Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change Brake Fluid Every 2 Years?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 10:01 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

You are also supposed to change brake lines every 4 years too. I think it's just to avoid a lawsuit. But those rubber lines suck anyway, braided lines the brake feel is way better.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:08 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
h y g r o s c o p i c
Correct!

Old 06-23-2017, 07:25 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I know of no one that changes it. I myself have only seen my fluid get black. I will admit that in my vehicle I have sucked the reservoir down with a turkey baster and put in new and again later until it stays pretty much clear. People think im **** for even doing that.
I have changed my clutch fluid only to have it turn grey again by the end of the day.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:53 AM
PPearl
Tourer
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
So when was the last time you changed brake fluid in you vehicle? Never right?
people get so Anil over their bikes it's down right rediciouls.
It's kind of a big deal if that ABS unit seizes and leaves you with a hard lever that won't depress. Now imagine losing your front breaks during a panic stop. Instead of your ABS firing, you have a lever you can't pull. Unlike your car or truck, when the ABS unit fails on your bike, your bike won't simply revert to an open system without ABS. Using a mighty vac, or traditional bleeding methods won't remove the fluid in the ABS unit which could be contaminated and possibly corroding the ABS unit.

The dealer I visit charges $100 front and rear to hook your bike to the digitech and properly change your brake fluid. Even if it's aggravating, it's worth it.

Call a spade a spade, this should be a recall.

Last edited by PPearl; 06-23-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:00 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
I know of no one that changes it. I myself have only seen my fluid get black. I will admit that in my vehicle I have sucked the reservoir down with a turkey baster and put in new and again later until it stays pretty much clear. People think im **** for even doing that.
I have changed my clutch fluid only to have it turn grey again by the end of the day.
Okee Dokee ...so here we go ... As stated, brake fluid is hygroscopic and by now you should know what that means ... water in the system is ... #1 corrosive ... #2 is heavier than the brake fluid ...#3 will not withstand the higher temperatures that the brake system encounters during repeated cycles ... in other words it can/will evaporate over a period of time ... which in essence induces air in the system resulting in a soft, low spongy pedal/lever. Over the years I've made more than a few dollars repairing/rebuilding hydraulic system ( especially on the older Corvettes ) . Do yourself ( and your scooter a favor ) and give it a little love a fresh clean dose of brake fluid. Your brake lights will even shine brighter ( JK )

Last edited by Uncle Larry; 06-23-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:37 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Maybe I don't understand brake systems, but I'll ask my question and post my thoughts at the risk of sounding ignorant.

Are hydraulic brake lines, seals and mechanical connections so porous that in two years brake fluid becomes contaminated to the point that it's unsafe? I'm a skeptic by nature, so I'm really having a hard time wrapping my brain around this, especially since I've owned four-wheeled vehicles for 5, 10 and more years and they have never had the brake fluid changed in any of them. In fact, I've never had a dealership or mechanic ever suggest it and from my research I found that Chevrolet (GM) says 150,000 miles or 10 years. Ford, Chrysler and Toyota don't even list brake fluid as a regular maintenance item.

I know there have been instances where H-D ABS systems have failed and that the NHTSA is looking into it. Of course, Harley claims the failures are a result of owners ignoring the brake fluid maintenance schedule, but I suspect the ABS modules are failing because of inferior components and not because of moisture contamination of the brake fluid. Now, they're sending notices to owners in an attempt to cover their butts. It's been almost a year and to my knowdge the NHTSA hasn't released their findings. What's taking so long? Are there back-room shenanigans going on and deals being made? Probably so because Harley doesn't want to recall 430,000 bikes.

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 06-23-2017 at 09:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lionsm13 (06-24-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 11:37 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry1834
Should do it every 10K or 2 years - type 4 sure can hold moister which can really screw your brakes up.
I saw every two years in the manual, nothing about every 10K. Where did the 10K come from? If it's really every 10K, which seems like overkill, then I should have had mine done 9 times in the last three years.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:48 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I wouldn't loose any sleep over it, I surely am not.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:59 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

The problem is the amount. How much fluid does a car used compared to a bikes brake system. Its such a small amount any moisture can cause problems.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:31 PM
Ex-Leftcoaster
Banned
Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

It's like milk. Once the expiration date is reached, the milk goes sour, no?

Quick Reply: Change Brake Fluid Every 2 Years?