Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster owner looking for advice on tour bikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 06:16 PM
SwerdnaHD
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies!

I think maybe as was suggested here, I would be better off trying to find a newer model.

If I decided to forego the fairing, I could probably spring for the 2017 road king new. If they gave a good enough incentive or I made it an additional year loan I might be able to go for a 2017 SG.
Maybe it's worth the financial difference to grab a brand new one.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:50 PM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Meh new. Too many garage queens out there. Look at eBay completed listings to see what bikes are actually selling for.

For 13k I bet you could pick up a Rushmore road king. Why go fairing when the RK windshield does a good job, and can come off?

Don't overlook police bikes (I'm biased) you can get more bike for less $.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:46 PM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior

Received 1,076 Likes on 450 Posts

I was in a similar position last year about this time, upgrading to a touring bike from a smaller metric bike. I looked at multiple bikes new and used at several dealers and decided I wanted a '14 or newer for the Rushmore upgrades. For me, I have no interest in the touchscreen/GPS/radio on a motorcycle, and like being able to take off the windshield for short cruises around town, so ended up finding a low mileage 2014 Road King at a dealer for right at $15k OTD. I kept my old bike, thinking I would ride it around town or for shorter trips, but the Road King is so easy to ride and flexible with the quick release windshield that I ended up selling the Yamaha this spring because it just wasn't getting ridden.

With the new M8, dealers are dropping prices on new 2016 models, and used prices have also dropped some. I have seen ads for 4k off MSRP on 2016s.
With $7k cash and $1k trade value, you could finance a new or much newer used bike for a pretty low payment assuming your credit is decent. If you are wanting to just pay cash, then I would try to find an '09 or newer, since those have the newer frame.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:52 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

The way I would do it (most don't do it like me) would be to add the used in budget 09 -10 touring bike (new frame).

Then after a season or two decide if trading both for a new one or keeping one as a back up.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:09 PM
SwerdnaHD
6th Gear

Oh, keeping both for a possible bigger trade is a good idea. I was only really considering keeping the Sporty because my old lady is talking about getting her license, and I thought it would be a good bike for her. If I find the right deal on ebay or similar though, the potential of a real nice upgrade next year would be cool. By then the sporty will be about paid off as well.

I need to test drive a RK or two and see how I like them. Road glides too, but I have a feeling I'll hate the frame mounted fairing.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:49 AM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Whatever you end up buying take the Advanced Rider class. These bikes will do things you won't believe but you need to learn how to handle them. Things you can be "messy" with on a Sportster are a problem on a big bike. I rode for 12 years on a smaller bike and struggled with the 900 plus pound Ultra. Took this class and it was just what I needed.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:09 AM
Kburgad
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

One of my parts guys is 5'4 150lbs maybe while wet. He rides an ultra. You will be just fine with practice. If I was looking again I would buy the newest ultra you can and strip it down to look like a street glide. Around my area used ultras are either the same price or 1k cheaper and you have everything needed to tour that way. Cheaper to add the detach kit than the tour pak. Lower fairings extend my ride from 400 to 600 without knee or hip ache. Can get a new fender in the front to get rid of the light for cheap and the bumpers come right off.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:53 AM
Ex-Leftcoaster
Banned
Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

If you decide on an RK, you could always add a detachable batwing fairing, with or w/o tunes to extend your riding season.

Going newer as suggested is good.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:57 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

I changed my opinion, I think you should get the new 2017 Road King Special, a Cool Bike.

John

Old 05-02-2017, 05:55 AM
SwerdnaHD
6th Gear

I'd love to get the new RK special... that is a sweet looking bike!

Just north of my budget, though...

Quick Reply: Sportster owner looking for advice on tour bikes