Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why not combine front and rear brake into one

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 10:56 AM
720Deere
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Duracell
Not sure why so many riders think trail braking means using the rear brake but that is incorrect. Trail breaking means using the brakes (front, rear or both) when entering a corner, slowly releasing them by the apex of the turn.
There aren't many Freddie Spencers in this thread, that is for sure.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:57 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,655 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
I don't know why, but this discussion remind of an old-timer I ran into at the Harley parts counter. We somehow got into a discussion of braking and he admitted he never uses the front brakes in his 40 years of riding.

Beary
Yep, he's been doing it wrong for so far long he wouldn't know right if it bite him,,,,,,

I'm suprized all the time how many older riders still give that advice in alcohol driven conversations

Old 12-12-2017, 01:51 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

Not sure why so many riders think trail braking means using the rear brake but that is incorrect. Trail breaking means using the brakes (front, rear or both) when entering a corner, slowly releasing them by the apex of the turn.
Exactly.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:54 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 577 Likes on 417 Posts

I think it points to their never taking an MSF ARC or ERC class? Or any sort of formal rider training course? Although I know a few experienced riders that have (apparently) slept through the indoor classroom portion that addresses the subject because they will still describe trail braking incorrectly.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:32 PM
Tynker
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
HD has been providing linked brakes, as part of the ABS package, for several years. The hand brake activates front and rear...with more force in front. The brake pedal still operates just the rear, as there are times when only the rear is desired...such as slow speed maneuvers.
I think you have it backwards. On my '17 TGU, the lever only works the front brake, the pedal works both front and rear.

The following users liked this post:
lh4x4 (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 06:57 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Yes the trike linked brakes foot lever activates the rear disc and one front disc. On the touring two wheel bikes ABS system the ecm will drop out the link at 17 mph or lower. On the trikes (no ABS) they operate full time.

Since I winter ride every year the 14 Freewheeler gives me trouble when I go through small towns that don't always plow. When I try to stop at a light/sign the front wheel locks up. Bugs the heck out of me but I deal with it.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:26 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

It is interesting how technology changes but some peoples, not here of course, opinions / views or perceptions dont. Nothing "50" years old is technically as good as the same thing is now.

times change.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:32 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,392 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
HD has been providing linked brakes, as part of the ABS package, for several years. The hand brake activates front and rear...with more force in front. The brake pedal still operates just the rear, as there are times when only the rear is desired...such as slow speed maneuvers.
Um, no. The rear brake does not operate just the rear. Where did you get that idea?

To quote the owners manual (emphasis mine.)

At speeds greater than 32–40 km/h (20–25 mph), the system dynamically adjusts the linking for the amount of brake applied as well as vehicle speed to achieve an optimized brake balance. The system provides more linking when the rider is applying heavier braking and reduces or eliminates linking for light braking and low speeds.

NOTE: When applying both brakes, the rider may detect slight feedback in the front brake lever or rear brake pedal while the dynamic balancing occurs.

When linked, applying the front brake lever alone causes the system to also dynamically apply an amount of braking to the rear. Applying the rear brake pedal alone causes the system to also apply an amount of braking to the left front caliper. When applying both brakes, the system attempts to dynamically balance braking across both the front and rear wheels.
At speeds less than 32–40 km/h (20–25 mph), the brakes are not linked so that low speed maneuverability is not adversely affected, such as when riding the motorcycle in a parking lot.

Last edited by Keithhu; 12-12-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:36 PM
Rob175
Road Warrior
Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

Well Guys.....Here's what my 2015 Ultra Limited's Owners Manual says about how my year and model works......somewhat different than the previous poster. (This is a direct "cut & paste")

2014 and later Touring motorcycles with the Reflex anti-lock brake system have electronically linked brake functionality. This linked brake system provides more responsiveness and allows for more balanced front and rear braking under a wide variety of brake applications.
At speeds greater than 32–40 km/h (20–25 mph), the system dynamically adjusts the linking for the amount of brake applied as well as vehicle speed to achieve a more optimized brake balance. The system provides more linking when the rider is applying heavier braking, and reduces or eliminates linking for light braking and low speeds.
When linked, applying the front brake lever alone will cause the system to also dynamically apply an amount of braking to the rear. Applying the rear brake pedal alone will cause the system to also apply an amount of braking to the left front caliper. When applying both brakes, the system attempts to dynamically balance braking across both the front and rear wheels.
At speeds less than 32–40 km/h (20–25 mph), the brakes are not linked so that low speed maneuverability is not adversely affected, such as when riding the motorcycle in a parking lot.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:51 AM
Wodan
Banned
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Every modern vehicle on the planet has two brake systems!
Ha! Wouldn't know. Never had one. What year is classed as the start of the "modern" era? May be I did and didn't know.

How well do these modern Harley systems work feel? I remember some of the original ABS were a bit "pulse-y" when used.

Is the switch over noticeable? Does it ever interfere with normal riding? How long do they last without sevicing?

Last edited by Wodan; 12-13-2017 at 02:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Why not combine front and rear brake into one