Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From Twinkie to M8 today...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 06:53 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,208 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Don't forget to return and post about how boring your 300 miles ride was because the bike just ran fine, no parts fell off and how it turned nicely.

Nice bike. After I recover from this house purchase, it will be time for my last new bike.

The following users liked this post:
Check6 (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 08:55 AM
Check6
Road Captain

Received 299 Likes on 140 Posts

Not 300 miles yet, but we did take it out for about 30 between storms last night. Owned an '03 Electra Glide for 4 years and 70k miles. No complaints on that one and my wife loved the Barco Lounger rear seat. She commented that this new one has even more room than the old E-Glide and especially the Road King. Of course, she's only 5' 2" and weighs 120. You'd think someone that small would be happy on the back of a sporty.

A couple additional observations:

Suspension - Far superior to the Road King. Nice and compliant, but still has road feedback.

Power - I may be one of the minority, but the power is okay. Nothing to brag about, but keep in mind I'm also used to 150 - 170 HP crotch rockets that weigh in around the 450 pound mark. Hard to be impressed by the M8 power, but no complaints. It is what it is, and I didn't buy it to flatten my eyeballs under acceleration. It's meant to cruise and does that quite well.

Engine noise - Again, probably in the minority here, but I kinda liked the rattlebangclank of the Road King. It let me know I was on a Harley!

All in all I really like the bike over the Road King and my previous 12 HD's. More refined, better weight distribution, better all around ride feel..

We plan on a couple hundred mile on it today. I'll report back with any additional observations I have.

Thanks for all positive comments!!

Check

Old 07-22-2017, 10:00 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Check6
Well,.. I woke up this morning and had a bright idea. It resulted in this...

Check6 (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 10:03 AM
dakotared
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice! Congrats.

Check6 (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 10:04 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,758 Likes on 6,896 Posts

Congratulations

Beautiful bike and great choice.

May you have many safe and enjoyable miles.

The Boom system can be a little hard to learn. But trust me you will and you will like it just like what your truck has.

Enjoy!

Check6 (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 05:08 PM
Check6
Road Captain

Okay, 200 miles 2-up today. A few updated impressions, but not a complete review because there's already a lot out there:

Better roll on performance than I initially thought. At interstate speeds when you want to get around someone you don't have to downshift and pin the throttle.

Great wind protection as compared to my older E-Glide and particularly the Road King. Those are the only two touring HD's I've owned prior to this one.

Much much better suspension than any HD I've ever ridden. In fact, it beats damn near anything I've ever owned. Can't think of a bike that's easier to ride.

Heat wasn't bad at all. We were out in temps ranging from mid 70's to 89. Didn't roast either one of us on this trip.

Good stereo, but I wear ear plugs, so I had to turn it up pretty loud. Not sure how I'm going to deal with that, but I honestly don't listen to music much when I ride.

All around best bike for it's designed purpose I'd say.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:49 PM
AFSOC_Commando
Tourer
Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

Sweet... appears you got the fastest black as well! "Black Quartz"

Have the same bike in the Low and love it!

I also agree, not super impressed with the power, but it does weigh twice as my Buell with the same power.. It does well for the size of the machine and it isn't a sport bike so I am fine....

Check6 (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 08:56 PM
Check6
Road Captain

Originally Posted by AFSOC_Commando
Sweet... appears you got the fastest black as well! "Black Quartz"

Have the same bike in the Low and love it!

I also agree, not super impressed with the power, but it does weigh twice as my Buell with the same power.. It does well for the size of the machine and it isn't a sport bike so I am fine....
Martinsburg. C-17? I was up there a couple years ago and closed down the C-5 operations on the simulator. I was the program manager for moving it out and sending it to DLA.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:05 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

[QUOTE=Check6;16455521]Not 300 miles yet, but we did take it out for about 30 between storms last night. Owned an '03 Electra Glide for 4 years and 70k miles. No complaints on that one and my wife loved the Barco Lounger rear seat. She commented that this new one has even more room than the old E-Glide and especially the Road King.

You can even move tour pack back little more and even have lot more room not that she needs it.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:07 PM
Check6
Road Captain

"You can even move tour pack back little more and even have lot more room not that she needs it"

Cool. I didn't know that. Thanks!

Quick Reply: From Twinkie to M8 today...