Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the HD Infotainment sytem use gpx files?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 07:34 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Does the HD Infotainment sytem use gpx files?

If I develope a gpx file, can the HD system upload the route?

Old 05-02-2016, 07:39 AM
KSRoadKing
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, gpx will work. That's actually how the Harley Ride Planner web site exports it.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:43 AM
CRocks
Road Master

Outstanding, thanx for your help!

Old 05-02-2016, 07:48 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

cant stop staring at ksroadking avetar. getting cross eyed.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:28 AM
CRocks
Road Master

Havin a problem! I've got an RK so I obviously don't have the HD infotainment system. But, I developed a route for a BIG ride we're takin out in 2 weeks + it works flawlessly on my Garmin. Imported it into 2 other road captains bikes that have the HD system it it won't follow the route. The HD system sees the gpx file + uploads it, but then it won't follow it. Any help/personal experience would be greatly appreciated. I was hopin to not have to re-do the whole thing on HD's Ride Planner. I'm guessin the Basecamp map were the route was developed is different than the map used by the HD nav system.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:47 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,359 Likes on 1,922 Posts
Old 07-04-2016, 11:03 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 577 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by CRocks
Havin a problem! I've got an RK so I obviously don't have the HD infotainment system. But, I developed a route for a BIG ride we're takin out in 2 weeks + it works flawlessly on my Garmin. Imported it into 2 other road captains bikes that have the HD system it it won't follow the route. The HD system sees the gpx file + uploads it, but then it won't follow it. Any help/personal experience would be greatly appreciated. I was hopin to not have to re-do the whole thing on HD's Ride Planner. I'm guessin the Basecamp map were the route was developed is different than the map used by the HD nav system.
Lots of threads on this subject. If you want to make a route that can be used "universally" across multiple GPS units, here's a few things to remember:
  • Route needs to be defined with many waypoints. The more waypoints, the less influence the GPS unit's individual algorithms have on making unintended route changes.
  • Waypoints need to be placed close to intersections with turns, but not in the intersection itself.
  • GPS units should all have their routing options set the same. Using many waypoints and shortest route option generally will provide more consistent results between units.
  • Garmin GPX files usually contain more information than is required by the HD units. This can be remedied by using the freeware program Route Converter. Open the GPX with Route Converter. If there are multiple routes showing in the pull down, you should delete the partial/incomplete routes, leaving only the single complete route. At this point you can also zoom in on each waypoint to verify it is on the roadway & not off to the side (if a waypoint gets placed slightly off the road, it will cause the GPS to reroute trying to go through the misplaced waypoint). Once reviewed & your have confirmed routing is correct & complete, save the file and that's the one to share.

The following users liked this post:
t059736 (07-05-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 02:17 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

A while ago, someone posted a pdf (i think) about using Garmin's Base Camp and making routes. i thought i saved a copy or book marked it. anyone remember where that was.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:54 AM
CRocks
Road Master

OK, I'll try downloading Route Converter and see if that sheds any light on the problem. Don't understand, my Garmin follows routes to a TEE with minimal waypoints. If the HD system is runnin the same gpx file, it oughta do likewise.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:58 AM
GaJayhawk
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

A lot of good points have been made in this thread. For me, I've found there are two basic situations I in which use my GPS. The first is to punch in a destination and ask the GPS to "get me there". I don't care about the routing, I just want to get to my destination. The HD GPS does fine with that, and I've had minimal issues. The second is following a pre-planned route, imported from a ride planning source like HD Ride Planner. I've encountered a lot of unintended outcomes with this use of the GPS.

I've recently been on two separate weeklong trips with 8 to 10 bikes, with routes planned in HD Ride Planner, and with the routes uploaded to the several bikes having the Boom GPS. We experienced a lot of "issues" with the route not running as planned, and also, the route running differently on bikes with the same route plan uploaded. We learned a lot about GPS routing and the HD system as a result. There are a lot of variables to manage.

HD Ride Planner is generally easy to use, however, it does not have the option to select planning "preferences" that affect the algorithm that determines a routing. Between Locations and Waypoints, you can shape the route you see on your computer screen, but it is the Ride Planner algorithm that is interpreting those places and shaping the route. There are several good points about how to shape the route in Ride Planner in this string. However, when you export that "route", it is exported from Ride Planner as a .gpx file, and a .gpx file is nothing more than a list of individual Location and Waypoint coordinates. You're are not exporting a "route" per se, you are simply exporting a series of places the importing GPS will route through.

When your GPS device imports your .gpx file, it uses its own routing algorithm to calculate the routing between each location and waypoint. Most GPS's (HD, Garmin, TomTom, Magellan, etc) have slightly different algorithms, and typically have user settings that can modify the routing process. (Shortest, Fastest, etc). So, it is very likely that a single .gpx file uploaded to different GPS devices will produce a variation from the originally intended route across the different GPS devices.

Just to get the same routing on several different bikes with the Boom GPS there are several variables that have to be the same: Software version (current 1.19.2), Map Database (most current is 2014 Q2, but Rushmore bikes range from 2012 Q2 to 2014 Q2), Preferences (Fastest, shortest, etc), Avoidances (Highways, Un-paved, Tollways, etc). If any of those 4 variables aren't the same across all bikes, you'll likely get a variation of the route on the different bikes. Each GPS will get you to the next location or waypoint, but the route calculation may vary because of differences in any of those four.

The following users liked this post:
t059736 (07-05-2016)

Quick Reply: Does the HD Infotainment sytem use gpx files?