Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A word about installing ROCKOUT rocker shaft inserts...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 01:24 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikes145
So, why waiting for my torque adapter to be delivered, I went into my toolbox and found that an offset 7/16" x 1/2" wrench worked as an extension. I put my 3/8" torque wrench onto the 7/16" end and it worked pretty good. I saved a few bucks and cancelled the order since it was going to be delivered late.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Well done Mike.

I went ahead and bought the dog bone extension(s). FWIW here are my observations:

It is darn near impossible to maintain the requisite 90 degree angle throughout the tightening process. No matter, IMHO, because the torque specs are low and cover a reasonably wide range and so, with the wrench set mid range, the small amount the angle winds up being off at the "click" amounts to SFA because the dog bone is so short !

Having committed to that opinion, I'd be most interested to have a mechanic or engineer chime in and tell me if I'm full of ****,,,, mechanically speaking of course.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:38 PM
Mikes145
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

I torqued the front cylinder without any extensions and before I tried using the torque wrench with the offset wrench extension on the rear, I doubled checked it on the already torqued front cylinder and it was the same. This isn't the space shuttle after all right?

Old 09-29-2016, 06:43 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

This site covers the calculation of using an adapter like a crows foot. https://www.engineersedge.com/manufa...e_wrench_1.htm

The following users liked this post:
HKMark23 (09-30-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 04:21 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I installed my Rockouts yesterday. I opted to replace the breathers also. I had rocker gaskets left over from my cam job, so I used them too. Besides a bone head move on my part, the install was easy. I also decided to replace the rocker arm bolts, and put chrome rocker bolts on, why not?

I was not expecting much from the Rockouts, but since I enjoy working on my bike I decided to put them in. I did not think my bike had a loud ticking "problem", maybey because my last bike had hydrosolid lifters, and DID tick like a time bomb.
All I can say is HOLY $HIT, dramatic difference, BIG difference! Now I realize how loud the ticking was. It is so quite now. I'm real happy and surprised how well they worked. Great product.

ROCKOUT Rocker Products (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 06:24 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by fullautomike
I installed my Rockouts yesterday. I opted to replace the breathers also. I had rocker gaskets left over from my cam job, so I used them too. Besides a bone head move on my part, the install was easy. I also decided to replace the rocker arm bolts, and put chrome rocker bolts on, why not?

I was not expecting much from the Rockouts, but since I enjoy working on my bike I decided to put them in. I did not think my bike had a loud ticking "problem", maybey because my last bike had hydrosolid lifters, and DID tick like a time bomb.
All I can say is HOLY $HIT, dramatic difference, BIG difference! Now I realize how loud the ticking was. It is so quite now. I'm real happy and surprised how well they worked. Great product.
Thanks man, made my weekend for sure. I know just how you felt starting it up, makes you want to go for a long ride doesn't it?

John @ Rockout

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

fullautomike (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 09:47 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Thanks man, made my weekend for sure. I know just how you felt starting it up, makes you want to go for a long ride doesn't it?

John @ Rockout

It was so quiet, I was afraid something was wrong. LOL I kept my stereo off so I could listen to........nothing. Thanks again for a simple product, that works wonders.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:31 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm glad you include five inserts! This was the first one; I did the remaining four with a little more care...Glad I did it but only slightly better, however I have Woods TW-7H cams that are pretty rowdy. Thanks for your research and invention!

Last edited by thereal142; 10-12-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:40 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by thereal142
I'm glad you include five inserts! This was the first one; I did the remaining four with a little more care...Glad I did it but only slightly better, however I have Woods TW-7H cams that are pretty rowdy. Thanks for your research and invention!

Looks like the insert caught on the casting flash in the bolt hole. As noted in the instructions it's important to get the insert past that before pressing it in.

Yep, Woods cams are known for being a bit loud. Great cams for power though from what I've seen.

John @ Rockout

Old 10-16-2016, 12:48 PM
liquidr1
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey rockout man. It seems I owe you an your product a serious apology. If you can find my post here, a while back I said that I didn't really hear that much difference in valve train noise after the install and I attributed it to my woods cams and they were just noisy. Well ive always had tons of clatter from 2500-3500 rpms that I thought was coming from the woods cams/lifters.

BOY WAS I WRONG. Today I was reving about and just happened to look down at my head pipe while holding RPM steady at 3000 rpm. I found the culprit of my clatter. My rear cylinder heat shield was vibrating against head pipe like a freaking jackhammer. I put the heal of my boot on the heat shield and the noise instantly stopped. OMG what an instant feeling of satisfaction. No more noise. I cant believe it. Iv been hearing this noise ever since I did my cam job back in December. I have been hearing that vibration that I thought was the valve train and all along I has been improper heat shield alignment on my fuel moto head pipe.

EDIT: I just went out and fixed my heat shields. No more vibration at any RPM. Its amazing, valve train is quiet. Even with woods cams and lifters. All this time I have not known what a quiet valve train sounded like. Before I did the cam job and the rockouts, I did notice lots of top end clicking and tapping. Now im positive that your product has resolved the issue.

Last edited by liquidr1; 10-16-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:57 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by liquidr1
Hey rockout man. It seems I owe you an your product a serious apology. If you can find my post here, a while back I said that I didn't really hear that much difference in valve train noise after the install and I attributed it to my woods cams and they were just noisy. Well ive always had tons of clatter from 2500-3500 rpms that I thought was coming from the woods cams/lifters.

BOY WAS I WRONG. Today I was reving about and just happened to look down at my head pipe while holding RPM steady at 3000 rpm. I found the culprit of my clatter. My rear cylinder heat shield was vibrating against head pipe like a freaking jackhammer. I put the heal of my boot on the heat shield and the noise instantly stopped. OMG what an instant feeling of satisfaction. No more noise. I cant believe it. Iv been hearing this noise ever since I did my cam job back in December. I have been hearing that vibration that I thought was the valve train and all along I has been improper heat shield alignment on my fuel moto head pipe.

EDIT: I just went out and fixed my heat shields. No more vibration at any RPM. Its amazing, valve train is quiet. Even with woods cams and lifters. All this time I have not known what a quiet valve train sounded like. Before I did the cam job and the rockouts, I did notice lots of top end clicking and tapping. Now im positive that your product has resolved the issue.

Thanks brother, that's great to hear!

I really appreciate your taking time to post the update.

John @ Rockout

Quick Reply: A word about installing ROCKOUT rocker shaft inserts...