Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idiot!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 11:21 AM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Idiot!

So, I'm doing a Trans, Primary and engine oil change.

I finish the primary, move on to the engine oil. As I'm cleaning the oil drain plug and putting a fresh o-ring on, I realize I didn't put a drop of thread locker on my primary drain plug. I torqued it correctly and the HD service manual says nothing about thread locker on either of these drain plugs. But each one had thread locker on them from the factory.

Is everybody putting thread locker on their drain plugs? Should I redo the primary, or am I being overly safety conscious. I am riding two up in a couple of weeks for a couple thousand miles and losing that drain plug would really suck.

Or am I being a complete puss?

Old 10-29-2015, 11:26 AM
Donnybrook
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I put some teflon thread tape on my drain plugs, never had a problem with leaking, or coming loose.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:30 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibfuelish
So, I'm doing a Trans, Primary and engine oil change.

I finish the primary, move on to the engine oil. As I'm cleaning the oil drain plug and putting a fresh o-ring on, I realize I didn't put a drop of thread locker on my primary drain plug. I torqued it correctly and the HD service manual says nothing about thread locker on either of these drain plugs. But each one had thread locker on them from the factory.

Is everybody putting thread locker on their drain plugs? Should I redo the primary, or am I being overly safety conscious. I am riding two up in a couple of weeks for a couple thousand miles and losing that drain plug would really suck.

Or am I being a complete puss?
I use Teflon tape on my drain plugs. As often as you change oil over the life of the bike, I don't think loctite there, is a very good idea. Jmo

Old 10-29-2015, 11:39 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

All you need is the o-ring, say no to tape or Loctite. The o-ring will seal and prevent any vibration that may loosen the plug.

The use of Teflon tape on pretty much anything that uses a plug will void the manufactures warranty.

Last edited by sixguns; 10-29-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:43 AM
Rathgar
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You can't get the threads on the case completely clean of oil so I doubt loctite would work anyway.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:45 AM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

No, I do not use thread locker. Like other post said no leaks and the o ring will prevent the plug from vibrating loose. Just make sure you use the recommended touqe specs and check for leaks after.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:49 AM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3500 miles so far on a primary oil change. No thread lock or tape. Just a new o ring. Not a drop.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:55 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

All I have ever done was change the 'o' rings - never put any thread sealant and never a problem.....to each his own!

Old 10-29-2015, 12:12 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I use just a new O ring and never a leak. If you want to ensure it, maybe some teflon paste, but no thread locker. There's nothing wrong with a little extra effort in sealing it up.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:16 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

That's Teflon tape you were seeing. I have yet to ever change the o-ring just the tape for me.

Quick Reply: Idiot!