Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Temp Gauge Installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 08:15 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default RE: Oil Temp Gauge Installed

ORIGINAL: FLuHX

ORIGINAL: rodeking

Thanks for the adapter bushing size.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I have been waiting to know the size so I can move my HD oil temp sensor from the hose between the engine and the cooler.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Since I have installed the cooler the thermostat has not opened except in traffic or just idling.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Therefore the oil temp never moves off bottom when on the road.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I have ridden it all day in 90 degree weather and it never moves except in traffic or prolonged idle.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Now I will know what my oil termp really is all the time.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;Before the oil cooler was&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; added the sensor was in the adapter block&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;at oil filter.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Temps there would reach over&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;230 F when running I-65 in 80 F&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;weather.&nbsp\\;\\\ \\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; If the T-stat is not going to open except&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;in traffic, it will&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;be scrapped,&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;It does little good if not moving.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I have a Lenale Fan for those times.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Cooler is a slim jim mounted on left down tube and I check it by touch.
do I need to get an extension when moving the sensor to the oil pan?
You need an adapter. Before I installed mine in the oil line I used a NAPA adapter #3220 x 6 x 2, male 3/8 npt x female 1/8 npt in the oil pan.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:59 PM
DeckerDude
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Black Flag

After 50 posts, I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; How do you guys sleep at night, not knowing the temperature of the air&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;inside your batwing fairings?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; [sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 06-28-2008, 09:21 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: WichitaGreg

Okay. Installed in oil pan. No problems encountered.

Before I sealed the sending unit in the reduction fitting, I dropped it into a thermos of freshly boiled water, with a kitchen thermometer as "control." The kitchen thermometer was still reading 190 by this time, and the Harley gauge was reading 180. So ten degrees cooler.&nbsp\\; Fair enough.

Finished the install and went for a long ride, &gt\\;90 degrees, &gt\\;90 miles.

Gauge never got over 190-200 (hard to read between 180-230). Harley dipstick gauge reading 235. Best case, a difference of 35 degrees. Worst case difference of 45 degrees.

Figure the gauge is cooler by ten degrees, so that makes it 25 degrees off the dipstic gauge. So I boiled another pan of water, and put the end of the digital Harley dipstic gague in. At boil, the gauge read about 210, but it kept climbing, so I left it in the boil.

It went all the way to 235 before it leveled off. So if it's reading 235 at boil (212) it's reading 23 degrees too hot.

Gauge and dipstic reconciled so I just have to add ten to the dash, or subtract 25 from the dipstic, works for me. At cruise today I was running about 210 in 90 degree heat.

I have an 07 with an HD premium oil cooler and no lowers installed.

Greg
You said in an earlier message you were "not too smart," but based on the above I think you're disproving that notion. I did something similar by using an industrial dial thermometer, and checked the temp before draining with the fairing gauge and immediately after draining with the dial t'meter. The oil in the drain pan was 20° cooler after about one minute than what was showing on the fairing gauge, but I thought that was probably a reasonable difference since the pan was cool at the start and did cool the oil somewhat.&nbsp\\; Anyway, based on that I figure I'm close to correct. Next time I'll check as the oil drains, not after sitting in the pan for even one minute. Or, I'll find an accurate t'meter with a long probe that I can check while the oil is still in the pan. I think a meat t'meter would be a good choice since they should be quite accurate, as food temperature is important.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:25 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Black Flag

After 50 posts, I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet! How do you guys sleep at night, not knowing the temperature of the air inside your batwing fairings?
I confess that I worry about this constantly. After all, my radio might be overheating. If the radio goes out, I may not be able to survive.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:48 AM
WichitaGreg
Advanced

SOOS:&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; So what is the result, any noticeable difference in temps?

ICLICK:&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Thanks, I try to exercise humility whenever I can, but I am a high school dropout.

I wish there were an easy calibration screw on the gague, or a resister we could place inline to make it more accurate.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I am going to wrap some insulation around the sensor to keep the airflow off it, may improve accuracy just a bit.

If it never goes above 200 on the gague (210 actual) it will prove that an oil cooler is not perhaps necessary.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I will cover the cooler on an upcoming ride and see what happens.

With my t-max efi, I can download head temps and view them, and I noticed head temps were all fairly cool:

Max Head Temp Sessions
184 Deg 165
192 Deg 8
200 Deg 14
208 Deg 14
216 Deg 36
224 Deg 30
232 Deg 28
240 Deg 21
248 Deg 17
256 Deg 4
264 Deg 6
272 Deg 0
280 Deg 1
288 Deg 1
296 Deg 0
304 Deg 0
312 Deg 0
320 Deg 0
328 Deg 0
336 Deg 0
344 Deg 0

352 Deg 0 360 Deg 0 368 Deg 0 376 Deg 0 384 Deg 0 392 Deg 0 400 Deg 0 408 Deg 0 416 Deg 0 424 Deg 0 432 Deg 0

Old 06-29-2008, 08:01 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

SOOS:&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; So what is the result, any noticeable difference in temps?
I notice more consistent temps now as opposed to slight fluctuations when installed in the oil pan. The oil pan location I noticed was affected by noticable changes in the air temp (I live on the coast and can experience temperature pockets) and also when riding in the rain or traveling over wet roads or hitting puddles. The wet conditions IMO have a cooling affect on the bottom of the oil pan.

