Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Harley Garage opener versus Custom Dynamics LED TruBeam headlight (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1173680-harley-garage-opener-versus-custom-dynamics-led-trubeam-headlight.html)

itznin 04-30-2017 07:23 PM

Harley Garage opener versus Custom Dynamics LED TruBeam headlight

My dealer wired up the Harley garage door opener (91558-01B) for me, I brought it home and couldn't sync it.

The headlight is the LED Custom Dynamics TruBeam.

I brought it back to Harley and the tech disconnected the actual headlight and the transmitter synced with the receiver no problem. The minute the headlight was plugged back in they no longer communicated until the headlight was unplugged again.

Anyone else have this same configuration?

I suggested to the dealer that we mount the transmitter under the seat so it is away from the headlight but they said since it's wired to the light it won't make a difference. Any thoughts on that?

They also said since the BCM is there RF frequency may cause interference. All of this makes SOME sense but why not try it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. My whole front end lighting is CD so I can't change the headlight now and I need the garage opener to work.

Thoughts?

Edit SOLVED - See my posts below for part # of Custom Dynamics part that fixes the issue

shorelasHD 04-30-2017 07:30 PM

Tagging this thread. Planning on a VisionX (OEM) for the TruBeam) headlight, but using an OEM garage door opener in my windshield bag. Don't anticipate problems, but curious.

I'm thinking an RF filter might be the answer, but the Custom Dynamics or the VisionX people are more likely to have the answer than the Harley dealer. CD has a great customer service department, try calling them tomorrow.

dawg 04-30-2017 07:31 PM

Perhaps one of these garage door openers would work?

jt metal 04-30-2017 07:43 PM

Very problematic at best. So many variables that could cause a delay are endless.

CJeep 04-30-2017 09:41 PM

I know it does not solve your problem, but if you ditch the HD opener, why not try a keychain opener? I use one, with my bike key on a carabiner on a belt loop. Its worked great for me for years.

itznin 05-01-2017 08:06 AM

Thank you all for the responses.... I'll be calling CD today to speak with their customer service for advice.

Keychain opener will be my LAST resort. I already have the Harley garage opener and that would be ideal/cleanest so I am going to try everything in my power to make that work.

Keep the ideas coming - I will update today after speaking with CD.

DamifIknow 05-01-2017 08:31 AM

My dealer told me the Custom Dynamics LED head light it would interfere with radio reception.

GRWHD 05-01-2017 08:41 AM

:icon_lurk5: following this one.
I have been packing my opener in the saddle bag and slip it into my pocket once on the way home.

Spartanden 05-01-2017 11:15 AM

I can't offer much... I have the hd opener on my street glide and the truck lite led headlamp and all things Harley led driving lights.... no problems. I'd be curious what you find out as well. good luck on your search.

itznin 05-01-2017 01:42 PM

I just spoke to Custom Dynamics - They indicated that there is a resistor that goes in-between the H4 to H9/H11 adapter and the headlight

OR

in-between the Hi/Lo adapter whichever I choose is fine

They are shipping the adapter to me today, I will update again once I bring it back to the dealer to square away since the bike is already there.

CD is great they identified the problem immediately and had a solution (hopefully)....

EDIT - This fixed the problem, actual part number in a later post

Garryjo 05-23-2017 03:37 PM

itznin
Could you share with us the adapter that you got form CD? part number?
My dad and I are in the middle of doing the exact same setup as you described.

Thanks for sharing.

todd-67 05-23-2017 04:31 PM

I just use a fob fixed to the underside of the inner faring with velcro. Cheap, works everytime and I am the only one that knows that it's there.

BernieR 05-23-2017 07:02 PM

Led bulbs

Hi Guys,
I build houses for a living. I know that if you replace the bulb in the garage door operator with an led bulb, the remotes don't work. You end up drilling a door lock because you didn't bring your keys.
I put a keypad on the outside of garage. I have to get off the bike and walk 5'.
I probably need the exercise anyways.

CVO SG 05-23-2017 07:54 PM

I wonder if you could relocate the transmitter elsewhere, such as behind side cover or under seat and run a signal wire up to the head light to tap in?

itznin 05-24-2017 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Garryjo (Post 16265961)
itznin
Could you share with us the adapter that you got form CD? part number?
My dad and I are in the middle of doing the exact same setup as you described.

Thanks for sharing.

Garry - No problem here is the exact part they shipped me:

Item #: CDTB-HDO - Resistor for Garage Door Opener

alarmdoug 05-25-2017 06:01 AM

I don't have an LED headlight, nor a garage opener (yet) but do work with electronics (security system/video/access control) trouble shooting and installing.

