Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Idiot! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1078655-idiot.html)

Ibfuelish 10-29-2015 11:21 AM

Idiot!

So, I'm doing a Trans, Primary and engine oil change.

I finish the primary, move on to the engine oil. As I'm cleaning the oil drain plug and putting a fresh o-ring on, I realize I didn't put a drop of thread locker on my primary drain plug. I torqued it correctly and the HD service manual says nothing about thread locker on either of these drain plugs. But each one had thread locker on them from the factory.

Is everybody putting thread locker on their drain plugs? Should I redo the primary, or am I being overly safety conscious. I am riding two up in a couple of weeks for a couple thousand miles and losing that drain plug would really suck.

Or am I being a complete puss?

Donnybrook 10-29-2015 11:26 AM

I put some teflon thread tape on my drain plugs, never had a problem with leaking, or coming loose.

jaxdwg 10-29-2015 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ibfuelish (Post 14526908)
So, I'm doing a Trans, Primary and engine oil change.

I finish the primary, move on to the engine oil. As I'm cleaning the oil drain plug and putting a fresh o-ring on, I realize I didn't put a drop of thread locker on my primary drain plug. I torqued it correctly and the HD service manual says nothing about thread locker on either of these drain plugs. But each one had thread locker on them from the factory.

Is everybody putting thread locker on their drain plugs? Should I redo the primary, or am I being overly safety conscious. I am riding two up in a couple of weeks for a couple thousand miles and losing that drain plug would really suck.

Or am I being a complete puss?

I use Teflon tape on my drain plugs. As often as you change oil over the life of the bike, I don't think loctite there, is a very good idea. Jmo

sixguns 10-29-2015 11:39 AM

All you need is the o-ring, say no to tape or Loctite. The o-ring will seal and prevent any vibration that may loosen the plug.

The use of Teflon tape on pretty much anything that uses a plug will void the manufactures warranty.

Rathgar 10-29-2015 11:43 AM

You can't get the threads on the case completely clean of oil so I doubt loctite would work anyway.

TcHunter 10-29-2015 11:45 AM

No, I do not use thread locker. Like other post said no leaks and the o ring will prevent the plug from vibrating loose. Just make sure you use the recommended touqe specs and check for leaks after.

gilbert_roadking 10-29-2015 11:49 AM

3500 miles so far on a primary oil change. No thread lock or tape. Just a new o ring. Not a drop.

Jerry1834 10-29-2015 11:55 AM

All I have ever done was change the 'o' rings - never put any thread sealant and never a problem.....to each his own!

RaceFace 10-29-2015 12:12 PM

I use just a new O ring and never a leak. If you want to ensure it, maybe some teflon paste, but no thread locker. There's nothing wrong with a little extra effort in sealing it up.

Just Me 10-29-2015 12:16 PM

That's Teflon tape you were seeing. I have yet to ever change the o-ring just the tape for me.