Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Rear Light Bar Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 08:54 AM
Almostinvincible119
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Road King Rear Light Bar Swap

I am really wanting to get away from the ultra wide rear signal bar on my 12 FLHR and go with something a little more compact and tidy. I am currently looking at the bullet signal bar that the Moco sells.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...signal-bar-kit

They state that it fits the Classic King, but not the standard King and I am assuming that this is because the classic does not have the tag light underneath the bar. Is there a way that this item would fit with the original plate light and plate mount? Has anyone done anything like this or do you have any other options (besides an entire SG rear fender) that would clean the back end up some.

Thanks guys

Old 11-15-2016, 09:54 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

That's cool. Here's what we did with our Road King. I love it! These things are very cool. Got them from our friends at Black Hills Billet. They are called ArrowLites. These work as both brake and turn lights. The smoked LED tail light is theirs too. Top quality. Made in USA.

BlackHillsBillet.com

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 11-15-2016, 10:10 AM
Almostinvincible119
Road Captain

That really looks good. I was considering running some CD gap filler lights in the gaps but I run into the same issue. I would have to MAKE it work instead of a company just making a product that cleans the back end up. I have a curved tag mount but I'm not sure that I could stand the bolts and mount holes protruding.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:14 AM
cathead
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Almostinvincible119
I am really wanting to get away from the ultra wide rear signal bar on my 12 FLHR and go with something a little more compact and tidy. I am currently looking at the bullet signal bar that the Moco sells.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...signal-bar-kit

They state that it fits the Classic King, but not the standard King and I am assuming that this is because the classic does not have the tag light underneath the bar. Is there a way that this item would fit with the original plate light and plate mount? Has anyone done anything like this or do you have any other options (besides an entire SG rear fender) that would clean the back end up some.

Thanks guys
It won't fit because of the width of the fender since the 2009 frame re-do. The 09 Street Glide light bar will fit nicely, but I think you also have to use the SG license plate bracket that goes with it. I did this swap on my 15, but it already had the plate underneath the stock light bar so I just used it.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:24 AM
Almostinvincible119
Road Captain

Thanks Cathead. So am I wrong to assume the FLHRC used the old fender up until 2013? Because it will fit the classics up to that point.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:07 AM
cathead
Tourer

Originally Posted by Almostinvincible119
Thanks Cathead. So am I wrong to assume the FLHRC used the old fender up until 2013? Because it will fit the classics up to that point.
Good question, that part I'm not sure. I thought the frames were all changed in 09 and therefore the fender. Probably should check Ronnies online microfiche to make sure.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:31 PM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

OP -

I looked into this swap awhile ago. I was trying to determine which part number would work for my '14 RK

I believe I got this info from forum member 'Cathead', for the part no. for a SG/RG-style rear bullet turn signal that would fit my '14 RK:

Rear Bullet Turn Signal # 68997-09. I believe Cathead indicated he used the tag light from the stock RK signal bar because it didn’t require splicing...he found it easier to remove the tag light from the original "2x4" turn signal bar and swap it out with the one that came with the 68997-09 kit.

Cathead...can you confirm??

Check out the above info carefully...I haven't done the conversion yet. Let us know how it works.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:55 PM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

OP -

Here's another more cost-effective option I am considering for adding front and back 'bullet' turn signal bodies to the stock front/rear light bars on my '14 RK:

Bullet Turn Signal Body Kit (front/back) – smoked lens and amber bulb – HD Part No 69153-03A - http://www.adventureharley.com/harle...ulb-69153-03a/ This kit also comes with an amber lens (different part no.) if you prefer. I am considering this kit option because I could not find front-only 'bullet' turn signal bodies that would fit the stock front light bar on my RK.

There is also a kit that has 1.5" shorter rear turn signal bar extensions for the RK (see HD accessory manual). These extensions are styled the same as the stock rear turn signal bars, only shorter in length...and they should work with the above front/rear bullet turn signal kit (69153-03A).

Old 11-15-2016, 10:06 PM
cathead
Tourer

Originally Posted by heavypic
OP -

I looked into this swap awhile ago. I was trying to determine which part number would work for my '14 RK

I believe I got this info from forum member 'Cathead', for the part no. for a SG/RG-style rear bullet turn signal that would fit my '14 RK:

Rear Bullet Turn Signal # 68997-09. I believe Cathead indicated he used the tag light from the stock RK signal bar because it didn’t require splicing...he found it easier to remove the tag light from the original "2x4" turn signal bar and swap it out with the one that came with the 68997-09 kit.

Cathead...can you confirm??

Check out the above info carefully...I haven't done the conversion yet. Let us know how it works.
I can indeed confirm that the above part 68997-09 is the one I use for my 15 King, it mounted up no problem and looks and works great. I did re-use the tag light from the stock light bar, since it plugs right back in to the taillight and the tag light from the -09 part does not - requires spicing.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:11 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Bought a SG fender complete with light bar and facia. Then sold fender stripped. Installed light bar and facia. Moved license to bottom of fender to cover up fender tip holes. Total cost was less then the part you showed.

Attached Thumbnails Road King Rear Light Bar Swap-facia1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Road King Rear Light Bar Swap