Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Older style cruise and new cruise control swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 07:25 AM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older style cruise and new cruise control swap

Good morning all,

I have 2012 RKC with the cruise control on both left and right grips. Turn on left side - set and increase/decrease speed on the right side. I have never liked this setup and think the newer cruise with everything on the left is a great idea.

Question - is the new cruise setup something that can be installed on an older bike? Not sure if this is a crazy question or not, but was wondering if that is even possible and what it would take if it were.

Anyone out there ever thought of that and changed it?

Thanks!

Old 01-19-2016, 07:27 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,375 Likes on 2,624 Posts

I've never heard of such a cruise control arrangement. I had a '12 RKC, it had the switch on the right hand grip, where they all are. I'd love to see a pic of what you are talking about.

[edit] so I just re-read your post. Yes, the on/off switch is separate (dont remember it being on the left grip, but whatever.)

In any case, I just always left cruise control set to ON, no big deal. Not sure why you wouldnt just do that.

Last edited by Keithhu; 01-19-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:30 AM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I've never heard of such a cruise control arrangement. I had a '12 RKC, it had the switch on the right hand grip, where they all are. I'd love to see a pic of what you are talking about.
The on/off toggle is on the left and the accel/decel is on the right - that is actually what you probably have. I have never liked that my "throttle" hand is the hand that adjusts the speed up or down. My thumb is just short enough that I have to adjust my grip to initially set the speed. Once set it is not a big deal, but clearly Harley rethought the engineering of this since the newer bikes have all of the on/off and accel/decel on the left grip.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:31 AM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Keithhu
In any case, I just always left cruise control set to ON, no big deal. Not sure why you wouldnt just do that.
Yep - always leave it on - that is not the issue. My issues are with the accel/decel being on the right grip with the throttle.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:53 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,261 Likes on 821 Posts

Would require some custom fab work on your part, but a four way rocker switch could be wired in to do the job. A junkyard sourced outside mirror switch from a car would get you the switch.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:59 AM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Would require some custom fab work on your part, but a four way rocker switch could be wired in to do the job. A junkyard sourced outside mirror switch from a car would get you the switch.
Thanks foxtrapper. I was thinking more along the lines of if I bought the actual switch etc from Harley for the newer bikes and attempted to get that to work with the existing electrical?

I am wondering if I would need to replace the left housing to the newer or if that is even an option?

Old 01-19-2016, 08:49 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Can't say. I don't know the wiring of both to compare. Similar a lack of knowledge regarding the housings.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:54 AM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Can't say. I don't know the wiring of both to compare. Similar a lack of knowledge regarding the housings.
Yep - me neither. May call Harley and talk with a tech and find out. I did notice that my post may be confusing for non RK owners. I was researching and see that the RG's EG's etc... have all of the controls on what appear to be the right side. Road Kings must be different in that regard.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:02 AM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser

Ok, probably should have started with the dealer - my apologies to all who killed brain cells wondering about this and helping.

In 2014 Harley switched to the new cruise control on their bikes and that was a change to the ECM and all electrical related to the cruise control as well. There is no upgrade path for this for a bike older than 2014.

So this thread is closed and thank you to anyone who responded.

At least we know...

Old 01-19-2016, 09:13 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Just because Harley changed the ECM and such for the cruise control doesn't mean the switches can't be swapped. A switch is a switch. You just need to figure out the cutting and splicing needed to make it work.

Quick Reply: Older style cruise and new cruise control swap