Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Any experience with the Rouge Chopper oil scavenging system? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1161031-any-experience-with-the-rouge-chopper-oil-scavenging-system.html)

ORradtech 02-25-2017 10:18 AM

Any experience with the Rogue Chopper oil scavenging system?

I've never liked the idea of leaving .5 qt or more of old oil in the engine at change time. I've always done it per HD instructions but being able to get all the old oil out appeals to me.
So, anyone use it, likes, dislikes, worth $97? Any other options out there to get all the old oil out?

mkguitar 02-25-2017 10:31 AM

unless you have had an "event" which has corrupted the oil I wouldn;t worry about it.

I change at 3000 miles usually with the syn. sooner in extreme (hot, dusty, short rides ) conditions- later if I have been just highway cruising/touring all day...in which case I might be changing oil every week or 10 days...

Sometimes I short cut and leave oil filter and just drain the oil in the pan and replace. In these cases the oil coming out is pretty clean, if it isn;t I'll do filter as well.

mike

smitty901 02-25-2017 10:33 AM

Just another silly way to spend money .

ORradtech 02-25-2017 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by smitty901 (Post 15969716)
Just another silly way to spend money .

is it?
Do you reuse 20% of the old oil when you change the oil in your 4 wheel vehicles?
Besides, some would say owning a motorcycle is a silly way to spend money...

ORradtech 02-25-2017 11:12 AM

No, no events. Just don't like the idea of leaving 20ish percent of old oil in the engine.
My Honda Ridgeline reccomends changing the filter every other oil change. It gets a new filter every change for the same reason.

jammerx 02-25-2017 11:15 AM

I borrowed it from a friend of mine and used it. I will say it does work, and you will be surprised what comes out. I try to do it once a year.

HKMark23 02-25-2017 11:27 AM

Oil doesn't wear out. The additives package depletes. The additives package makes up about 20 % of the oil you use so you're looking at an awfully small amount of "meaningful retention, ( 1/25 or 0.04 %). Unless my used oil looked positively disgusting and opaque, I'd consider running the engine with an open oil circuit to get out that tiny amount of potential corruption not worth the risk. Thats just me.

If you're in any way worried about the serviceability of your oil, reduce change intervals a bit,,, too easy !

ORradtech 02-25-2017 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by HKMark23 (Post 15969869)
Oil doesn't wear out. The additives package depletes. The additives package makes up about 20 % of the oil you use so you're looking at an awfully small amount of "meaningful retention, ( 1/25 or 0.04 %). Unless my used oil looked positively disgusting and opaque, I'd consider running the engine with an open oil circuit to get out that tiny amount of potential corruption not worth the risk. Thats just me.

If you're in any way worried about the serviceability of your oil, reduce change intervals a bit,,, too easy !

Thank you for your thoughts. I take it that you have no experience using this system though? Only an opinion on risk vs reward - which I've already considered and is part of the reason I'm asking for experiences with the system. Wondering if anyone has actually had a problem or if that's fear is just the monster under the bed...

golfblues 02-25-2017 11:44 AM

I've had it for years and use it. Works for me....

nutsandbolts5212 02-25-2017 12:45 PM

Never used it, but interested as well. Subscribed

Roadie13 02-25-2017 01:55 PM

I've thought about it before and of course cleaner oil is a good thing, but at the end of the day I don't think it makes any measurable difference in the life of an engine.

If HD could make money off of it they would be trying to push their own version and they don't. Vehicles have been running for zillions of miles and a very small percentage of people do this. If there were tons of oil related failures and this would prevent them everyone would do it.

I don't knock anyone for doing it and if it gives you piece of mind by all means go for it, I just don't think not doing it puts anyone at more risk of an oil related engine failure than the next guy.

golfblues 02-25-2017 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Roadie13 (Post 15970241)
I've thought about it before and of course cleaner oil is a good thing, but at the end of the day I don't think it makes any measurable difference in the life of an engine.

If HD could make money off of it they would be trying to push their own version and they don't. Vehicles have been running for zillions of miles and a very small percentage of people do this. If there were tons of oil related failures and this would prevent them everyone would do it.

I don't knock anyone for doing it and if it gives you piece of mind by all means go for it, I just don't think not doing it puts anyone at more risk of an oil related engine failure than the next guy.

Just to make a point that I have the scavenger and use it once a year at the end of the season when I know my bike will be laid up for 3 or 4 months just to get all contaminants away from bearings and whatever. If I do an oil change during the season I don't even bother with it

Campy Roadie 02-25-2017 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by mkguitar (Post 15969712)
unless you have had an "event" which has corrupted the oil I wouldn;t worry about it.
mike

I've seen it used to "flush" TC88 engines/pans after the tensioners went down to the metal.