The installation in the oil line per the MoCo way is prtotected by the oil line cover and much less susseptable (sp?) to outside temps and/or other cooling conditions.

Besides that, I was bored that day and just decided on a whim to make the switch.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Lincolnhog
Tourer

No disrespect intended...
I may just be ignorant,
but why bother ?
How many bikes run to hot and what is the remedy?
If you think you are running hot the only solution I can see is a
re-dyno and oil cooler.
To me is is just one more distraction.

Also, if heat is an issue, aren't you supporting the idea of water cooled ??

Just an observation

Old 06-29-2008, 10:07 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ICLICK: Thanks, I try to exercise humility whenever I can, but I am a high school dropout.
Educational attainment is not the sole indicator of intelligence. I know some intellectually average people with college degrees and some exceptionally bright people without.

I wish there were an easy calibration screw on the gague, or a resister we could place inline to make it more accurate. I am going to wrap some insulation around the sensor to keep the airflow off it, may improve accuracy just a bit.
I wish there was an adjustment too, but I'm just going to do more tests on mine to find out the error, if any. My gauge kit had a sheath that fits over the sender, sort of an insulator but probably intended to help keep water away from the electrical connections.

If it never goes above 200 on the gague (210 actual) it will prove that an oil cooler is not perhaps necessary. I will cover the cooler on an upcoming ride and see what happens.
I'd be amazed if you can keep it there. I have a cooler and it keeps peak oil temps in line, usually not going above about 210° (on the gauge), but I've seen it as high as 230° in heavy traffic on a few occasions. When going at least 45mph it has been staying at about 195-200° with air temps around 90°. A few months ago I installed (rigged) two fans on my cooler and they seem to help move air when stopped or during slow going. They won't keep it cool forever when idling at a stop, but they slow down the ascent effectively. I also have a map switch and can switch to a rich map on the fly when I need the extra cooling. I rarely need it, though.

With my t-max efi, I can download head temps and view them, and I noticed head temps were all fairly cool:
What do these numbers mean? Are you running a peak of 432°? What is the second group of numbers (e.g., "200 Deg 14")? I've checked mine with an IR thermometer and I get around 250-275°F, 325-350°R taking the reading at the sparkplug base. I think my temps are fairly normal after riding on a hot day.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:30 PM
WichitaGreg
Advanced

To cover the oil cooler, just wrap aluminum foil around it.&nbsp\\; If you do it right, it's not unatractive.&nbsp\\; I used to live in upstate New York, and instead of taking the cooler off my metric, I just covered it.&nbsp\\; It dod not have a thermostat.

The T-Max download of the head temps is a count of each "session" recorded at what temp.&nbsp\\; So, my head temp hit 189 degrees 165 times, 192 degrees 8 times, and so on.&nbsp\\; This is about 10 months or so of records, including a nice long trip to Texas in late May.&nbsp\\;

My bike hit
264 Deg 6 times
272 Deg 0
280 Deg 1 time
288 Deg 1 time and never recorded a head temp above that number.&nbsp\\; So realistically, the hottest it ever gets on a reular basis is around 264 degrees (head temp, not oil temp).&nbsp\\; I run Royal Purple 20/50, so I think my oil situation is fine.&nbsp\\; Now that I know that, I probably wont need an oil temp gauge any more, but how do you gain confidance in a new motorcyce that has a reputation (earned or unearned) for having reliability problems?&nbsp\\; I've been on water cooled metrics since I sold my '85 FJ 1100.

My 07 is not perfect, but like my ex, she was good enough for me.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-29-2008, 09:17 PM
bwickes
Cruiser

One more note on the temperature difference between the fairing mounted gauge and the dipstick gauge.&nbsp\\; Look at the fairing gauge.&nbsp\\; The graduations are apparently not equal above and below the 230 degree mark.&nbsp\\; The low side&nbsp\\;the gauge markings are&nbsp\\;180-230 (a delta of 50 degrees).&nbsp\\; On the upper of 230&nbsp\\;it reads 230-260 (a delta of 30).
&nbsp\\;
No two people will interpret the actual temperature reading the same.&nbsp\\; Last install we bench tested the gauge in boiling water to determine a reference&nbsp\\;point at least.&nbsp\\; BTW, you could probably adjust a correction into the gauge with a resistor soldered inline.
&nbsp\\;
B