Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPG Open trailers VS enclosed V nose

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 04:09 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 388 Likes on 243 Posts

I've towed up to three bikes on an open 7x14 single axle cross county without issue. It has an expanded metal ramp but if I'm only towing one or two I can lay it down on the trailer deck and it pulls like it's not even behind me. I pull it with my 02 Tahoe or my wife's 13 Yukon Denali. For my next trailer I'd like a little longer and two axles. The single has done fine for me over lots of miles despite what everyone here thinks of them.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:53 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a 24' enclosed trailer I've used it for many things. And in the winter I store the lawn tractor and a bunch of summer items in it. That way my truck fits in the garage.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:46 AM
jenglish007
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rv7garage
Since I already own a Wells Cargo 6x10 v-nose, that is what I use. Yeah I take an MPG hit, but I really do like the security and weather protection it gives (for whatever I’m hauling). I put electric brakes on it which was a nice upgrade, and my V6 Tacoma handles it fine.

Those enclosed Iron Horse units do look good tho!
Just out of Curiosity how much does the 6x10 V-Nose weigh?

Old 02-21-2018, 10:46 AM
mabhd06
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
I would not be worrying about fuel mileage.
I would be more concerned about wether or not the bike should be enclosed.
Originally Posted by mkguitar
you really want:

2 axles

brakes

I have seen more single axle trailers rolled at the side of the road than I can count.

the most recent and spectacular was an open trailer with a single axle, no brakes.
2 roadkings strapped in, side by each

the right tire tire blew, the trailer dropped down on the right side and started pulling.

the driver braked hard

the trailer has no brakes and tried to pass the suv on the right.

it jerked and one of the roadkings went over the side...it;s straps pulling the other road king and the trailer on top.

mpg should be the least of your concerns, check the rating of you van- what can it pull, how much tongue weight

an open trailer will have alot of drag and may offer more resistance than an enclosed trailer - a V front will do better, but see if that is wasted space

mike
Even if it is an old thread this is good advice. I have a class c rv and a 12 x 7 tandem axel you can tell it's there but the mileage is maybe one mpg less

Old 02-21-2018, 04:29 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
you really want:

2 axles

brakes

I have seen more single axle trailers rolled at the side of the road than I can count.

the most recent and spectacular was an open trailer with a single axle, no brakes.
2 roadkings strapped in, side by each

the right tire tire blew, the trailer dropped down on the right side and started pulling.

the driver braked hard

the trailer has no brakes and tried to pass the suv on the right.

it jerked and one of the roadkings went over the side...it;s straps pulling the other road king and the trailer on top.

mpg should be the least of your concerns, check the rating of you van- what can it pull, how much tongue weight

an open trailer will have alot of drag and may offer more resistance than an enclosed trailer - a V front will do better, but see if that is wasted space

mike

I have both. The closed trailer allows much better fuel mileage than the open. I have pulled both at hiway speeds. The overall difference in mpg is around four mpg. Protection from the elements and security should also be considered. Hope this helps.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:19 PM
FredCa
Cruiser
Received 79 Likes on 38 Posts

We only tow enclosed. The piece of mind that our bike is out of the elements and secure more than v offsets the added costs. I also added brakes for additional safety.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:55 PM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,857 Likes on 906 Posts

Unless I couldn’t afford it I would absolutely always and only buy an enclosed trailer for bike hauling of any distance. Sure, you can do it on many lesser trailers and have no problem. I just prefer the protection and security offered by having the bike inside. I also use the cargo trailer to haul any additional gear (often in totes) going on the trip. V nose trailers with dual axles and brakes are what I prefer.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:07 PM
rv7garage
Road Master
Received 198 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by jenglish007
Just out of Curiosity how much does the 6x10 V-Nose weigh?
Curb weight of about 1000# for my 6x10

Old 02-22-2018, 05:56 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I lost a 6 x 12 single axle on the highway in slippery conditions once. I was passing a semi when the draft off the front of the semi hit the trailer and sent it swaying wildly and ultimately sent me into the median with it on it's side and yes I had over 200# on the tongue. Not that I wouldn't haul a single again I would just be more mindful of my surroundings and conditions. I have towed various pieces of farm equipment and boats all my life so I am not a newbie at it.

If I had to buy I would either go light and open like an Aluma Lite with a rock guard for protection or dual axle enclosed depending on what I was going to do with it. I tow so infrequently I just rent U-Hauls for when I have to.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:36 AM
Mallard Slayer
Road Warrior
Received 4,159 Likes on 1,125 Posts

gas mileage what gas mileage my truck has the 8.1 liter with the Allison trans I get 7-8 MPG

Quick Reply: MPG Open trailers VS enclosed V nose