Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Tour Pak on 2010 Street Glide wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 07:47 PM
HubBub
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 2005 Tour Pak on 2010 Street Glide wiring questions

I've searched and searched and found a lot of info, just not an answer to this particular question. I have a 2005 tour pak I want to mount on my 2010 Street Glide. I know I will need to redrill mounting holes, no problem. My question is about wiring. Specifically wiring for the lighting. I've read different threads that say that a lot of the touring bikes have the preexisting plug to connect to a tour pak. I have my seat off and see nothing. I haven't pulled the left side cover yet to look there. Should my 2010 Street Glide have a plug already?

If my bike does have a plug and presumably a harness available from Harley to connect to the tour pak, is the plug within the tour pak for the lighting the same for early and late tour paks? I can take a picture of the plug within the tour pak and add it if that helps.

If there is NOT a preexisting plug on the bike to connect wiring can I simply piggy back the turn, brake and running light wires off the wires already running to the rear of the bike?

The tour pack has speakers as well but I plan on using aftermarket speakers and already have an aftermarket radio so I can deal with a plug for that. Is there a way to retain the tour pak mounted volume control with an aftermarket stereo and speakers?

Sorry in advance for all the questions, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:12 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

Under the primary side plastic cover is wiring for the tourpak. It is usually zip tied up unless someone has been in it before hand.

it is long enough to extend back to interface with the tour pak wiring which should come out of the tour pak on the same side thru a hole with a rubber gromet in it.

to my knowledge the plug has not changed. My tour pak which is a 04 model, plugged directly into my 2010 ROADGLIDE.

you will need to relocate your antenna other than that is would be low key.

I know Nothing about making the rear speakers work, as I do not use them.

Last edited by bigskyroadglide; 01-10-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:27 PM
HubBub
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyroadglide
Under the primary side plastic cover is wiring for the tourpak. It is usually zip tied up unless someone has been in it before hand.

it is long enough to extend back to interface with the tour pak wiring which should come out of the tour pak on the same side thru a hole with a rubber gromet in it.

to my knowledge the plug has not changed. My tour pak which is a 04 model, plugged directly into my 2010 ROADGLIDE.

you will need to relocate your antenna other than that is would be low key.

I know Nothing about making the rear speakers work, as I do not use them.
Thanks for the response. I didn't even think to look in the FSM. It does show a three wire plug on the FLHX. Looks like black, red/yellow and blue wires. Those match the wire colors on the plug in the tour pak but the harness is real short and doesn't extend outside the tour pak so I suspect I'm missing a sub harness of some sort. Thanks again, can't wait to get it mounted and wired up.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Wink

I have an older Glide with a mis-matched tourpak. What I did was to use a twist-lock electrical connector, fasten the panel version male into the floor of my tourpak and swap the bike harness connector for the twist-lock one. Final result is no external wires hanging from the tourpak and a simple twist of the connector to disconnect/reconnect.

Just a thought, especially if you hit a snag sorting the wiring out. If you have any LED lights in your tp, the polarity has to be correct for them to work - something I learned the hard way!

I've just discovered that 'twist-lock' is a brand name in the USA, but there are other brands of quick release electrical connectors that twist together in a similar way. I use a four-pole one, although only used three of them (for ground, lights, brake).