Roadie13 02-25-2017 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by golfblues (Post 15970325)
Just to make a point that I have the scavenger and use it once a year at the end of the season when I know my bike will be laid up for 3 or 4 months just to get all contaminants away from bearings and whatever. If I do an oil change during the season I don't even bother with it

Makes good sense, don't think too many folks could argue with that one. I considered doing it when I went to the 120 with high capacity oil pan. There's a lot of oil left in there and that would be good for end of year or after taking out break in oil or switching to synthetic.

twistedcherokee 02-25-2017 02:55 PM

As a master mechanic, clean oil is a need & by using the scavenger it does make a difference. I wish I could do it to my vehicle. A little contaminates may not hurt, but they don't help either. I change my oil every 5K miles with Amsoil, last year I was able to invest in the scavanger, it took almost 2 qrts to get clean oil out. Last oil change it took 1. My Ultra has 120K miles & have have owned it since 40K miles. I am very pleased with the results & highly recommend it to anyone that is interested.

Toby

hdbob2006 02-25-2017 04:26 PM

Rouge Choppers? Women put rouge on their faces.

smitty901 02-25-2017 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by ORradtech (Post 15969818)
is it?
Do you reuse 20% of the old oil when you change the oil in your 4 wheel vehicles?
Besides, some would say owning a motorcycle is a silly way to spend money...

Explain then how some of us put 75-100K on these engine with no issues. It is just another one of those feel good aftermarket deals.
Like 100's of other voodoo products.

ORradtech 02-25-2017 04:40 PM

75k-100k is great but what if getting all the old oil out instead of 80% would bump that to 150k? One master mechanic has already stated he's at 120k. That's 20% better than 100k, coincidence?
You still didn't answer my question. Do you use 4 fresh qts and one old when you change the oil in your car/truck? 20% doesn't matter, right?

Dan89FLSTC 02-25-2017 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by ORradtech (Post 15969818)
is it?

In my opinion, as an aircraft mechanic with over 42 years experience (more years than that working on motorcycles), yes, it is a silly way to spend money, and it is a silly way to change oil.

Mechanics have been changing oil on dry sump oil systems forever without pumping oil out by cranking the engine.

The factory has determined the proper oil change interval and they were fully aware that a small amount oil remains in the system.

twistedcherokee 02-25-2017 04:45 PM

Not a voodoo product. There are a lot of things that help performance, longevity, do you think the manufactures don't want their products to wear out? Or have all the performance they can have. 1969 Firebird vs GTO, only difference in the 400 CI engine was a tab bent different than the other causing the Firebird to have 15 HP less. Ford (all of them do, but I knew someone that knew someone that worked at one of their plants that all they did was put miles on vehicles to see what parts failed or lasted too long) engineers parts to fail at a certain mileage. Since Harley's have a sump, there is still oil that you cannot get out by doing a simple oil change. Can they last without it, sure they can. Can they last by going 6K miles between oil changes, yes. May not last as many miles, but how many people hold onto their motorcycles past 100K, so who cares. But at what point do you want to realize that it can last & do something about it. In Japan they don't change their oil, they are forced to replace there engines at 30-40K miles, what a trade off. Now whether that is true, I don't know, that is just hear say on my part from when I was getting Japanese engines years ago. I can sure see the difference in my oil, both after the oil change & when it is time to change the oil. Good luck

Toby

HKMark23 02-25-2017 04:45 PM

When is your new oil puck due to arrive ? :D

Brewmany 02-25-2017 05:12 PM

Boiled Down:

1. It's a silly waste of money
2. It gets somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 ounces of "old" oil to drain out

Figure out which one of the above applies to you and proceed accordingly.

For the record, I own one and it does what it claims to do.

I was also foolish to spend what I did on my J&S Jack, according to some.

Not sure why anyone would care how someone else spends their money.

OkieBill 02-25-2017 09:49 PM

:icon_that:

GroovusMagnus 02-26-2017 12:06 AM

It's an excellent solution to a nonexistent problem.

GM

bklynbob 02-26-2017 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by hdbob2006 (Post 15970713)
Rouge Choppers? Women put rouge on their faces.

A red Nissan Rogue.

-deuced- 02-26-2017 05:42 AM

No set routine but every few changes after filling the oil tank with fresh oil I disconnect the return line at the tank and attach a hose to it and run the hose into the oil drain pan. Hit the starter a few times until clean oil is in the hose. Reconnect the return line and top off the oil tank. Not real difficult on a softail but I like the idea of that attachment.

Keithhu 02-26-2017 06:14 AM

Its been discussed in a trillion threads on HDForums.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rogu...hdforums.com&*

And that doesn't even include the threads where the product name is misspelled. :)

The bottom line is this - millions of bikes out there doing just fine without it. While it is an intellectually pleasing concept, from a practical perspective it really adds little value.

HKMark23 02-26-2017 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Keithhu (Post 15972139)

And that doesn't even include the threads where the product name is misspelled. :)

The bottom line is this - millions of bikes out there doing just fine without it. While it is an intellectually pleasing concept, from a practical perspective it really adds little value.