Anyway, sometimes after-market stuff like LEDs from companies other then the OEM, well, how the LED functions and possible interference in the vehicles electronics is an afterthought. Where an OEM it will be a "first thought"/
(sometimes I even have to remind myself of this)

An LED is not a light bulb, its an electronic device, the garage door opener interference is just one example, with that much "Noise" / interference you have to reasonably assume it might be interfering with much more important electronics on your bike, possibly engine management systems etc.

Anyway, sometimes after-market electronics such as LEDs can be a crap shoot, most are made in China and not properly vetted for issues.
I see some really weird stuff interfere with WiFi networks and Security systems in homes and businesses.
Its relatively rare but again, I have to remind myself, it does happen and I cant help wonder if they are radiating so much "noise" do these after market LEDs ever interfere with a bikes electronics, fuel management etc. I have no idea if they do but I suspect in rare cases they may.

alarmdoug 05-25-2017 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by BernieR (Post 16266503)
Hi Guys,
I build houses for a living. I know that if you replace the bulb in the garage door operator with an led bulb, the remotes don't work. You end up drilling a door lock because you didn't bring your keys.
I put a keypad on the outside of garage. I have to get off the bike and walk 5'.
I probably need the exercise anyways.

If you read my post above, I agree, again, its hit or miss, it depends on the manufacturer of the electronic LED.
I have cheap, Lowes, 89 cent Black Friday LEDs in my two garage door openers, never had an issue.
The FCC has rules to control this "noise" from devices, sometimes its below the threshold for "noise" other times not and we all know not everyone follows rules.
Even it it is below the threshold. if its put in a place the maker of the product was not expecting LED noise, the product might not properly reject it.

TriGeezer 10-17-2017 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by alarmdoug (Post 16270938)
I don't have an LED headlight, nor a garage opener (yet) but do work with electronics (security system/video/access control) trouble shooting and installing.

Anyway, sometimes after-market stuff like LEDs from companies other then the OEM, well, how the LED functions and possible interference in the vehicles electronics is an afterthought. Where an OEM it will be a "first thought"/
(sometimes I even have to remind myself of this)

An LED is not a light bulb, its an electronic device, the garage door opener interference is just one example, with that much "Noise" / interference you have to reasonably assume it might be interfering with much more important electronics on your bike, possibly engine management systems etc.

Anyway, sometimes after-market electronics such as LEDs can be a crap shoot, most are made in China and not properly vetted for issues.
I see some really weird stuff interfere with WiFi networks and Security systems in homes and businesses.
Its relatively rare but again, I have to remind myself, it does happen and I cant help wonder if they are radiating so much "noise" do these after market LEDs ever interfere with a bikes electronics, fuel management etc. I have no idea if they do but I suspect in rare cases they may.

I was about to say bull dung on the LEDs interfering with the bike's electronics. But then I remembered that recently and randomly my FOB doesn't seem to connect to my bike. And yes...the batteries are new. I began to think it had something to do with my procedure. Now..hmmm...I recently installed Cyron LED bulbs in my spots. I wonder if they are generating enough interference to impact the FOB to bike communications?

So, before i do any headlight LED conversions...I'll try to replicate the issue, and see if turning off the spots makes a difference.

btsom 10-18-2017 10:51 AM

" I was about to say bull dung on the LEDs interfering with the bike's electronics. But then I remembered that recently and randomly my FOB doesn't seem to connect to my bike. And yes...the batteries are new. I began to think it had something to do with my procedure. Now..hmmm...I recently installed Cyron LED bulbs in my spots. I wonder if they are generating enough interference to impact the FOB to bike communications?

So, before i do any headlight LED conversions...I'll try to replicate the issue, and see if turning off the spots makes a difference."

There is a lot of "magic" in electronics not known about or understood by people not in the business. My question, raised as one NOT in the business, is how would those new lights interfere BEFORE they are turned on? I suspect you have a different problem.

General observation: Perhaps this contributes to the higher price of the Harley branded LED lights, can't remember anyone having this problem after a Daymaker installation, though it might have happened.

penmaker 10-18-2017 06:10 PM

I've got the Mo-Door opener. I've been pleased with it. Nothing to wire, just drill a small hole in the fairing and put the button in. Everything looks factory. You have to program the remote to the door opener.

http://www.mo-door.com/Factory-HD-Switch.html

Estil 10-18-2017 08:04 PM

I just used a spare garage door opener and wired it to a pushbutton I installed on the heat shield on left side. Easy to do and works great. Only cost I had was cost of button at Harley shop. About $15 I think. Opener is hidden under seat and button looks good mounted on heat shield.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...067ed9875c.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...61f54d223a.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...952ae1a42e.jpg