Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another FI to Carb Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 11:45 PM
huntin_cowboy
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if my mileage will improve or not. I'm bored and stroked with a decent cam, head work, and some headers. Ran crazy good on MM when it worked right.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:29 PM
huntin_cowboy
4th Gear

Got it finished after my ignition came in yesterday. I'll be posting up some pictures of what I wound up doing with the gas tank as soon as I get some riding in

Old 07-29-2017, 01:58 PM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Is this what you ended up using ?
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/362-509

www.longrideshields.com

Old 07-31-2017, 11:02 AM
huntin_cowboy
4th Gear

Yes that is exactly what I used, although it was higher when I ordered it! It comes with a plug and a "bushing" that the pingel will thread onto.

Edit: I used the "kit" which comes with the plug and the adapter. Your link appears to only be the adapter. You will need both unless you have some sort of plug to fill the rear hole. I suspect if you knew the threads that it's a common size.

Last edited by huntin_cowboy; 07-31-2017 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Information
Old 07-31-2017, 11:26 AM
huntin_cowboy
4th Gear

For anyone who might wonder, this is what I used to complete the setup.

Carb: S&S Super G carb kit for '99 up. I got the best price on amazon (~475 which was almost 200 cheaper than most places) PN 11-0451

Ignition: Thunderheart standalone ignition PN EA5012

Pingel adapter kit PN 62052

Pingel Powerflo petcock PN 1311-AH

Besides that I ordered some deutsch plugs off of amazon for tapping into the factory harnesses and having a clean looking setup and I had to buy a set of bigger drill bits. I started as below.

1. Removing all of the old stuff related to fuel injection as well as the ECM & ECM harness.

2. Removing the gas tank and cleaning it to prepare for fuel line & bung removal. This included removing he fuel pump, cutting out the hard lines and drilling out the bungs in the bottom of the tank. I used a 9/16" and then 5/8" bit (both with tape around everything but the tip to keep from damaging the threads) to drill out the fittings. Just take it easy and go slow and it'll work out fine. This method left about an inch inside of the old fitting, but i figure that will have to work because i don't have any machine tools to be able to cut much better than that. I doubt it will be enough fuel to worry about.

3. Install all of the new wiring for the thunderheart BEFORE you put back on the tank. It's all easy to get to and complete while it's off. I was able to wire it into the main harness (8 plug deutsch) for power off the W/BLK wire that runs to the killswitch. For the ground I took one of the open pinholes on the deutsch plug and ran a ground wire to the frame for it. I ran the crank sensor plug down along the frame right where the factor harness went. The thunderheart unit is sitting below my seat behind the battery between the relays. I may have to move it, but my plugs will mean that is going to be easy peasy.

4. Install the carb and gas tank. You will need the factory flanges & bolts for the plenum as S&S does not supply them due to variations in flange design.

5. Fill her up and start.

I was able to retain the speedo, lights, turns, brakes, sending unit, and everything else but the oil pressure switch. I think I can keep it too, but it'll take another connector which I didn't have. It only took me an evening to do everything once I had the drillout completed. I had a "good" Magneti Marelli system but it doesn't compare to the carb. A clean tune (not dyno tune just drive and tune) has me making more power than my dyno tuned Marelli was. I'm real glad I made the choice to not buy another power commander because all that was wrong with my system was that the power commander decided to stop giving ignition. I'll post pictures later today if I can remember, but really there isn't much to "see". The drill out was the only part I was questioning, but it was pretty smooth sailing really. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

Last edited by huntin_cowboy; 07-31-2017 at 11:28 AM.