Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Going inverted! 2014 SGS (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1078743-going-inverted-2014-sgs.html)

ScrapingFloorBoards 10-29-2015 10:47 PM

Going inverted! 2014 SGS

2 Attachment(s)
I'm working with Kraus motor co. to upgrade the suspension on my 2014 SGS. They will be using my bike as a prototype for a bolt on kit there offering to the public in the near future. I will post pics and progress reports. And if your interested in upgrading the suspension on your touring model, dyna, fxr, or sportster check em out. I'm super stoked about this build! I can't wait to ride this thing when it's done. I've included some pics of there other builds so you can see why I'm so stoked!

http://www.krausmotorco.com/

tj316 10-30-2015 07:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Inverted won't help your ride , it's what's inside that counts. On my 2011 I'm running motorcyclemetals 49mm triple trees , 49mm forks with Ohlin's 30mm fully adjustable cartridges inside. The 49mm forks reduce flex but the Ohlin's 30mm cartridges give you the ride , he offers them in inverted too.

sbeast 10-30-2015 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by tj316 (Post 14529228)
Inverted won't help your ride , it's what's inside that counts. On my 2011 I'm running motorcyclemetals 49mm triple trees , 49mm forks with Ohlin's 30mm fully adjustable cartridges inside. The 49mm forks reduce flex but the Ohlin's 30mm cartridges give you the ride , he offers them in inverted too.

Inverted forks make a world of difference. They're inherently stiffer than regular, and greatly reduce unsprung mass. Yeah, the guts play a role too, but there's a reason all performance bikes use inverted systems, they're just better. Plus, they have that beefy look HD loves to imitate with their cowbell covers.

bikerlaw 10-30-2015 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by tj316 (Post 14529228)
Inverted won't help your ride , it's what's inside that counts.

Lol, what? Totally false. Reduction of unsprung weight is the very basis of inverted forks, and the reason EVERY performance motorcycle uses them. Both, Harleys XR 1200 and the Buells use them, for that very reason.
Edit: and some VRODS as well.

tj316 10-30-2015 10:04 AM

Inverted forks with shit inside them are better than regular forks with shit inside them but not on par with my system , not even close . The 49mm forks are much stiffer and the 30mm Ohlins fully adjustable cartridges give you the performance. Motorcycle metals offers inverted forks with Ohlins 30mm cartridges inside them , if I went inverted that's how I would go , then you have the best of everything , simply inverting a fork without upgrading the components will only give you marginal improvements . When you talk of racing bikes with inverted forks look at what is inside them , the majority are running 30mm Ohlins inside.

Bmusg 10-30-2015 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by ScrapingFloorBoards (Post 14528778)
I'm working with Kraus motor co. to upgrade the suspension on my 2014 SGS. They will be using my bike as a prototype for a bolt on kit there offering to the public in the near future. I will post pics and progress reports. And if your interested in upgrading the suspension on your touring model, dyna, fxr, or sportster check em out. I'm super stoked about this build! I can't wait to ride this thing when it's done. I've included some pics of there other builds so you can see why I'm so stoked!

http://www.krausmotorco.com/

It looks like the kit is using Ohlins inverted forks. Is that the case? Also, will the touring model work with or require radial brakes? Looks like a pretty cool idea, definitely more than I would spend on forks but still cool.

jamess71 10-30-2015 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by tj316 (Post 14529903)
Inverted forks with shit inside them are better than regular forks with shit inside them but not on par with my system , not even close . The 49mm forks are much stiffer and the 30mm Ohlins fully adjustable cartridges give you the performance. Motorcycle metals offers inverted forks with Ohlins 30mm cartridges inside them , if I went inverted that's how I would go , then you have the best of everything , simply inverting a fork without upgrading the components will only give you marginal improvements . When you talk of racing bikes with inverted forks look at what is inside them , the majority are running 30mm Ohlins inside.

And what makes you think Kraus would go through all the trouble of building this kit and then use shit inside them? Of course they would not.

tj316 10-30-2015 11:17 AM

This is nothing new , Howard has been making inverted forks for XR and FXR for years and for dressers a few years back , click on inverted forks on his web page , you have to also upgrade to 6 piston brembo with his system , there's a picture of a Roadglide he did several years ago

vizcarmb 10-30-2015 11:28 AM

mmmm im kinda jealous. But that is one expensive build. Does the price include the triple trees, calipers, and the master cylinder? I mean if youre going big might as well get the brembo M50 monoblocs. If you have ABS, I wonder how they will retrofit the ABS sensor to make it work.

Anyways, Not everyone lives in FL to go to Howards shop. You should definitely check the website out.

Joe12RK 10-30-2015 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by vizcarmb (Post 14530191)
... If you have ABS, I wonder how they will retrofit the ABS sensor to make it work...

They would be smart to maintain the same spacing between the bottoms of the forks so stock axles and wheel spacers would work. Then the ABS sensor would fit where the stock one fits.