Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad experience with RideOn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 08:57 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Bad experience with RideOn?

I'm about to change my tires and bought 3 bottles of the RideOn. I'm still a little nervous about using it. I've read the a lot of posts with good reviews. Wondering if anyone has had a bad experience with it. How well does it work after it's been in the tire for a year or longer?

Old 09-06-2016, 09:14 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

ive used it for about 4 years now. ive had 1 flat, after running over a good sized bolt on hwy 50 in Nevada.

rode over 40 miles after running over the bolt before i knew it and tire eventually went flat, best i can estimate

good stuff in my opinion. does not prevent flats but will hold up if you pick up road debris

The following users liked this post:
slowrollin (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 09:16 PM
07fsxt
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My experience with Ride On is not a good one.
I purchased enough ride on to do both the front and back tires on my EG. I had that crap in my tires for 3 months and was never happy with the so called balancing it provided (yes I removed the stick on weights).
What really put me over the edge with ride on is when my wife and I were on a day trip and had a flat on the rear. We picked up a roofing nail (little) almost dead center in the tread.
Now for the best part. While standing at the side of the road waiting on a ride. I noticed that my wife had that crap all over her back side and in her hair. She was NOT happy. Kind of turns to glue when combined with hair. Needless to say, I removed both wheels, drove to the tire shop and had them remove what was left of the ride on sealant, fix the nail hole, and balance the wheels the way they should have been in the first place.

The following 2 users liked this post by 07fsxt:
slowrollin (09-06-2016), soft 02 (09-08-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 10:19 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

I used the correct dose in my tires for balance without weights. front end would go thru fits of bar shaking. oddly, I had never read a bad review.

slowrollin (09-06-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 01:24 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Using the dyna beads, or balancing beads or whatever they are called has worked outstanding for me. No weights and the beads just roll around in the tire and do a great job and no mess.

The following 2 users liked this post by Guntoter:
ranger351w (12-22-2016), slowrollin (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 02:03 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 07fsxt
My experience with Ride On is not a good one.
I purchased enough ride on to do both the front and back tires on my EG. I had that crap in my tires for 3 months and was never happy with the so called balancing it provided (yes I removed the stick on weights).
What really put me over the edge with ride on is when my wife and I were on a day trip and had a flat on the rear. We picked up a roofing nail (little) almost dead center in the tread.
Now for the best part. While standing at the side of the road waiting on a ride. I noticed that my wife had that crap all over her back side and in her hair. She was NOT happy. Kind of turns to glue when combined with hair. Needless to say, I removed both wheels, drove to the tire shop and had them remove what was left of the ride on sealant, fix the nail hole, and balance the wheels the way they should have been in the first place.
Sounds like you got some old outdated stuff. There is a shelf life for it, I forget how long it is. It won't balance a wheel that is bad out of balance either.

slowrollin (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 06:28 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Been using it since 2009 - no weights and no problems had a nail in the rear and pulled it out and the tire sealed - made it home and replaced the tire - I started using it after waiting for a tow(about 6hours) with a flat in no mans land - no issues at all - its works.

slowrollin (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 07:34 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,544 Posts

i've used ride-on for years with no problems . i think it's great stuff and will never run weights again. the problem with the beads is after you've added air several times andget some moisture in there the beads tend to clump together.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:35 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 795 Likes on 606 Posts

How does it seal when there is a puncture?
If it seals when exposed to air then why does it not harden when inside the tire that is full of outside air?
It would seem like it would never really seal but instead slow the release of air by pushing goo towards puncture.
Anybody left a sample out in a cup to dry?

Old 09-07-2016, 08:05 AM
chrisg81983
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

I have been using it for years and got a ton of people to use it along with local shops starting to stock it. It's an awesome product none of us had ever had a problem when used for balancing the wheels.

For the leak / puncture department my experience is that it's pretty good but depends on size of hole. For larger holes it won't seal 100 percent but it will enable you to a local repair center or dealer. For smaller holes it will be fine as my friend got a nail in his front tire. He rode for our entire trip and finally realized it when we returned home and was cleaning the bike.

Quick Reply: Bad experience with RideOn?