Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does everyone fall off their bike at least once?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 07:14 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
I seem to read it over and over about sliding on your head or getting rear-ended or having to lay it down. Makes me wonder when its my turn!
Its wise to be aware of the statistics bro and to respect them. That said, you do get to influence your own situation so viewing those numbers as a prediction, just isn't valid.

If you were to do a breakdown of official government accident stats and took away those accidents where alcohol and excessive speed (single vehicle crashes), were contributing factors, you'd see that you are largely the architect of your fate when it comes to riding. Controlled for just those 2 major rider contributions, the numbers show riding to be a great deal safer than the overall stats suggest. Also, history doesn't count. If stats suggest you're say, 5% at risk of an accident, the fact that you have a 90 year accident free riding history, doesn't mean your number is up. If anything, it probably means there is something attributable to your riding skill / judgement which causes you to consistently beat the averages.

Last edited by HKMark23; 01-13-2017 at 07:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CJeep (01-22-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 07:17 AM
nigelli
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been two years since I started riding seriously and I haven't experienced a fall since them. Maybe because I'm a careful rider and that I'm willing to gain more skills on the road and be more careful each passing day.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:31 AM
jmaniace
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

The answer is yes there are only two types of riders, ones that have gone down and ones that haven't yet. I wouldn't put a lot of thought in to it but it can and will at some point.

It took me 10years to go down it wasn't a bad one but I still did.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:05 AM
RoadRiderPhotog13
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure what your REALLY asking. Are you talking about an incident at speed? I sort of sort out incedents into three buckets.
1. You are stopped or almost stopped and loose your footing. The classic trying to take too sharp a turn in the parking lot of the dealership and loose control. (always happens in the dealership parking lot,,,). Generally you can just step off and try to find yur pride again.
2. You are stopped and some idiot who is distracted hits you. This can be very bad if the clown in the car is moving fast.
3. You are moving at speed and things go pear shaped on you. it doesn't really matter if there is another vehicle or not. This is NEVER good.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:47 AM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I laid mine down in a parking lot full of mud. Luckily, me and my old lady landed in mud! Nothing a hot shower couldn't cure...lol.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:49 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Big difference between "falling off" and falling over.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:19 AM
RoadRiderPhotog13
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Big difference between "falling off" and falling over.
+1 Sort of my point, but more succinct.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:29 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

To answer the question: no.

Now, I fully understand that is neither a promise nor a prediction. It's a mindset. I've never crashed, and I don't plan to crash, and one of the reasons I've never crashed is that I plan not to crash.

The old "There are two kinds of riders..." is, of course, total bullshit. It is an admission that you have no control over what happens while you ride. Can you control everything? Obviously not.

However, you can pay attention to what's around you, and that makes your odds a hell of a lot better. And that makes all the difference.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:20 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Does everyone fall off their bike at least once?
....... 'fall off' ?
.... i guess that depends on how much you drink before ya saddle up
....... for clarification, i have dropped the Road Glide a couple times, but i've never 'fallen off'.
............. that, would be embarrassing

Old 01-13-2017, 10:22 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

two things will happen when you ride a motorcycle, you will fall OVER and you will get caught in the rain. you may never fall off while riding, but it can and does happen to people (don't ask)

Quick Reply: Does everyone fall off their bike at least once?