Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Any experience with the Rouge Chopper oil scavenging system? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1161031-any-experience-with-the-rouge-chopper-oil-scavenging-system.html)

ORradtech 02-25-2017 10:18 AM

Any experience with the Rogue Chopper oil scavenging system?

I've never liked the idea of leaving .5 qt or more of old oil in the engine at change time. I've always done it per HD instructions but being able to get all the old oil out appeals to me.
So, anyone use it, likes, dislikes, worth $97? Any other options out there to get all the old oil out?

mkguitar 02-25-2017 10:31 AM

unless you have had an "event" which has corrupted the oil I wouldn;t worry about it.

I change at 3000 miles usually with the syn. sooner in extreme (hot, dusty, short rides ) conditions- later if I have been just highway cruising/touring all day...in which case I might be changing oil every week or 10 days...

Sometimes I short cut and leave oil filter and just drain the oil in the pan and replace. In these cases the oil coming out is pretty clean, if it isn;t I'll do filter as well.

mike

smitty901 02-25-2017 10:33 AM

Just another silly way to spend money .

ORradtech 02-25-2017 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by smitty901 (Post 15969716)
Just another silly way to spend money .

is it?
Do you reuse 20% of the old oil when you change the oil in your 4 wheel vehicles?
Besides, some would say owning a motorcycle is a silly way to spend money...

ORradtech 02-25-2017 11:12 AM

No, no events. Just don't like the idea of leaving 20ish percent of old oil in the engine.
My Honda Ridgeline reccomends changing the filter every other oil change. It gets a new filter every change for the same reason.

jammerx 02-25-2017 11:15 AM

I borrowed it from a friend of mine and used it. I will say it does work, and you will be surprised what comes out. I try to do it once a year.

HKMark23 02-25-2017 11:27 AM

Oil doesn't wear out. The additives package depletes. The additives package makes up about 20 % of the oil you use so you're looking at an awfully small amount of "meaningful retention, ( 1/25 or 0.04 %). Unless my used oil looked positively disgusting and opaque, I'd consider running the engine with an open oil circuit to get out that tiny amount of potential corruption not worth the risk. Thats just me.

If you're in any way worried about the serviceability of your oil, reduce change intervals a bit,,, too easy !

ORradtech 02-25-2017 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by HKMark23 (Post 15969869)
Oil doesn't wear out. The additives package depletes. The additives package makes up about 20 % of the oil you use so you're looking at an awfully small amount of "meaningful retention, ( 1/25 or 0.04 %). Unless my used oil looked positively disgusting and opaque, I'd consider running the engine with an open oil circuit to get out that tiny amount of potential corruption not worth the risk. Thats just me.

If you're in any way worried about the serviceability of your oil, reduce change intervals a bit,,, too easy !

Thank you for your thoughts. I take it that you have no experience using this system though? Only an opinion on risk vs reward - which I've already considered and is part of the reason I'm asking for experiences with the system. Wondering if anyone has actually had a problem or if that's fear is just the monster under the bed...

golfblues 02-25-2017 11:44 AM

I've had it for years and use it. Works for me....

nutsandbolts5212 02-25-2017 12:45 PM

Never used it, but interested as well. Subscribed