Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock air cleaner over screamin eagle

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 06:20 AM
Hazzardousmat
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bought my bike used and it had the Screamin Eagle Big Sucker Air on it. I dont notice any noise from it. But then again, I didnt get to hear it stock. One of my bro's has the stock and I cant tell any difference.. Just saying

Old 11-30-2015, 06:05 AM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Its NOT the reversion pulse im hearing but more like a whistly raspy sound if that makes sence. I hear the air going in and not the pulse. With the outer football over the high flow breather the sound is all but gone so ill live with it. I want to hear the pipes only, not air being sucked in. Just me that's all

randy

Old 11-30-2015, 06:14 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by cajun1957a
Its NOT the reversion pulse im hearing but more like a whistly raspy sound if that makes sence. I hear the air going in and not the pulse. With the outer football over the high flow breather the sound is all but gone so ill live with it. I want to hear the pipes only, not air being sucked in. Just me that's all

randy
I am jealous. You can hear the "sucking" sound! If I lean down while accelerating, I hear it. Personally, I think it sounds great, as if it wasn't making the sucking sound, it wouldn't need the air it was pulling....
But your comment about the "whistly" sound.... It might be that the cover is restricting the air flow, hence the sound.... The same cover that is probably covering up (no pun intended) the reversion sound.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:28 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,257 Likes on 818 Posts

The stock cover should not hurt air flow through a screamn eagle intake at all. Too far away from the filter media to impinge air flow.

Does make quite a difference with regards to noise. Also doesn't attract eyes and attention.

Have this combination on my bike.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:33 AM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

Is this a serious thread or is my hearing that bad

Old 11-30-2015, 06:45 AM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Hate Work
I have a Kury free breather with the Alley Cat cover. Yes, the reversion is noisy.... Personally, I just don't like the look of the football cover.
Has anyone tried putting a 2014 or later cover? Does it cover? (The Kury looks just like the Arlen Ness but has filter material on the top too....)
I have the S/E back plate, same Kury element and a 2014 cover on my 2002 carbed bike.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:24 AM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

The sound is when I have the high volume breather on and not when I have the original football outer cover over the high flow set up. To give a rough example, when watching an old war movie and you hear the dive bombers diving, that is the sound when getting on the throttle when the stock outercover is not on.

randy

Old 11-30-2015, 09:39 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Randy: The Football cover is not restrictive at all, keep it on, but check all nuts & bolts
in and around your intake. If the intake noise bothers keep the stock cover on the AC.

Back in the late 50s to the mid 70s, auto manufactures worked hard to get that big rush of air
sound that their engines made when the carburetors were wide open. There were air scoops,
ram air vents, and cowl induction hoods on most every performance car sold then. I still love
the sound when all 4 Barrels of my Holley are wide open on our 56 Chevy.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:48 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by OldPhat
Randy: The Football cover is not restrictive at all, keep it on, but check all nuts & bolts
in and around your intake. If the intake noise bothers keep the stock cover on the AC.

Back in the late 50s to the mid 70s, auto manufactures worked hard to get that big rush of air
sound that their engines made when the carburetors were wide open. There were air scoops,
ram air vents, and cowl induction hoods on most every performance car sold then. I still love
the sound when all 4 Barrels of my Holley are wide open on our 56 Chevy.
============================================

" I still love the sound when all 4 Barrels of my Holley are wide open on our 56 Chevy. "

LOL!!!

I love that sound too!

I have a 69 chevelle ss 396 4spd (muncie M21) & 12 bolt posi (3:31's) i bought from the original owner in 1978 i get the same exact sensation from.

I rblt the motor using a moderate lvl (street friendly) hyd FT perf cam ,mild pocket porting of heads,manley race flow valves that are swirl polished & undercut for better flow ,comp cams roller tip rockers,.030" over (now 402ci) speed pro forged pistons (approx 9.8-10.0 comp) along with stock ex manifolds being extrude honed for better flow , 2.5" mandrell bent ex pipes front to back with stock type tailpipes -50 series flowmasters & chrome tips ,stock cast iron q-jet intake that for 69 is a semi high rise for q-jet and tweaked by me for increased perf q-jet too putting out an est 385-390hp/440-450lbs trq + - few HP / LBS TRQ.

It sounds great when the huge secondaries of the q-jet are wide open while rowing thru the gears (watching your competition fade away in your mirror!) from approx 3,600rpm thru it's approx 5,650-5,700 rpm top end shift point (due to mild perf cam) with the stock type chrome 396-L35 350hp open element type air cleaner it has along with the better breathing K&N air filter it's got too allowing you to better hear that old school BBC sucking in gobs of air at top end rpm.

BBBBWWWWWHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAA!

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 11-30-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:24 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott
============================================

" I still love the sound when all 4 Barrels of my Holley are wide open on our 56 Chevy. "

LOL!!!

I love that sound too!

I have a 69 chevelle ss 396 4spd (muncie M21) & 12 bolt posi (3:31's) i bought from the original owner in 1978 i get the same exact sensation from.

I rblt the motor using a moderate lvl (street friendly) hyd FT perf cam ,mild pocket porting of heads,manley race flow valves that are swirl polished & undercut for better flow ,comp cams roller tip rockers,.030" over (now 402ci) speed pro forged pistons (approx 9.8-10.0 comp) along with stock ex manifolds being extrude honed for better flow , 2.5" mandrell bent ex pipes front to back with stock type tailpipes -50 series flowmasters & chrome tips ,stock cast iron q-jet intake that for 69 is a semi high rise for q-jet and tweaked by me for increased perf q-jet too putting out an est 385-390hp/440-450lbs trq + - few HP / LBS TRQ.

It sounds great when the huge secondaries of the q-jet are wide open while rowing thru the gears (watching your competition fade away in your mirror!) from approx 3,600rpm thru it's approx 5,650-5,700 rpm top end shift point (due to mild perf cam) with the stock type chrome 396-L35 350hp open element type air cleaner it has along with the better breathing K&N air filter it's got too allowing you to better hear that old school BBC sucking in gobs of air at top end rpm.

BBBBWWWWWHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAA!

Scott
I was at the river back in the day and Mickey Thompson's wife and daughter took me for a ride in his built Olds powered inboard with 4 duel throat Weber carbs. They thought I was crazy because I had my head stuck right above them at speed. Man did that engine sing.

Quick Reply: stock air cleaner over screamin eagle