:icon_that:,, you nailed it bro. From switching to "synthetic oil" to "permanent stainless filters" to "scavenger pucks", its a classic exercise in "Diminishing Returns" and each individual decides on his own where to $top. When buyer remorse kicks in to the point where you're filtering solicited opinions to justify a mistake, that right there would be a stop signal,,,, IMHO. :D

ORradtech 02-26-2017 07:53 AM

Thank everyone who took the time to respond. Especially those who actually have experience with the Rogue, also to the spelling police for pointing out my dyslexic moment and to the ones who believe that since it's been done this way since HD's inception why consider any change.
I have yet to purchase one and want to offer a final thanks to keithhu for providing the link to other threads, one of which had an argument that has me leaning away from purchasing one. The argument? I'm not likely to keep this bike to the 100k mark anyway, why should I care beyond that?
For anyone who may find this in the future, dispite my misspelling, I never found any indication, here or elsewhere, that the product did not preform exactly as advertised and the people who use it seem to like it and the results.

Keithhu 02-26-2017 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by ORradtech (Post 15972393)
I never found any indication, here or elsewhere, that the product did not preform exactly as advertised and the people who use it seem to like it and the results.

Neither of which has anything to do with whether it is beneficial.

ORradtech 02-26-2017 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Keithhu (Post 15972409)
Neither of which has anything to do with whether it is beneficial.

Never said it did, or didn't for that matter, was simply saying what I found in my short bit of research.
There have been a lot of opinions posted but no proof one way or the other. And, in fact, I wasn't asking whether it is or isn't beneficial. I simply asked anyone with experience with it to share those experiences. Some did, thanks again, and others offered unsolicited opinions.

golfblues 02-26-2017 08:58 AM

Another good use for it is if you have a few bikes or are a collector and some bikes are not used often. Display or store them with fresh clean oil so there's no damage done inside just like they come from the factory.

beary 02-26-2017 10:29 AM

As an Aircraft Mechanic and Engineer for 40 years, ask any pilot if they want 20% of the old oil left in the engine when they have a choice of replacing it with new, and you won't find one who chooses to take off with the old oil.

Kind of silly, who doesn't want to replace old worn parts with new parts? Folks here preach to customize your bike to make it your own. Do they mean except with oil, brake fluid, primary fluids and so on. Most riders are picky of their oil brand, why can't they be picky about not using old oil?

Beary

ricktherocket 02-26-2017 11:05 AM

Why not just pull the plug at the sump and drain the old oil out that way, I would think you could most of it out then. I may be wrong, that happens once every ten years or so.

golfblues 02-26-2017 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by ricktherocket (Post 15973185)
Why not just pull the plug at the sump and drain the old oil out that way, I would think you could most of it out then. I may be wrong, that happens once every ten years or so.

Too much chance of cracking the case (corrected). Plus you're still leaving oil in the lines. I was amazed that so much black dirty oil came out the first time I used it. It was close to a quart. Like I said I use it before winter storage.

boston jim 02-26-2017 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nomadmax (Post 15970416)
I've seen it used to "flush" TC88 engines/pans after the tensioners went down to the metal.

I think it's too little too late, to use the Scavenger at that point !

deadhawg 02-26-2017 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Keithhu (Post 15972139)

Exactly. It can't hurt, but I question whether it really makes any practical difference. I put over 120,000 miles on my '88 FXR, 130,000 on one 2000 FLTR, 100,000 miles on another FLTR, my wife put 90,000 on her Sportster and currently has 80,000+ on her FLHT. I change oil and filter every 3,000 or so, but have gone 5,000 on long trips between changes. Never worried about the oil left in the motor. Not one internal motor problem on any of them.

But if it makes you feel better, go for it. It's your money.

HKMark23 02-26-2017 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by deadhawg (Post 15973482)
Exactly. It can't hurt, but I question whether it really makes any practical difference. I put over 120,000 miles on my '88 FXR, 130,000 on one 2000 FLTR, 100,000 miles on another FLTR, my wife put 90,000 on her Sportster and currently has 80,000+ on her FLHT. I change oil and filter every 3,000 or so, but have gone 5,000 on long trips between changes. Never worried about the oil left in the motor. Not one internal motor problem on any of them.

But if it makes you feel better, go for it. It's your money.

As an aside; a riding buddy and I, who also changes at 3000 mi intervals, were discussing the fact that our "old" oil comes out darn near as clear looking as when it went in. We've decided to start recycling it through our lawnmowers. A 20/50 synthetic substituted for a 30 wt dino won't hurt a lawnmower engine, I'm sure.

boston jim 02-26-2017 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by beary (Post 15973055)
As an Aircraft Mechanic and Engineer for 40 years, ask any pilot if they want 20% of the old oil left in the engine when they have a choice of replacing it with new, and you won't find one who chooses to take off with the old oil.

Kind of silly, who doesn't want to replace old worn parts with new parts? Folks here preach to customize your bike to make it your own. Do they mean except with oil, brake fluid, primary fluids and so on. Most riders are picky of their oil brand, why can't they be picky about not using old oil?

Beary

Hey Mr. B, I couldn't agree with you more! Last year, I applauded something you said! Most of the opinions on this Forum, are just that, OPINIONS! NO facts to back it up! I noticed you don't say anything, unless you know what your talking about! You're the Man! Be Safe, BJ

mcain49 02-26-2017 02:27 PM

I've got one and have mixed feelings about it. It does what it says but it's not convenient for me to use with all the crap I have in that area. I use it maybe once a year and it does keep the oil cleaner. But on the other hand, I never had any oil related problems with my bikes before I started using it.