Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loosing too much oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 11:55 PM
chief08
Road Master
Received 208 Likes on 105 Posts

stator plug sounds rite to me that's were mine leaked. cleaned it out real good put rtv in it and no more leak.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:02 AM
RoadKingHellas
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok thanks guys - I'll check the stator plug tonight , if its the one maybe an rtv should be enough rather than replacing totally .

Old 10-06-2015, 06:07 AM
collin
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a leak like that, it turned out to be the clutch cable somehow worked it's way between the front of the oil filter case and the rectifier/regulator and was pounding because of vibration against the filter and cracked the filter case. I have since zip tied it to the down tube.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:40 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKingHellas
ok thanks guys - I'll check the stator plug tonight , if its the one maybe an rtv should be enough rather than replacing totally .
If you dont absolutely get all the old oil cleaned off of let the rtv cure for almost 24 hours, it will leak again. There this sealant available at any auto zone or auto parts store called "The Right Stuff". Its 10x better than rtv and can be applied over oil and will still seal and is good to go within 10-20 minutes, however Id give it 8 hours or so to be safe.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:43 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

i beleive the oil pressure sensor is up near the oil filter, they leak sometimes..

Old 10-08-2015, 05:01 AM
RoadKingHellas
Cruiser

I clean the mess and let the motor run for 10 min in idle and there is no oil coming from the stator plug that's the good news.
Maybe leaving the bike running in idle is not enough - I am going tonight for a short ride and check again.
A very small amount of oil came out from one of the front engine mount screws - I did tight it up a little bit more , let's see

I am pretty sure its engine oil , the dipstick level is low.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:15 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfikser
i beleive the oil pressure sensor is up near the oil filter, they leak sometimes..

here is a video that shows where the oil sensor (sending unit) is located.. they leak through the body sometimes, and sometimes come loose and leak... it sounds like it is near where your issue is...

Old 10-09-2015, 05:13 AM
RoadKingHellas
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mrfikser
here is a video that shows where the oil sensor (sending unit) is located.. they leak through the body sometimes, and sometimes come loose and leak... it sounds like it is near where your issue is... Motorcycle Repair: How to Check the Engine Oil Pressure on a Harley Davidson Motorcycle - YouTube

Checked it , no leak there - have a chrome cover on it and once out , got surprise how clean the whole thing was ......

Old 10-09-2015, 06:28 AM
FLHPete
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same issue as collin. The clutch cable got wedged between the regulator and the oil filter. It eventually started to leak and ran down the clutch cable and dripped under the engine. Had me stumped for awhile. Replaced the oil filter and zip tied the cable to the frame - problem solved.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:05 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHPete
I had the same issue as collin. The clutch cable got wedged between the regulator and the oil filter. It eventually started to leak and ran down the clutch cable and dripped under the engine. Had me stumped for awhile. Replaced the oil filter and zip tied the cable to the frame - problem solved.
That Clutch cable = just as I suggested several posts ago - not a place most people look at

Quick Reply: Loosing too much oil