Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping your twin cam or moving up to a m8?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 02:49 PM
ricktherocket
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

no plans for a M8 here

Old 01-22-2017, 04:52 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,473 Likes on 4,049 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmything
I keep hearing they ride like a "metric" why the f*ck would anyone want that? I'd buy a Goldwing if I wanted that. My 09 Roadking is easy to work on, the 96 has more than enough power, and doesn't need 2 plugs on each cylinder, which you have to pull the tank to change the two on the starboard side(lame, IMHO). I don't understand why the herd needs larger engines and smoother rides. Get a winnebago then. BTW, what happened to the "soul" in your old ride?
I'm with you....

Only I think whoever needs the '09+ frame or an FI twin cam engine should get a Goldwing or a Winnebago...!

My old shovel head had plenty of power. It was easy to work on and so much cheaper than these newer "metric" like Harleys....

Old 01-22-2017, 05:08 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,003 Likes on 597 Posts

Lol! Some of you crusty old purists remind me of the 1911 VS Glock debates. Or the compound bow VS long bow/recurve debates. So much hypocrisy on the side of the purists. Claiming they don't like progress or the technological advances that have been made to the newer bikes. Same dudes who have smartphones when their flip phones worked just fine. And the same ones who traded in their 95 Toyota Corolla for a 17 Ford F-150 with EcoBoost.

I'm very happy with my M8. I've ridden a Honda and I use to own a 2004 FLHRI. The M8 doesn't feel anything like a Honda, AT ALL! And it's head and shoulders better than my old RK. Leads me to believe that people who are comparing the M8 to a Honda have either one, never ridden a Honda, or two, are just full of **** and looking for reasons to criticize the new bike because they don't have one.

The following 2 users liked this post by SWThomas:
bigfish_Oh (03-04-2017), Mxdad (03-04-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 06:05 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

I've had about every brand bike out there. I'd like a M8 someday but I'm not giving up my 15 FLHTK, it's as solid as a rock. I have way too much work and money in this one, it will be paid off soon. Maybe someday after that I'll consider a M8.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:19 PM
bpav16
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD
What on your short list?

PreRushmore, Rushmore Twin cam Touring bike owners, are you trading in your ride for the new M8?

In my neck of the woods, two local different Dealers said (last week) they are getting more tire kickers then actual buyers. Of course, I'm sure that will change within time.

Or are you guys going to add to the stable with a new M8 and keep your old ride?

As for me, I have ALWAYS said that my 2009 FLTRSE3 is a keeper for life, not to mention my motor up grade last winter.

My Rig just keeps putting a smile everytime I pass by it and look at it, let alone take her out to stretch her legs!!!!

YB
I have an 09 RK. The more time and more miles, the more I can't part with her. If I live long enough, it'll have antique tags. Of course a garage mate ain't a bad idea

Old 01-22-2017, 07:36 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Lol! Some of you crusty old purists remind me of the 1911 VS Glock debates. Or the compound bow VS long bow/recurve debates. So much hypocrisy on the side of the purists. Claiming they don't like progress or the technological advances that have been made to the newer bikes. Same dudes who have smartphones when their flip phones worked just fine. And the same ones who traded in their 95 Toyota Corolla for a 17 Ford F-150 with EcoBoost.

I'm very happy with my M8. I've ridden a Honda and I use to own a 2004 FLHRI. The M8 doesn't feel anything like a Honda, AT ALL! And it's head and shoulders better than my old RK. Leads me to believe that people who are comparing the M8 to a Honda have either one, never ridden a Honda, or two, are just full of **** and looking for reasons to criticize the new bike because they don't have one.
Why is it every time someone says "metric" the Honda brand is being tossed around? Last i checked there is more than 15 brands of metric motorcycle and i bet the m8 probably rides like one of them lol. All jokes aside the M8 doesnt ride like a typical HD in which rode different from any other bike with its noises,clunks and vibration etc. Up until now only "Metric" bikes rode smooth,little to no vibration and no clunks so that is why people are saying it rides too metric

Last edited by jd05flhtci; 01-22-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:31 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,003 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
Why is it every time someone says "metric" the Honda brand is being tossed around? Last i checked there is more than 15 brands of metric motorcycle and i bet the m8 probably rides like one of them lol. All jokes aside the M8 doesnt ride like a typical HD in which rode different from any other bike with its noises,clunks and vibration etc. Up until now only "Metric" bikes rode smooth,little to no vibration and no clunks so that is why people are saying it rides too metric
I never have understood the people who feel they need that clunk and vibrations to feel like they're riding a Harley. If it's made by Harley it's a Harley. I remember riding my 04 and thinking "I wish it didn't vibrate so much and shifted smoother". IDK, maybe I just like a quality ride in something that I shell out 10s of thousands of dollars for, and not something that feels like it's going to rattle the bolts loose and fall apart. But to each their own. My bike runs great! Nice and smooth, and goes into gear without feeling like I'm chipping teeth off the trans gears.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:37 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I never have understood the people who feel they need that clunk and vibrations to feel like they're riding a Harley. If it's made by Harley it's a Harley. I remember riding my 04 and thinking "I wish it didn't vibrate so much and shifted smoother". IDK, maybe I just like a quality ride in something that I shell out 10s of thousands of dollars for, and not something that feels like it's going to rattle the bolts loose and fall apart. But to each their own. My bike runs great! Nice and smooth, and goes into gear without feeling like I'm chipping teeth off the trans gears.
Not trying to start anything here but i have to ask
Why did you ride Harleys in the past if the quality was crap like you stated ?

Old 01-22-2017, 08:50 PM
White Oak
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No plans for an M8, even though the initial reviews are positive, the price differential is too steep. The 05 Road King still makes me happy every time I twist the throttle.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:51 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,302 Likes on 3,658 Posts

To the original question the answer is yes..

Quick Reply: Keeping your twin cam or moving up to a m8?