Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, I can't decide. RK or SG???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 08:54 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I have owned and do own both. Pro’s for the king are versatility and that open feeling when riding. Con’s are resale value and not having the heads up gages. Wind management is better on the glide in the cold. Ride wise the RK has better suspension in the rear. The batwing is a bug magnet and the bike is not as easy to keep clean if you are obsessive about it (I am). I guess it really boils down to what you want and how you want to use it.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:58 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,708 Likes on 2,689 Posts

You honestly can't go wrong with either one. I've owned both. I prefer my Street Glide because of the music and GPS that's always on the bike. I like my tunes and I got tired of trying to hook up an iPod and wearing earbuds. Both are great bikes though.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:39 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,693 Likes on 827 Posts

Summer

Winter

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (04-19-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 09:39 AM
ChaseTheRide
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Go with the bike that you like the look of most. If your not getting off the bike, walking away and looking back going "Dam that's my bike", than you have the wrong bike. I also have never like a fairing or rear truck. Now saying that there are times both would be nice. With the King I can have the look I want and quickly attach those touring items for longer trips.

Not sure I will go to a fairing ever, got a Freedom Shield and some fangs and have no wind or buffering issues. Granted I did not like the look of the ***s at first, however they function, and are small detail few notice and have grown on me. Along with the fact the Freedom Shield is not as big and looks more sleek than the stock shield. However there are a number of companies that make fairings for the King if you want one in the future.

Same goes for the trunk. Can get one that is quick attach for longer rides. However a quick detach rack and nice bag works just as well for me.

I do have the soft lowers and when temps drop below 40 will toss those on to help keep some of the air movement off my legs.

Best of all on a hot summer day cruising around town I can pop off the shield and enjoy the wind therapy.

The gauges are one thing that are hard to match up. I used a Power Vision and have it mounted down near the tree. Gives me all the gauges plus that the fairing bikes have, granted not as good as an eye level however much better than the tank and give me the look I wanted. Also once again if I want the clean no shield, nothing on the bars, no junk on my rear look 5 minutes and I have a sleek around town cruiser

The King is just an over all more versatile bike as far as I am concern.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:35 AM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnut1

Summer

Winter
Absolutely gorgeous King, Magnut1.

Magnut1 (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 02:09 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,099 Likes on 3,331 Posts

Came from sport bikes... 56 years old here. Picked up a new 2017 RK after testing it and the SG. I don't regret it one bit. The SG has only 2 inches rear suspension travel and I just didn't need the electronics. Plus there is less mass to the steering head without the fairing.Both amazing bikes though. But I LOVE the RK.

shorelasHD (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 02:13 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,099 Likes on 3,331 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnut1

Summer

Winter

Great looking ride.. Looks good with the tour pack on it too.

Magnut1 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 02:42 PM
JWP07
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

Just an observation that could be completely wrong however - I will throw it out there and make myself an easy target. Please know - no disrespect to any bike intended!

I personally see more used SGs/RGs on the market than RKs? (I could be completely wrong) Just curious as to if this is accurate at all and if so - why do riders keep hold of their RKs longer than other bikes?

Just throwing it out there!

Old 04-18-2017, 02:45 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 309 Posts

Both, you only live once.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:30 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,708 Likes on 2,689 Posts

Originally Posted by JWP07
Just an observation that could be completely wrong however - I will throw it out there and make myself an easy target. Please know - no disrespect to any bike intended!

I personally see more used SGs/RGs on the market than RKs? (I could be completely wrong) Just curious as to if this is accurate at all and if so - why do riders keep hold of their RKs longer than other bikes?

Just throwing it out there!
Probably the case. The Street Glides and Road Glides sell at much higher volumes than the Road Kings. The have also undergone a number of major improvements over the last 4-5 years. So naturally guys trade up to the new models.

jd05flhtci (04-18-2017)

Quick Reply: Help, I can't decide. RK or SG???