Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid Change w/ABS

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 08:44 AM
jimglassford
Tourer
Received 195 Likes on 115 Posts

I don't think the ABS situation has been over discussed. It is a safety issue no matter what side of the debate. It has been discussed a lot less than the daily new posted topics of what seat to use, what length cables are needed for the apes and should I change the rear shocks on my bike?

The following users liked this post:
batmobile (03-26-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 08:47 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,573 Likes on 1,088 Posts

I wish Dynojet would just add the ABS brake flushing feature to their Powervision. Seems like an obvious enhancement to me.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:18 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,202 Posts

Originally Posted by jimglassford
I don't think the ABS situation has been over discussed. It is a safety issue no matter what side of the debate. It has been discussed a lot less than the daily new posted topics of what seat to use, what length cables are needed for the apes and should I change the rear shocks on my bike?
It's beating a dead horse. Other than flushing, there's not much else we can do about it unless someone wants to lawyer up to H-D. Any takers?

Old 01-09-2019, 10:08 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,726 Likes on 5,226 Posts

You do know that BMW also requires a 2 year brake flush. . OF course the only uproar you hear is about HD.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:51 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,526 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
You do know that BMW also requires a 2 year brake flush. . OF course the only uproar you hear is about HD.
The manual for my 'King did not require a 2 year brake flush.
It was a "Recommendation".
My manual also "Recommends" you remove the fuel tank to replace your air cleaner. Hmm...

Old 01-09-2019, 05:04 PM
TheITMercenary
Former Sponsor
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
I wish Dynojet would just add the ABS brake flushing feature to their Powervision. Seems like an obvious enhancement to me.
It's unfortunately not a simple thing to implement (and I know this intimately if you have visited our site).

On the upshot, this (and many other reasons) are why I created my HD1 and HD2 products. Fast, cheap, easy.

blacktop37 (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 05:10 PM
TheITMercenary
Former Sponsor
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
The difference is that BMW's don't have the potential to lose all brake function if you don't flush the fluid. HD is hiding behind maintenance schedules instead of updating the braking system.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:26 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,526 Likes on 1,421 Posts

ABS module failures are also happening to bikes that have had their brakes flushed within the schedule.
The GM of my dealer said they have had modules go out right there while being flushed, on bikes they have flushed on schedule, and had given no previous warnings. "And it's not our fault", He says.
Yet some people and the MoCo want to blame the bike owner.
This BS is getting old.

GalvTexGuy (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 05:36 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Received 429 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
ABS module failures are also happening to bikes that have had their brakes flushed within the schedule.
The GM of my dealer said they have had modules go out right there while being flushed, on bikes they have flushed on schedule, and had given no previous warnings. "And it's not our fault", He says.
Yet some people and the MoCo want to blame the bike owner.
This BS is getting old.
correct. and this is my primary reason for not having it done as the end results either way can be costly. I'm well aware that the alternative can be as costly or more.
I'm following ITMercenary's products. however, the posted videos leave much to be desired. seems like the videos would be more in depth.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:20 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,202 Posts

Another red flag that caught my attention was when all this ABS recall crap went down. All of a sudden there were no Hydraulic Control Units (HCU) for the recall affected bikes available to end users, though they are available for the newer models that aren't affected. Of course, the available HCUs are a completely different part. That tells me that H-D is hiding something. I've wondered if the HCUs that failed were replaced with a newer version or not. Anyone know?

FYI, there are three used HCUs available on eBay for ~$190. I've always wanted to get my hands on one to disassemble and take a look at the insides to try and determine why these things have failed. I ain't paying $190 for one, though.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Change w/ABS