Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which fans to cool engine in FL??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 07:04 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,627 Posts

I have a '13 CVO Ultra with the 110 engine.
This bike came stock with an oil cooler and I've also added the Ward's fan kit but IMHO, reducing the heat at the source is better than trying to cool it afterwards.

If you haven't removed the catalytic converter from your exhaust system, or better still, going to a full dual exhaust, this is the best way to reduce engine heat at the source.

I had the Rinehart XT True duals installed and a dyno tune done at the 1,000 mile service and I cold feel the difference (especially on my RH leg) on the first ride after having this done.

Another thing that I've tried, especially when I ride south (into hotter climates) is using 20w-60w Redline Synthetic motor oil (I usually use SYN3) and it just may be my imagination but to me it seems to make my engine run quieter or at least less tappet "ticking".

Old 05-12-2017, 07:41 PM
RoadKingCop
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Tarkus

Those tiny little fans point at the spark plugs / temp sensors. So basically they cool the spark plugs / sensors and trick the ecm into thinking the engine is cooler than it is. In my opinion, they are a total scam. The EITMS may not kick on because the sensors are being cooled giving YOU the false impression that the ENGINE is being cooled.

Just think about it. Air movement is the only thing to cool these engines. Focusing air on a spark plug isn't cooling anything but the spark plug.

Ben

Old 05-12-2017, 08:06 PM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKingCop
Those tiny little fans point at the spark plugs / temp sensors. So basically they cool the spark plugs / sensors and trick the ecm into thinking the engine is cooler than it is. In my opinion, they are a total scam. The EITMS may not kick on because the sensors are being cooled giving YOU the false impression that the ENGINE is being cooled.

Just think about it. Air movement is the only thing to cool these engines. Focusing air on a spark plug isn't cooling anything but the spark plug.

Ben
I am someone who has the Ward's fans. I don't theorize like some. I have done test rides and compared readings with and without the fans. When my oil temp gauge goes down when I turn the fans on, I trust the probe's readings. Now. Where is the probe? No where near the heads. Even in upper 90's heat and stop and go traffic, I have never seen limp mode.
Just my two cents.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:08 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 793 Likes on 604 Posts

It would depend if you are concerned about the heat you are exposed to or the bike.
The bike itself can handle the heat.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:22 PM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

I just purchased the new style Lenale Fan but havent had time to install it yet. Im impressed with the look, it mounts where the horn is, in fact, its not much bigger then the horn and I think it looks way better too.
It also comes with a horn relocation kit but I decided I am going to mount the horn right above the oil cooler on the cross brace without that chrome cover on it.
I did quickly plug the fan in out of curiosity and, well, I can tell you one thing, assuming it will last, the thing certainly blows a lot of air, sounds like a jet engine.
The Lenale doesnt come with a thermostat, you turn it on when stuck in traffic and I like it for that reason.

As far as the companies selling those small fans that mount near the spark plugs, without question I think they are very effective too. MAYBE more so if you think you need it.
If you look carefully at the spark plugs and place a flashlight on the other side of the engine you will see the light straight through to the plug. The top of the engine actually has 4 air channels (front to back and side to side I am pretty sure) on each head that those small fans blow across.
Thing is for me, I do not really want fans cycling on and off on a daily basis, I just want a fan I can turn on a handful of times every year when I am stuck in traffic. I live in a state with fast moving roads (most times) and we do a lot of interstate. A place like Florida, maybe the choice would be different then my riding.

Last fall, for the fun of it, I replaced the stock OEM 6 row oil cooler with a Jagg 10 row, so far I am impressed with it, true test comes this summer in 100 degree heat traveling 2 up at 80 MPH. Again, this was a "fun" thing for me, maybe to just shave possibly up to 10 degrees more off the oil temps at high speeds of course even without a fan (you can get it with a fan) it will help a little more even moving slow.

Believe it or not, (I am crazy, again, for the fun of it, keeping track of my oil temperatures) the highest oil temperatures are at high speeds, not low speeds, (again, except when stuck in very slow moving traffic) so now I understand why OEM oil coolers on bike normally do not have fans, sure, a fan will help if stuck in traffic but an engine fan, no matter which one you choose will in my opinion be way more effective reducing engine heat which will also keep oil temperatures acceptable.

(side note, today I just installed Harley LED saddlebag run/brake/turn lights, very impressed with them, hope they last)

When done with the fan, hopefully by next weekend, I post photos.

Last edited by alarmdoug; 05-12-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:15 PM
pingman68
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

OP has a 2013, don't they come stock with oil cooler already??

Old 05-12-2017, 11:58 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by roysclockgun
When I lived in Md. I owned, over the years, seven HD motorcycles. These went from a 1949 Pan Head 61 cu. in. EL model, up to a 1985 FLTC. Up there I seldom rode in groups and of course, the weather was cooler than FL. So, I never worried about the engine overheating.

Now I ride with a number of groups. Most of them ride in convoys of MCs at a very slow pace. And, stopping often while idling does causes heat to build up.

My current ride is a 2013 Limited, 103 engine. This is the finest Harley that I have ever ridden. However, I worry about the heat. I ride mostly with my lady friend up. Our combined weight is around 400 lbs. or so.

