Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal for ohlins shocks, pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 07:06 PM
hemi1300
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by buell95
Ok it's your money a shame to see you trash a nice pair of shocks.
If I did something wrong with the install, please advise bc I am all ears and open for suggestions if I installed the ohlins incorrectly. But I installed exactly per ohlins instructions and called them to confirm that rub marks on the plastic collar is completely normal, and that is the sole purpose of that plastic collar

Old 03-22-2016, 07:12 PM
buell95
Road Warrior
Received 497 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by hemi1300
If I did something wrong with the install, please advise bc I am all ears and open for suggestions if I installed the ohlins incorrectly. But I installed exactly per ohlins instructions and called them to confirm that rub marks on the plastic collar is completely normal, and that is the sole purpose of that plastic collar

Sent you a pm.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:25 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Curious, how in the hell would u check the shock with a straight edge anyway? As long as the washers/spacers are the same top and bottom I should be good. For a $900 set of shocks, I wouldn't think I would have to check with a straight edge and install a 1mm washer here or there to get it lined up perfectly, or tighten the bolts in a certain sequence
You are checking this without the shock on. Straight edge from bolt hole to bolt hole and adjust as needed.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:29 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

The mere mention of Ohlins and the obsessive compulsiveness abounds.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:24 PM
sel53
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Depending on the springs I put on, mine did this too. Same story from Ohlins, too. From every check I can do, there are no alignment issues like some of the folks here are discussing.

But ... I don't really like it, so I just take a little time after mounting the shocks to center the spring around the shock body, top and bottom. Just look at the gap between the spring and shock, all around, and push the spring where it seats to make it as uniform as possible.

This seemed to get rid of the scraping for me, and surprisingly it stays put over a lot of miles.

Good luck.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:30 AM
Bikeagraman
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

What you have on your shocks is not normal. Unfortunately, Ohlin's instructions are not good. Although they provide you extra spacers, you should only install what is necessary after you go through the alignment process. I purchased my Ohlins from Howard (3-3 on Howard's website and Ohlins model is 159), so I received his alignment instructions. Alignment check is necessary before installing the shocks.

I can't post Howard's instructions here, because i don't want to violate any copy right he has. I hope Buell95 has reached out to you, and hopefully he is sharing his alignment steps with you. If not, pm me.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:19 AM
hemi1300
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bikeagraman
What you have on your shocks is not normal. Unfortunately, Ohlin's instructions are not good. Although they provide you extra spacers, you should only install what is necessary after you go through the alignment process. I purchased my Ohlins from Howard (3-3 on Howard's website and Ohlins model is 159), so I received his alignment instructions. Alignment check is necessary before installing the shocks.

I can't post Howard's instructions here, because i don't want to violate any copy right he has. I hope Buell95 has reached out to you, and hopefully he is sharing his alignment steps with you. If not, pm me.
One other concern I have, are u supposed to loosen and tighten the nylon screw when adjusting preload? Tried to loosen the screw a bit to adjust the preload collar but the screw didn't want to budge and I didn't want to force it and break it clean in half

Old 03-23-2016, 08:27 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,565 Likes on 1,083 Posts

One other concern I have, are u supposed to loosen and tighten the nylon screw when adjusting preload? Tried to loosen the screw a bit to adjust the preload collar but the screw didn't want to budge and I didn't want to force it and break it clean in half
It's a nylon adjuster. The owners manual states the following:
5 Mechanical Adjuster
Unlock the nylon screw on the spring adjuster with a screwdriver (5A). Use tool (03199-01) and turn the spring adjuster clockwise to increase the preload (5B), turn counter clockwise to decrease it.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SpringPreload.pdf (131.8 KB, 121 views)
Old 03-23-2016, 01:47 PM
Cpl Ed
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Have 100 miles or so on my ohlins hd159 rear shocks on 14 sgs. Noticed just one shock has rubbed slightly on the plastic collar housing around the shock body. See pic below, anyone know if this is normal before I contact ohlins?

This is my installed HD159's after 60 miles. Coil clearance all the way around the housing is approx. 1/8 inch. NO rubbing of any kind on my '04 Road King.

Attached Thumbnails Is this normal for ohlins shocks, pics-dscn0024.jpg   Is this normal for ohlins shocks, pics-dscn0025.jpg   Is this normal for ohlins shocks, pics-dscn0026.jpg  
Old 03-23-2016, 04:14 PM
hemi1300
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Cpl Ed
This is my installed HD159's after 60 miles. Coil clearance all the way around the housing is approx. 1/8 inch. NO rubbing of any kind on my '04 Road King.
I hate you. One thing I did notice while adjusting the pre load is the spring will move around a bit and one side may be up against the plastic collar. A quick eyeball after adjusting and pulling the spring over seems to pop it into into place where it's centered around the shock body. Even if I had a small gap from top to bottom and the shocks weren't sitting perfectly level, I wouldn't think that would cause the spring to shift over and rub against the body

Quick Reply: Is this normal for ohlins shocks, pics