Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EZ Oil Drain valve

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:21 AM
Inop
Stellar HDF Member

Received 682 Likes on 292 Posts

Not to mention if it fails, guess whats behind it? your rear tire! 70 MPH on the freeway, no thanks.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:31 AM
Sturgis67
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
I think not. That thang vibrates open, it's lunchtime for the engine. Plus to me, it's the answer to a question never asked. What is easier than unscrewing a drain plug?

In short, the possibility that this trinket will fail is a lot higher than the OEM plug failing!

​​​​​​​But y'all go right on ahead. ..
Yup, agreed. One more example of someone creating a product, to fix a problem, that doesn't exist.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:34 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
I think not. That thang vibrates open, it's lunchtime for the engine. Plus to me, it's the answer to a question never asked. What is easier than unscrewing a drain plug?

In short, the possibility that this trinket will fail is a lot higher than the OEM plug failing!

​​​​​​​But y'all go right on ahead. ..
Gee thanks Veekness for giving us your permission.

After replacing the pan from stripping the thread at recommended torque specs, I like the idea. If the bottom of the valve is level with the bottom of the pan, I might give it a try. These valves have been out for at least 30years and I have never heard of a failure.

Beary

Old 08-01-2017, 09:45 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Frozen Excursion
I have one on my truck, the one I have is made by Fumoto I think. It works great, my only advice to you would be to put a zip tie on the valve when its closed. Just as a safety.

Dan
I have the fumoto valve on my truck as well. It really does cut time and mess significantly. Never used a zip tie on it and never an issue in 5 years.

I don't think I'd ever consider putting one on the bike though.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:17 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
Gee thanks Veekness for giving us your permission.

After replacing the pan from stripping the thread at recommended torque specs, I like the idea. If the bottom of the valve is level with the bottom of the pan, I might give it a try. These valves have been out for at least 30years and I have never heard of a failure.

Beary
...and you have my permission to do so, Beary...LOL...

Last edited by Veekness; 08-01-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:24 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Sturgis67
Yup, agreed. One more example of someone creating a product, to fix a problem, that doesn't exist.
This was my take on it. Someone marketed a solution to a problem I didn't have. Interesting. lol

Old 08-01-2017, 11:46 AM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,457 Likes on 1,694 Posts

I use a Fumoto, which is identical to the one linked, on my diesel pickup. Makes it very easy to pull a sample for analysis if I want. But I just can't feature needing one on my bike. And as previously mentioned, I wonder if the ones they sell for H-D application actually are made to seal like a factory plug or not?

Old 08-01-2017, 12:04 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,249 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Sturgis67
There are many applications where something like this to control and direct drain flow would be very beneficial. My truck for example, which otherwise drains its crankcase through the frame crossmember. Or pretty much any engine sitting over a pan or shield.

As for vibration concerns, a stock drain plug just snugged up without any safety wire to hold it in place is also quite capable of vibrating itself out. I've seen it happen more than once.

Is it something I'd want under my Harley? Probably not. It'd be very low to the ground, and facing forward could well catch on something with the way I tend to ride.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:09 PM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

As I said earlier , I've installed a lot on Big Trucks and my own p-u , put it on my 2 H-D 's --- no , not where the drain is

Old 08-01-2017, 12:13 PM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

It looks really cool and convenient but the fail to convenient ratio is to high.

Quick Reply: EZ Oil Drain valve