I am asking anyone with experience in add-ons that will bring the engine heat down, to respond and give me some ideas about what to put on my HD.

Given the costs of these bikes, an investment up to $1000 seems worth the stretch. I am not looking for the cheapest fix, but the most effective way to combat heat in my engine.

I have read about some brands of fans that are offered, but don't know which ones to go with, or whether there is something more effective out there that I can buy and install or have installed.

Please help!!!

Steven in DeLand, FL
===============================

If your bike has stock hd oil cooler with no cooling fans its not very efficient when needed most like sitting at stoplights or when i slow moving traffic in summer heat both of which result in little to no airflow thru the oil cooler with no cooling fans just when max cooling in needed most an oil cooler with no cooling fans leaves you flat!

With that said i had heat issues on my 09 flhtcu and added 2 cooling mods that resulted in a 50der f reduction in oil temp min summer heat.

And remember,its also the oils job to cool a motorcycle motor too so wen oil temp is reduced 50deg f engine temp is also significantly reduced @ same time too.

I added an oil cooler (Ultracool) with 2 elec cooling fans along with Wards cooling fans (like Love jugs new Mighty-Mite cooling fans) that collectively together reduced oil temp 50deg f in summer heat.

The oil cooler doe's the majority of reducing oil temp which is what it's designed to do,wards cooling only reduced oil temp on my approx 3-5deg f max in summer heat which is ok.

That 3-5deg f reduction in oil temp in summer heat with wards fans helps,thats for sure.

But the wards cooling fans do a good job of targeting cooling the heads and upper cyls,100+ deg reduction in heat in those areas per data on Wards cooling fans website which is what they are designed to do in the 1st place.

Below are the improvements my bike got post installing the 2 cooling mods that reduced oil temp 50deg f in summer heat:

* MOTOR STOPPED DETONATING OH HD'S REC 91 OCTANE FUEL FOR MY 09'S 96" MOTOR WITH STOCK 9.2 COMPRESSION.

* VALVES/LIFTERS NO REMAIN QUIET.

* OIL PRESSURE IN SUMMER HEAT IMPROVED/INCREASED BY 10-12PSI @ IDLE & CRUISE SPEED.

* MOTOR NOW RETAINS MOST OF THE PWR/TRQ & CRISP THROTTLE RESPONSE IT USED TO ALWAYS LOOSE IN SUMMER HEAT PRIOR TO INSTALLING THE 2 COOLING MODS.

* RESTARTS IN SUMMER LIKE POST FUELING UP ARE NOW EASIER/FASTER
BECAUSE THE MOTOR/BATTERY/STARTER ARE LESS HEAT SOAKED WHICH COULD POSSIBLY EXTEND THE BATTERY & STATER SRV'C LIFE A BIT TOO.

* THE HEAT COMING FROM THE MOTOR AND EXHAUST IS LESS INTENSE/REDUCED TOO WHICH IS A GOOD THING TOO.

Again,it was both of those 2 cooling mods collectively working together as a team that resulted in all the above mentioned improvements in engine perf & overall rider comfort.

BTW,the fans not only come on sitting at lights or in slow moving traffic in extreme heat like 95-100+ deg f HHH summer heat the elec cooling fans do min fact still kick on at cruise to assist cooling so crusing 2up & bags loded on my bike oil temp still never went past 23-235deg f and would eventually go back down to 210-215deg f where the fans would turn off again.

Then if oil temp was to slowly to inc back over 210-215 de f the fans would kick back on again and would stay on in extreme 95-100+ deg heat.

But the elec fans dont normally cycle on/off at cruise speed in more moderate 80-90deg f temps because oil temp stays @ approx 185-195deg f (once in a while 200deg f) most of the time never hitting the the 210-215deg f temp required to kick them on.

Need to keep in mind with oil cooler mounted low behind front fender & tire airflow is a bit reduced in that area at cruise speed which is why the elec cooling are still effective at cruise speed along with when sitting still or at slower road speeds too.

Prior to installing the 2 cooling mod's oil temp used hit 245-250 deg f @ cruise and higher in slower moving traffic and esp at stoplights,but now thats a thing of the past.

So if you decide to install only 1 of the 2 cooling mods i ref to above you wont get the same results.

Hope my experience with reducing my HD's extreme heat helped you out.

Scott.

Last edited by wscott; 05-13-2017 at 12:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (05-29-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 09:14 AM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

The Love Jugs work in stop and go traffic. Coming down into Denver from Vail we hit stop and go traffic. My friend 2013 ultra with Powervision indicated 380 degrees head temp my 2013 ultra indicated 265. Now my friend has Love Jugs. These things work.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:20 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
Another option is a product that we make called a crotch cooler. It is a leather barrier between you and the engine and it works very well as we have a lot of positive feedback over the years that we have been here. If you have any questions please email or contact us . We always have time to talk .. Thank you Itch.
Great product! I've been running one of years! In fact that's on my todo list for today--to put the crotch cooler back on now that the temperatures are rising.

There is very little chance of your motorcycle overheating (they're built for it), especially with the EITMS engaged. The crotch cooler keeps the heat away from your legs.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:53 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,525 Likes on 1,421 Posts

For me, the cat is gone, and full synthetic, and I ride. Gets mighty hot here, too.

Quick Reply: Which fans to cool engine in FL??