Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Harley Bagger & need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 09:38 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by The Silver Viking
Street glide, Road Glide, Ultra Glide, Electra Glide, etc... Man, it's a lot to figure out and even dealer salesmen aren't sure about everything.

I'm looking to go coast to coast but stop in cities for around town stuff along the way.

Thanks!
having ridden a 88ci 5 speed for years, all else aside, I'd look at 2008 and up so you get a 6 speed tranny and a 6 gallon gas tank (unless you found a super deal on something older that is).

I have a 96 and a 103, maybe its just me, but the 103 isn't a dealbreaker upgrade on the road (both have a 6 speed tranny).

As for aesthetics- many tout the Roadglide and its great handling, personally I could never digest the sharknose fairing, many cant. If you can't, it immediately leaves the list and your choice is easier.

tourpak or not will be another question. You have to add one to a Streetglide (more $$), and to some RGs not the Ultras

Yea, have to test ride.

Also, you'll prob be buying a seat...most of us do to make the bike 'fit', tack on another $500. Many dealers have loaner programs where you can check out a seat for a day to test. Well worth it.

Local bike nights at the local bar are a good place to browse models and ask questions. You can see what you like and dont' like and get info from the bike owner and not the salesman on how the bike handles etc. At least I find that useful.

Good luck.

Last edited by F150HD; 05-27-2016 at 09:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
The Silver Viking (05-28-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 10:19 PM
nccinstaller
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am 6'5" 250lbs. I have a 2015 road glide and it is best bike I have ever owned. I did a couple tall guys mods like extended shifter and brake controls, apes, and a lepera daddy long legs seat. It is an extremely comfortable ride and on the highway it is rock solid.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:38 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

6'4" you must have been cramped on a Deluxe. I will also suggest Road Glide. Set yourself a budget, and research what is available within it. Every model year has it's + & -. You won't go wrong with a fugly.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:52 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 537 Likes on 380 Posts

Go wth a road king. The right windshield and a set of fangs will give you all the wind protection you need. I've got a set of 1 inch forward floorboards that are all yours if ya get a bike they fit.Thanks for your service.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:04 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,231 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
.......... of course, i could be biased
nope. just smart

Old 05-27-2016, 11:11 PM
Ultraboy105
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Went from a 2001 Heritage to a 2003 ultra. Being 6'4" I was definitely more comfortable on the Heritage, but the wifey wasn't having it anymore. I'm now on a '14 Limited and remove the trunk when not touring. This thing is awesome. I have a CVO hammock heated seat, 10" bars and highway pegs. Sun up to sun down no problem. The road glide and Electra glide are the same chassis. If you put a similar position bar on either, the fit is the same. The difference is that the RG has better storage but you have less protection from the elements. Electra glide definitely offers better protection. IMO you should just buy a '14 or newer bagger and dump the deluxe.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:15 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
Road Glide...
Originally Posted by ! rock103 !
I am betting that with your height you will be most comfortable on a Road Glide. Not to mention they handle nimbly similar to what you're used to. And nothing handles as well as a RG on the highway. Just my two cents, but you're buying so I offered. I agree with the test ride theory as well. I am also willing to bet that you will come to the same conclusion after comparing the RG to a non-fixed fairing touring model. Thank you for your service from a fellow vet and good luck in your search!
Originally Posted by groupw
.. Road Glide's the only one

...... lemme tell ya, the Road Glide eats highway miles by the hundreds, set the cruise & let'r roll
.......... of course, i could be biased
Originally Posted by nccinstaller
I am 6'5" 250lbs. I have a 2015 road glide and it is best bike I have ever owned...
Originally Posted by larsfum
6'4" you must have been cramped on a Deluxe. I will also suggest Road Glide...
While I'm not 6'4", I've read several comments over the last year or two from tall riders. Almost every one prefers the Road Glide over the batwing models for the simple reason that the fairing is a little farther away, and they feel less cramped. One tall ride said that riding a batwing model felt like he was in a Smart Car.

However, the only solution is to ride them both and see which one feels better to you.

Regarding your budget...if you can swing it, get an '09 or newer. The frame was completely changed for that year, and it really makes it a completely different bike from the older ones.

Good luck in your search!

Old 05-28-2016, 12:26 AM
The Silver Viking
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by larsfum
6'4" you must have been cramped on a Deluxe. I will also suggest Road Glide. Set yourself a budget, and research what is available within it. Every model year has it's + & -. You won't go wrong with a fugly.
I need a low le pera seat and mini apes on the deluxe and I'm good, but I prolly look like a gorilla on a tricycle...lol

Old 05-28-2016, 12:30 AM
The Silver Viking
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks much to all who've answered. Ya'll are the HEET and I'm gonna talk to Bagger owners and test ride a street glide and a road glide.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:31 AM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 244 Posts

my vote is ultra classic I love mine

Quick Reply: Considering a Harley Bagger & need advice