Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About Bagger Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 08:05 PM
sel53
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Question About Bagger Wobble

My bike has always had a minor case of bagger wobble in turns at speed, but I had a different experience today.

I hit a very sharp bump entering a turn, maybe 50 mph. Instant massive wobble, persistent (I couldn't straighten up and slow down), I had to just ride it through, gently keep it on the road, and hope it didn't get worse.

The wierd part was, it felt like the rear end was a pogo stick too. I honestly have never felt the rear end jacking on any wobble before. I was wishing I could crank the rebound damping up a million percent (shocks are good shape Ohlins).

In you guys experience, is the rear end up/down effect consistent with the famed bagger wobble? I've just never noticed it quite like that, even on my flex-frame Kawa 750.

This is the first time I have considered a TruTrack, etc.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:27 PM
Blowby
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 70 Posts

I had the same problem and was all over the board trying to check alignment, wheel bearings, steering head bearings, swing arm bushings, engine and wheel alignment and so on. One April two years ago I was walking the Laughlin River Run vendor section, early morning, the day before the event officially started. Well I saw the booth and talked to the TrueTrack developer while he was setting up and he shed some light on my problem.

Long story short he said 90 day money back, free installation and if you pull the bike in he'll install it right now. Holy $h!t all my wobble was eliminated. Now the only problem from this add-on device is I'm riding too fast through high speed corners since I completely forgot the wobble ever existed.

The following users liked this post:
twinchrome (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 10:59 PM
ricktherocket
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sel53
My bike has always had a minor case of bagger wobble in turns at speed, but I had a different experience today.

I hit a very sharp bump entering a turn, maybe 50 mph. Instant massive wobble, persistent (I couldn't straighten up and slow down), I had to just ride it through, gently keep it on the road, and hope it didn't get worse.

The wierd part was, it felt like the rear end was a pogo stick too. I honestly have never felt the rear end jacking on any wobble before. I was wishing I could crank the rebound damping up a million percent (shocks are good shape Ohlins).

In you guys experience, is the rear end up/down effect consistent with the famed bagger wobble? I've just never noticed it quite like that, even on my flex-frame Kawa 750.

I installed a Progressive Tour Link on my Ultra a couple years ago and haven't had the wobble since.
http://www.progressivesuspension.com...4/touring-link

The following users liked this post:
twinchrome (03-12-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 04:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

There is a long-running thread on this very subject, right here, explaining what the cause is. A True-Track kit would be a wise choice, however do make sure everything else around your bike is in top shape, including tyre tread and pressures.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:29 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
There is a long-running thread on this very subject, right here, explaining what the cause is. A True-Track kit would be a wise choice, however do make sure everything else around your bike is in top shape, including tyre tread and pressures.
edit - oops, never mind, 2010.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:54 PM
sel53
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks, G, I've read your fine expose a few times over the years.

The thing I found unusual, compared to any wobble I've experienced before, was the vertical motion. I guess it could be because the bump threw it up hard enough to start with, and that exacerbated the wobble while the vertical motion damped (pogo from the bump, wobble because I was in a turn tweeking the rubber mounts).

I take it you still like the true-track the best?

Old 03-13-2017, 07:03 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

There must be something else going on.

I have a 2013 road glide, really the same frame suspension, etc as you have, and I've never experienced anything like this. 50mph, 80+mph, nothing.

I think this whole wobble thing has been mythologized over the years so much that everyone , even post 2009, thinks they have bagger wobble.

Not saying it has been completely cured, but at some point you just have to say its riding characteristics. 2009+ bikes have improvements such that very few people will in actuality have anything remotely dangerous. If you have a serious problem I would consider diagnosing it vs buying a product which will likely mask the problem, not truly fix it.

Last edited by Keithhu; 03-13-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:10 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,755 Likes on 6,896 Posts

Yeah I had a slight case of it with a 2008 FLHX. NEVER anything at all with by 2010 Ultra. Like the post above I thought it was cured with the 09 and up frames?

I would say you definately have a more serious problem there.

I would probably start with a really good dealer inspection especially the rear components.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:22 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

You have a mechanical issue with suspension/perhaps tires. The talked to death bagger wobble is not going to cause you to become unstable at 50 mph but a bump can get your bike unstable if you have an issue. Were your handlebars shaking violently till you slowed down?

Old 03-13-2017, 07:33 PM
diggerv
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I had the wobble. But because I made changes to the front and rear suspension and add an Elite 3s. The front tire profile is much flatter than stock or other tires.

So, I put the True Track on her and that fixed it. Sense then I went back to stock tires and better suspension, but kept the True Track on her. It handles the best it ever has now.

Quick Reply: Question About Bagger Wobble