Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So...oil cooler thread....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 05:32 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

I run the Harley Cooler on my 10 FLHX with Amsoil oil and Ward Werks Fan and Ward Werks oil cooler thermostat which changes the temp that the oil passes through the cooler. Cool Cat! Lol

Old 03-30-2017, 05:52 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

JAGG 10 row fan-assisted on the 2014 SGS 120R. Also have SE +1.5 quart oil pan and run Redline 20W60 year round in Dallas. Oil temps run 226 in winter and 237 summer.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:58 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarkus60
So how many of you all run the Moco premium oil cooler? At 350.00 seems like a good price.
I just put one on with my 107 build.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:15 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarkus60
So how many of you all run the Moco premium oil cooler? At 350.00 seems like a good price.
================================================== =

FYI,when talking oil cooler keep in mind that when your at slow road speeds and sitting in traffic @ stop lights an oil cooler without thermostatically controlled elec cooling fans will suffer significant cooling efficiency loss due to lack of airflow,plain & simple.

I installed an oil cooler (Ultra cool) with twin therm cont cooling fans which reduced oil temp in hot summer 85-90+ deg f heat by 50deg f on my bascially stock 09 FLHTCU w-96TC,ESP SITTING STILL IN TRAFFIC 2 LIGHTS OR IN SLOW MOVING TRAFFIC!

And its also true that when you reduce oil temp up to 50deg f in an air cooled (or sem-water or oil cooled) HD engine temp is also significantly reduced @ the same time too.

" YOUR LEAVING A LOT ON THE TABLE WHEN NOT INSTALLING AN OIL COOLER WITH ELEC COOLING FANS! " ,esp when sitting still at stoplights and or at slower road speed's in summer heat.

The 50deg f reduction in oil temp resulted in multiple improvements in engine perf & overall rider comfort right off the bat which are as follows:

* HOT OIL PRESSURE IMPROVED/INCREASED BY 10-12PSI @ IDLE & CRUISE POST INSTALLING THE FAN ASSISTED OIL COOLER.

OIL PRESSURE WENT FROM 7-8PSI @ IDLE & 32-32PSI @ CRUISE IN SUMMER HEAT (NO FAN ASSISTED OIL COOLER) TO NOW 17-18PSI @ IDLE & 45-47PSI @ CRUISE IN SAME SUMMER HEAT WITH FAN ASSISTED OIL COOLER THAT REDUCED OIL TEMP 50DEG F BEING THE ONLY CHANGE MADE.

* VALVES/LIFTERS NOW REMAIN QUIET IN SUMMER HEAT.

* MOTOR NOW RETAINS MOST OF THE PWR/TRQ & CRISP THROTTLE RESPONSE WE ALL KNOW OUR HD'S ALWAYS LOOSE IN WARMER SUMMER HEAT.

* MOTOR STOPPED DETONATING ON HD'S REC 91 OCTANE FUEL IN SUMMER HEAT . NOW I DONT HAVE TO RUN PREMIUM ANYMORE THAT ONLY REDUCED THE DETONATION WHEN THE OIL & MOTOR WERE RUNNING MUCH HOTTER PRIOR TO INSTALLING A FAN ASSISTED OIL COOLER LOWERING OIL TEMP 59DEG F.

* HOT STARTS FOR EXAMPLE POST FUELING UP IN SUMMER HEAT ARE FASTER/EASIER DUE TO BATTERY/STARTER & MOTOR BEING LESS HEAT SOAKED.

* OIL & MOTOR RUNNING MUCH COOLER IN SUMMER HEAT ALSO REDUCED HEAT HITTING THE RIDERS TOO.

If those arent good enough reasons to install a fan assisted oil cooler i don't know what is !/LOL!!!

Especially when you consider many of the above issues that were fixed or significantly improved post cooling the oil 50deg f in my bike's motor are pretty common issues many HD riders encounter whenever riding in warmer temp,esp in summer heat.

BTW,wanted to i also installed Wards cooling fans which go a good job @ cooling the heads and upper cyls but had little affect on overall oil temp in summer heat.

Also,i get oil temp from stock type HD oil temp gauge & sending unit & run Spectro 20w-50 motorcycle specific oil specifically designed & formulated for lrg HD v-twins .

I run their semi blend or full syn depending on whats going on/where i am planning to ride & mileage i plan on riding too.

Bottom line is installing the fan assisted ultracool oil cooler along with Wards cooling fans both at the same time was some of the best money i have spent on the bike thus far that resulted in multiple improvements in engine perf & overall rider comfort right off the bat.

Hope this gives you some good 1st hand information in which to make your decision when it comes to getting an oil cooler with or without thermostatically controlled cooling fans for max cooling effort.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 03-30-2017 at 11:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wscott:
Sparkybob477 (05-01-2017), Zuul (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 03:28 AM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 303 Likes on 218 Posts

Scott thanks for the write up. How long have you been running the ultracool unit?

