Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide front tire Ulta Limited

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 04:14 PM
LiquidMovz
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by matte
I just went with the native kit. They've been doing this the longest and have the best fender selection range.
@matte what wheel (Brand) did you go with?

Old 04-13-2019, 07:08 PM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 788 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidMovz
@matte what wheel (Brand) did you go with?
I can't tell you the brand. Ordered it through native. Just told them I wanted replica wheel in black.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:54 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Matte, bike looks fantastic!

Old 04-16-2019, 11:10 PM
rlh7677
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I found the Revtech wheel that I have on eBay and they seem to have them listed lately. I got the hub from JPCycles, most modular wheels are the same bolt patterns for the hubs. I also found it hard to find info but discovered that it's not a mystery and easier than I thought to do the conversion. I also used Revtech rotors to match the wheel but a floating rotor will not pulsate as much. Mine is a 2012, you may have more trouble finding parts for a 16'. Hope that helps a little, any more questions I'll be glad to answer. Good luck

Old 04-16-2019, 11:15 PM
rlh7677
Tourer

The Avon tire is about 3/8" narrower than the forks so no machining required on a 2012, but I helped someone with a 14 and he also did no machining.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:27 PM
LiquidMovz
Advanced

@rlh7677 Thanks for the response!

I may have found my wheel, a Revtech, It's a 16 x 5 and I am planning on running a Avon 180 70R16 Cobra on it matching what @Milty did on his...I want more meat than steel...and he seems real happy with his set up, he and I connected (on this and a TON of other things) and he gave me a ton of info! Good Guy!

I am felling like I am stuck going with a Revtech or Performance Machine Wheel, knowing that I can get the front hub to work...If I knew I could get away with making a Revtech Hub match up to the the Foose Nitrous 3D Rear Wheel, I would go after, that I think I might grab for a HECK of a deal...but the uncertainty (translate lack of knowledge and understanding) has me shying away from going that route.

I am planing to get my fender from the Led Sled guys, Like I think you did, and powder coating that with a stretched Ness tank and SG Rear Fender...

@rlh7677 are you happy with the fender?

Old 04-17-2019, 05:31 PM
LiquidMovz
Advanced

Originally Posted by rlh7677
The Avon tire is about 3/8" narrower than the forks so no machining required on a 2012, but I helped someone with a 14 and he also did no machining.
@rlh7677 Oh and I was planning on having the Fork Lowers Machined (for the fender) and Powder Coated...but you are saying that the guy with a 14 didn't need to do that?

Or just didn't need to do it for the purposes of tire clearance?

Did he get a fender to fit as well with no machining?

Can you clarify?

LMK,

Last edited by LiquidMovz; 04-17-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:29 PM
rlh7677
Tourer

LiquidMovz, everything depends on how wide your tire is that you are using compared to the distance between your forks. Measure the distance between your fork tubes, if the width of the tire you are using is at least 1/4" narrower you don't have to machine your forks. You will have an 1/8" clearance on each side, doesn't seem like much but you can mount your tire and do a mock up by sliding the wheel and tire up in place and slide your axle through with the spacers in place. If you are satisfied with the clearance then all is good, if you have to grind and 1/8" off of your fork tubes you will still be good. I went with an Avon Cobra 180/55/18/for first tire, had about 3/16" each side, second tire and current is 180/55/18 Elite 3 which is narrower, have about 1/4 each side. So the two measurements that are important are the width of the tire you will use and your between fork tubes clearance. I ordered an 8" rear fender cut to a wrap design, I'm not familiar with how the 14+ bikes mount the front fender, if the tabs where the fender mounts lets the fender tuck back out of the way of the tire you are good, if they extend beyond the fork tube then they may interfere with the tire.It's all basic space management , lol ! The outside dimension of your fender has to fit inside the tab-to-tab dimension between your forks at the same time providing enough room for your tire. Hope all that doesn't sound confusing but when you figure it out it is easy to understand. Keep me posted on your progress and I'll try to answer any questions, it's all just space and math !

Last edited by rlh7677; 04-17-2019 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-17-2019, 07:44 PM
LiquidMovz
Advanced

@rlh7677 Thanks a Million!!!

That's REALLY good information! I will keep you posted on progress...I have the fever to do this ASAP...and am starting to see how to logistically proceed...

The following users liked this post:
rlh7677 (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 07:46 PM
rlh7677
Tourer

Very happy with the fender but remember you will have to fit it to the bike, it doesn't come pre-drilled. the way you do that is, cut the slots on each side of the fender, I started with 1 1/4" wide and grinded til it fit correctly between the forks. Then side the fender up between the forks and clamp, then slide the wheel & tire up and install axle and spacers , center wheel & tire assembly. Place a spacer between your tire and fender the thickness you would like between the two, I did 3/8". Then check all corners plus front and rear to make sure all are equal then mark fender to drill. Then put it all back together to make sure all fits. You will also need to grind (smooth) the roll marks in the fender and maybe even some body filler to get a perfectly smooth finish. Then cut each fork can 1" high on the inside to keep the fender from touching it.

Last edited by rlh7677; 04-17-2019 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Wide front tire Ulta Limited