Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Road King No Spark (Coil is Good)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 02:25 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Default 2000 Road King No Spark (Coil is Good)

Hello, I've got a 2000 Road King fuel injected with a no spark issue. I tested the coil and it was good. Bike cranks over easily but getting no spark to the plugs. I did some reading and found people with similar issues had a band Crank Position Sensor. Just curious what you guys think?

Also, all areas were showing clear when I attempted to pull any codes.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by lhgdale; 01-07-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:15 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Possible Bank Angle Sensor.
In 1999 there was a bracket that was defective.
Caused sensor to think bike was on it side....killed motor.
From memory..i believe the unit would ground and cut power thinking bike was on its side...a shade tree mechanic test was a disconnect of the plug at sensor and that would allow the bike to run minus the safety feature.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:31 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Make sure you have a strong battery. It comes to a point where starter pulls everything and ignition gets nothing with a weak battery. This is also where you start to burn up your starter.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:59 PM
Hawk66
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had this happen on a 02 Ultra. checked everything but ended up being a $13 system relay

Old 01-07-2018, 05:11 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the info guys!

The owner did lay it down in a ditch a few months ago and bent the crash bar. I will check all the suggested items. Everything else on the bike works as it should just no spark. He did say it started after the wreck but then quit.

Thanks again!!

Old 01-07-2018, 05:40 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

How did you verify no spark? I have never had to do it, but others say when the plugs are removed and one isn't grounded, the other won't fire, so it appears there is no spark. With the plugs installed and connected, squirting a little fuel past the throttle plate and cranking will usually get a couple of "pops" if the plugs are firing. If that happens, it is really a fuel problem. The same test and no "pops" and is is indeed ignition. I believe the system relay and the brake relay are the same and can be interchanged as a trouble shooting step to see if the system relay has a problem.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:07 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by btsom
How did you verify no spark? I have never had to do it, but others say when the plugs are removed and one isn't grounded, the other won't fire, so it appears there is no spark. With the plugs installed and connected, squirting a little fuel past the throttle plate and cranking will usually get a couple of "pops" if the plugs are firing. If that happens, it is really a fuel problem. The same test and no "pops" and is is indeed ignition. I believe the system relay and the brake relay are the same and can be interchanged as a trouble shooting step to see if the system relay has a problem.
First think I did was squirt some starting fluid in the throttle body. It didn't even hickup. I grounded the plugs to check for spark. I tried different plug wires, plugs and nothing. I went to another bike I have, tried the same method and got plenty of spark. I'm going to do some trouble shooting tomorrow with the relays and bank angle sensor. Bike was running fine before he laid it down.

Thanks

Old 01-08-2018, 09:41 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

First thing to do is to make sure the battery is good. Have it load tested at the local auto parts store. Then pull any trouble codes. Then check relays, and fuses. Next pull the fuel tuner out of line if it has one, and see if it will fire when connected directly to the ECM. If there is still no joy it will be a process of chasing down the bad sensor. Not sure about the 2000 models, but the 1998 FSM has a complete EFI diagnostic flow chart.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:54 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Well..... I swapped all the relays and bank angle sensor with ones I know are good (off a running bike) and still no spark to the plugs. The bike is still not showing any error codes. I guess the step is crank position sensor and cam sensor.

Also, I hook a jump box to the battery each time I crank over the engine to make sure there is enough power.

Last edited by lhgdale; 01-08-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:41 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Check the cable connection at the computer box.
I will guess that you took all fuses out one by one and reviewed the fuses.
I will also guess there is no security system added that would turn power to the coil off.

Quick Reply: 2000 Road King No Spark (Coil is Good)