Old 03-31-2017, 03:45 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

I run an Oil Bud, and love the clean look, the bullet proof construction, and the fact that it works as advertised. I've been running it on my last couple bikes for almost 180k combined and never had one issue.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:41 AM
DMetcalf
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

E-mail Bud Clark and chat with him for a bit about the aircraft quality he uses in the oil cooler build he requires. buddyclarkegmail.com

To each their own but it's worth a quick e-mail to get all of your information to make an informed decision.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:07 AM
Deckman
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Jagg 10 row oil cooler on my 07 FLHX. It helped a little, maybe a few degrees. Now have the Wards fans, plus just installed fans on the oil cooler. The Wards fans made the biggest difference in cooling down the motor. Since I had the 107 big bore it runs hotter than the stock 96. If I had the do it again I would get the Oil Bud in place of the Jagg, more cooling surface area, acts like a heat exchanger.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:38 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

got the HD premium cooler almost sense new(240$). Had to rebuild(hoses/gaskets 50$)a few years back, probably could have been avoided if I had checked ALL the fasteners and used some sealant from the start.

added the wards fans and thermostat later.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:55 AM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott
================================================== =

FYI,when talking oil cooler keep in mind that when your at slow road speeds and sitting in traffic @ stop lights an oil cooler without thermostatically controlled elec cooling fans will suffer significant cooling efficiency loss due to lack of airflow,plain & simple.

I installed an oil cooler (Ultra cool) with twin therm cont cooling fans which reduced oil temp in hot summer 85-90+ deg f heat by 50deg f on my bascially stock 09 FLHTCU w-96TC,ESP SITTING STILL IN TRAFFIC 2 LIGHTS OR IN SLOW MOVING TRAFFIC!

And its also true that when you reduce oil temp up to 50deg f in an air cooled (or sem-water or oil cooled) HD engine temp is also significantly reduced @ the same time too.

" YOUR LEAVING A LOT ON THE TABLE WHEN NOT INSTALLING AN OIL COOLER WITH ELEC COOLING FANS! " ,esp when sitting still at stoplights and or at slower road speed's in summer heat.

The 50deg f reduction in oil temp resulted in multiple improvements in engine perf & overall rider comfort right off the bat which are as follows:

* HOT OIL PRESSURE IMPROVED/INCREASED BY 10-12PSI @ IDLE & CRUISE POST INSTALLING THE FAN ASSISTED OIL COOLER.

OIL PRESSURE WENT FROM 7-8PSI @ IDLE & 32-32PSI @ CRUISE IN SUMMER HEAT (NO FAN ASSISTED OIL COOLER) TO NOW 17-18PSI @ IDLE & 45-47PSI @ CRUISE IN SAME SUMMER HEAT WITH FAN ASSISTED OIL COOLER THAT REDUCED OIL TEMP 50DEG F BEING THE ONLY CHANGE MADE.

* VALVES/LIFTERS NOW REMAIN QUIET IN SUMMER HEAT.

* MOTOR NOW RETAINS MOST OF THE PWR/TRQ & CRISP THROTTLE RESPONSE WE ALL KNOW OUR HD'S ALWAYS LOOSE IN WARMER SUMMER HEAT.

* MOTOR STOPPED DETONATING ON HD'S REC 91 OCTANE FUEL IN SUMMER HEAT . NOW I DONT HAVE TO RUN PREMIUM ANYMORE THAT ONLY REDUCED THE DETONATION WHEN THE OIL & MOTOR WERE RUNNING MUCH HOTTER PRIOR TO INSTALLING A FAN ASSISTED OIL COOLER LOWERING OIL TEMP 59DEG F.

* HOT STARTS FOR EXAMPLE POST FUELING UP IN SUMMER HEAT ARE FASTER/EASIER DUE TO BATTERY/STARTER & MOTOR BEING LESS HEAT SOAKED.

* OIL & MOTOR RUNNING MUCH COOLER IN SUMMER HEAT ALSO REDUCED HEAT HITTING THE RIDERS TOO.

If those arent good enough reasons to install a fan assisted oil cooler i don't know what is !/LOL!!!

Especially when you consider many of the above issues that were fixed or significantly improved post cooling the oil 50deg f in my bike's motor are pretty common issues many HD riders encounter whenever riding in warmer temp,esp in summer heat.

BTW,wanted to i also installed Wards cooling fans which go a good job @ cooling the heads and upper cyls but had little affect on overall oil temp in summer heat.

Also,i get oil temp from stock type HD oil temp gauge & sending unit & run Spectro 20w-50 motorcycle specific oil specifically designed & formulated for lrg HD v-twins .

I run their semi blend or full syn depending on whats going on/where i am planning to ride & mileage i plan on riding too.

Bottom line is installing the fan assisted ultracool oil cooler along with Wards cooling fans both at the same time was some of the best money i have spent on the bike thus far that resulted in multiple improvements in engine perf & overall rider comfort right off the bat.

Hope this gives you some good 1st hand information in which to make your decision when it comes to getting an oil cooler with or without thermostatically controlled cooling fans for max cooling effort.

Scott
Scott,
I am interested in the UltraCool & Ward's,,, just want to learn more...A few (well, more than a few lol) Questions??

You consistently claim a 50* Reduction in Oil Temps and Improved Oil Pressure with your set-up,,,

1) I see you are using "a stock type HD Temp Gauge & sending unit" What additional Equipment / Gauges are you using to gather this Data??

2) How long have you been acquiring Data for this Comparison??

3) What were / are your before and after Temperature / Pressure Ranges that you have recorded???

4) What Speeds / General Conditions were / are you seeing this 50* Reduction / Improved Pressures??

5) How is this affecting Cylinder Head Temperatures??

6) Does your '09 have a Tuner?? If so what is it??

Thanks for your response!

Last edited by FlaHeatWave; 03-31-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply: So...oil cooler thread....