Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Does This Sound Crazy? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1121695-does-this-sound-crazy.html)

jaxdwg 06-16-2016 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by LazySundays (Post 15243894)
My current ride is an 03 Ultra in the anniversary silver and black. It has a Mustang seat which we really like, Khrome Werks Touring slip ons, S&S intake and a Power Vision with a seat of the pants tweaked download. It also has lots of extra chrome and is one of our all time favourite colour schemes. The bike only has 40000 km on it.

Used (and new) bike prices in Ontario are insane! I'd be looking at my trade plus about $12k to go to a high mileage 2012 Limited or over $20k to go to a new Limited or RGU.

Here's what I'm planning:

Engine
S&S 509 chain drive cams with all new bearings
Cyco tensioner shoes
Drag Specialties oil pump
I already have a set of SE adjustable push rods still in the box
Dyno tune by a reputable local tuner
S&S Power Tune Duals (if there's $ left over)

Chassis
Progressive Touring link
Monotubes
Ohlins S36E (probably from Howard as his 2-2b)

Doing the work myself, this should get me in around the $4k range.

I know this leaves me with the old frame, small tank and 5spd trans but we don't usually ride highways so our high speed runs are short enough that the 6th gear isn't really needed and we like to take our time and stop for a stretch and a snack so the tank size has never been an issue either. The ABS on the newer bikes is a definite plus, but is that and the new frame really worth more than double the investment?

I also know that none of this will increase the value of my current bike. This has always been planned as our forever bike.

Does this sound crazy? Am I missing something?

If it was me I'd keep the 03. If you did want more cruise gearing you could go up one or two teeth on the front sprocket. I have an 03 egc and love it. It compliments my 02 wg. I built the 02 and went up to a 34 tooth and it still has tons of torque and gets 52 mpg. The 03 I left the gearing alone.

mike_oh 06-16-2016 05:00 PM

I have the same bike and have since it was new. Bottom line is I love it! I have made many mods over the years and it rides awesome! I have the Ohlins and rebuilt my rear fork with Sta-Bo EDD bearing and bushings. Have Mono tubes up front and what a difference those mods make. If you bought new do you think you would make some changes to it? Look at all the posts about shock replacement, bearings, compensator issues and so on. So I think you will be happy with your update! When I re-paint it will be about the same colors just maybe some metallic flake added.

CBud 06-16-2016 07:52 PM

Keep the '03

My '02 is my second HD and I've had it for 14 years. I keep doing what I want when I can. For instance when it was time to do the tensioners, I upgraded to a Feuling cam chest kit--525's-- gear driven. When the factory seat began to split, I sprung for a Corbin. Hubby treated me to a new windshield and Progressive 944s for Christmas one year. I'm pretty sure I broke something in the front end on my last trip and hubby is instigating me to "redo the whole front end" including new chrome lowers. Stuff is beginning to wear out....had to replace the inner primary seal the second day of the last trip...but dammit I'm riding it and having a great time!

predatornut 06-16-2016 09:21 PM

After I bought my 04 ultra, I almost immediately started considering trading it on a new or at least newer bike. After looking at my options and reading this forum I decided it just makes more sense to keep what I have and stick a bit of money into it every year until it is just the way I want it. For me the deciding factor was reading all the people with new bikes talk about spending thousands more on mods and upgrades because this was wrong or they just weren't happy with something. I can get mine right were I want it and still have thousands less into it than buying a new one that I would want to change anyway.

OldEnuf2NoBtr 06-16-2016 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by LazySundays (Post 15244594)
Already have a PV1. It's listed in the original bike description.:D

Oops, missed that.

foxtrapper 06-17-2016 04:42 AM

For the cost of the cams, tensioner shoes (and presumably installation tool), and oil pump, I'd look closer at a gear drive conversion. Don't think it's going to be all that much more.

BigMike17 06-17-2016 09:24 AM

Sounds smart to me - and - you'll have a bike you love built the way you want!

LazySundays 06-17-2016 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by foxtrapper (Post 15246537)
For the cost of the cams, tensioner shoes (and presumably installation tool), and oil pump, I'd look closer at a gear drive conversion. Don't think it's going to be all that much more.

It'd be around $400-450 more. The only thing that comes close, price wise is going with a used 07-14 cam plate and switching to Andrews 21N cams.

LazySundays 06-17-2016 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by mike_oh (Post 15245146)
I have the same bike and have since it was new. Bottom line is I love it! I have made many mods over the years and it rides awesome! I have the Ohlins and rebuilt my rear fork with Sta-Bo EDD bearing and bushings. Have Mono tubes up front and what a difference those mods make. If you bought new do you think you would make some changes to it? Look at all the posts about shock replacement, bearings, compensator issues and so on. So I think you will be happy with your update! When I re-paint it will be about the same colors just maybe some metallic flake added.

Which Ohlins did you go with?

Have you ridden any newer bikes to compare your upgrade to them? How big was the change in ride and handling on your bike.

I just love these people who tell you your bike is a worthless piece of sh*t because it's not a Rushmore

mike_oh 06-17-2016 12:00 PM

Well I would put my 03 up against any of the newer bikes! I run a 140 tire on the rear and have never had the "wobble" issue although I put on a true track years ago. Over the winter I took down the rear and found my rear fork to have a lot of play in it both up and down and sideways so hence the Sta-Bo parts. I also replaced all the wear items at that time and did monotubes. I have the Ohlins 3-3 from Howard and they are awesome! Now the bike rides like its on rails! Very smooth and sure footed. I made many changes over the years and have it just the way I want it so why go new? I have ridden a couple new bikes but they were brand new so not much for comparison. I would look into gear drive cams in place of the chains. You will have to check your crankshaft run out but it should be okay as mine was when I did a 95" build before going to the current motor I have now. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!