Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slip on mufflers for FLTRXS

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 03:15 PM
End Loser
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

IMO, the stock mufflers should be changed before decatting your header pipe. I saw a marked improvement by doing just the mufflers. If you decat the header, you are still limited by the clogged up stock mufflers. I have the same bike.

Also, finding a decat header or getting someone to do the work, and you having to spend time on the job removing parts and replacing, is way more expensive than $600 slip-ons. Labor on the slip-ons was cheap!

Last edited by End Loser; 01-09-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:07 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by End Loser
IMO, the stock mufflers should be changed before decatting your header pipe. I saw a marked improvement by doing just the mufflers. If you decat the header, you are still limited by the clogged up stock mufflers. I have the same bike.

Also, finding a decat header or getting someone to do the work, and you having to spend time on the job removing parts and replacing, is way more expensive than $600 slip-ons. Labor on the slip-ons was cheap!
Please post your before and after dyno sheets that show this marked improvement.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:54 AM
Hitch2016
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen a thread that explain how to do-it-yourself decat the original header.
I've searched the forum trying to find this info again with no luck... Can anyone help?

Old 01-10-2016, 09:00 AM
End Loser
Tourer

Originally Posted by '05Train
Please post your before and after dyno sheets that show this marked improvement.
Are you saying that the stock mufflers should be kept on and just decat the header?

Old 01-10-2016, 10:08 AM
End Loser
Tourer

'05Train, so I looked at Fuel Moto's dyno sheets and you're right, there is no difference in stock vs. slip-ons as far as HP and TQ are concerned. But I'm still sticking to my opinion that the slip-ons are a better change than just the decatted head pipe. It just feels like it runs better in the higher RPMs. Doesn't feel as sluggish and sounds better too.

Have a good day.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:31 AM
GEORGEW
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Old 01-10-2016, 10:37 AM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

simmons1, are you still here???? I know no one has answered your questions about the 909s or the V&Hs. Talking to the owners goes along with listening to other bikes. You need to know if the bike, if newer, still has the cats. Only you can decide what sounds good.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:12 PM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I've talked with a Cobra rep a few weeks ago.The Cobra 909 is there stereo friendly muffler.Theres sound bites on there website.Kerker stouts are another good choice for a little more rumble.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:23 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Are you saying that the stock mufflers should be kept on and just decat the header?
'05Train, so I looked at Fuel Moto's dyno sheets and you're right, there is no difference in stock vs. slip-ons as far as HP and TQ are concerned. But I'm still sticking to my opinion that the slip-ons are a better change than just the decatted head pipe. It just feels like it runs better in the higher RPMs. Doesn't feel as sluggish and sounds better too.

Have a good day.
That's what I'm saying. It's all about the sound, not so much the power. I went whole hog with my stuff on the CVO and the FLHTK, and honestly, the "restrictive" CVO mufflers I'm running now have given me no different results seat-of-the-pants wise to those loud bikes.

I don't like the look of the stock mufflers, which is why I replaced them. I'm flat-out in love with the lack of noise and the deep sound of the CVO mufflers with the DX headpipe. The horsepower or two I'm missing doesn't make a difference on a 900 pound motorcycle.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:02 AM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I installed Klockwerks slip ons on my 15 RGS, had a set on my 09 SG liked them a lot so I ordered another set for the new bike..

Reasonably priced in my opinion and nice sound.

Quick Reply: slip on mufflers for FLTRXS