Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does This Sound Crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 10:09 AM
LazySundays
Road Captain
Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Does This Sound Crazy?

My current ride is an 03 Ultra in the anniversary silver and black. It has a Mustang seat which we really like, Khrome Werks Touring slip ons, S&S intake and a Power Vision with a seat of the pants tweaked download. It also has lots of extra chrome and is one of our all time favourite colour schemes. The bike only has 40000 km on it.

Used (and new) bike prices in Ontario are insane! I'd be looking at my trade plus about $12k to go to a high mileage 2012 Limited or over $20k to go to a new Limited or RGU.

Here's what I'm planning:

Engine
S&S 509 chain drive cams with all new bearings
Cyco tensioner shoes
Drag Specialties oil pump
I already have a set of SE adjustable push rods still in the box
Dyno tune by a reputable local tuner
S&S Power Tune Duals (if there's $ left over)

Chassis
Progressive Touring link
Monotubes
Ohlins S36E (probably from Howard as his 2-2b)

Doing the work myself, this should get me in around the $4k range.

I know this leaves me with the old frame, small tank and 5spd trans but we don't usually ride highways so our high speed runs are short enough that the 6th gear isn't really needed and we like to take our time and stop for a stretch and a snack so the tank size has never been an issue either. The ABS on the newer bikes is a definite plus, but is that and the new frame really worth more than double the investment?

I also know that none of this will increase the value of my current bike. This has always been planned as our forever bike.

Does this sound crazy? Am I missing something?

Old 06-16-2016, 10:33 AM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,913 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Ask yourself what is it that you want when all is said and done?
If this is simply about spending less money - you have your answer.
If it's about upgrading your machine to more recent standards, you may not be happy long term with the original bike, even with the new mods.
Got to do some soul-searching.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:42 AM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 303 Likes on 218 Posts

Does not sound crazy to me. I just purchased a 2002 RK and this is my forever bike.
I do plan on upgrading to a 6 speed.
When the engine needs rebuilt...I will rebuild it.
When she needs paint...I will paint her.
I have rode new ultra's and my buddy just bought a 16 softtail. Don't get me wrong they are great bikes...But I don't need all the go faster's. Cruise Control is the main thing. Which I have.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:00 AM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

I hate making payments so I keep my old 07. It's my forever bike. Even though I have the 6 speed. I rarely use 6th because it's so highly geared. I can go over 200 miles on my little 5 gallon tank. I need a break by then anyway. I think updating your current bike is the way to go in your situation.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:07 PM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think with the upgrades your planning, you'll be happy with your current ride again. The new bikes sure look nice, but it needs to call to you before pulling the trigger. It definitely doesn't like the new rides are calling to you...yet.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:25 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Sounds prudent if budget is a concern. We all have different budgets, but the vast majority us have one...if we're prudent.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:26 PM
LazySundays
Road Captain
Default Does This Sound Crazy?

Originally Posted by austinslider
I think with the upgrades your planning, you'll be happy with your current ride again. The new bikes sure look nice, but it needs to call to you before pulling the trigger. It definitely doesn't like the new rides are calling to you...yet.
It's not like the newer bikes aren't calling, it's that the bank is calling louder. Lol. I like not having payments and I can upgrade for cash as opposed to having to finance a purchase.

It's easy to ride a newer bike and say Wow! I just don't have access to an upgraded older bike for comparison.

I do love my bike, it's the right colour, it fits well and it really does have enough power most of the time. I just want it to go into corners with a bit more stability and not toss the wife on big hits. It needs tensioners, so might as well do the cams too.

Also, from what I've read, the ride on the newer frame might actually be a bit harsher, which wouldn't go well with the wife. That would mean a suspension upgrade in addition to the extra cost of a new bike.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:42 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Not crazy at all. Best yet, it sounds like you are approaching this with a clear, level head. Your statement ("I also know that none of this will increase the value of my current bike") says to me you are prepared to maximize enjoyment out of your current bike and if it turns out that this doesn't end up as your "forever bike", you won't be regretting your upgrades and beating yourself up later.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:19 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,814 Likes on 1,066 Posts

You're missing one of the most important elements of the entire build....... the fuel management device, aka the "tuner" that you're going to use while the bike is being Dyno'd.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:30 PM
LazySundays
Road Captain

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
You're missing one of the most important elements of the entire build....... the fuel management device, aka the "tuner" that you're going to use while the bike is being Dyno'd.
Already have a PV1. It's listed in the original bike description.

Quick Reply: Does This Sound Crazy?