Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Road King CVO wanders on freeway rain grooves. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 05:43 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,006 Likes on 1,999 Posts

I'm looking for tires now...it's a pretty tough fit so far...seems that this bike has some uncommon sized tires. Very few that Ive found that I can get the same brand tire front and rear. If anyone has any ideas I'm open to suggestions, other than the dunlops I have because they're terrible in the rain

Old 01-19-2018, 06:14 PM
Tube Guy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
I'm looking for tires now...it's a pretty tough fit so far...seems that this bike has some uncommon sized tires. Very few that Ive found that I can get the same brand tire front and rear. If anyone has any ideas I'm open to suggestions, other than the dunlops I have because they're terrible in the rain
If you have a Road King CVO like I do I found the Pirelli Night Dragon to handle superb. But man on the freeway it wandered. Just got the Avon AV65 and AV71 but too early to report. It wanders just as bad on rain grooves. I hope the handling is as good as the Pirellis....or better.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:05 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Get rid of that stock front tire or both. I had the same issues, I call them "seam seekers."
yep, it’s a tires problem. New tires or a newer bike, 09 or better.
Beary

Old 01-20-2018, 01:26 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
It would help to state your sizes. Expecting people in here to look up YOUR BIKE for tire size and then make recommendations is a bit of a stretch. Or, did I miss that earlier?

Old 01-20-2018, 09:47 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

2 different sets of tires and same problem.dont know your mileage, but you may have worn rear suspension parts and alignment that needs to be corrected.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:40 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,249 Likes on 6,009 Posts

something I noticed years ago... the stock Dunlop tires on my Sporty had the center groove.... I found this to track the rain grooves or other road imperfections. I put on Metzler and they had, basically, smooth tire (no center groove) and that made all the difference in the world. Now my Street Glide has the Dunlop American Elite and these have no center groove. No tracking. I believe the center tread/groove will track imperfections.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:01 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Like mentioned, avoid the grooves. What would one expect on 2 wheels?

Old 01-21-2018, 12:38 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by oldhippie
How many miles on this bike? Front fork oil ever been changed? Also rear swingarm bearings may need replacing over 50K miles. I got to 63K and found these had needed replacing long before that.

The stock Dunlops to track nice in the straight line on the highway, but those other tires ought to be okay too.

Just some possible items that might affect the handling.

I suggest this advice is on target. Rear swing arm bushings, replace with bearings, front motor mount, fork oil, replace with monotubes.

problems will significantly decline

Old 02-18-2018, 04:45 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,006 Likes on 1,999 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
It would help to state your sizes. Expecting people in here to look up YOUR BIKE for tire size and then make recommendations is a bit of a stretch. Or, did I miss that earlier?
you didn't miss it , I didn't list them on my post but the op has the same bike and he listed the sizes but unless you read every post you could easily miss that info. The front is 130/70r18 and the rear is a 170/60r17...I've found Metzlers. .an 888 for the front and an 880 for the rear. There are very few choices especially if you want the same brand and model front and back. I was getting ready to buy those and then I started doing more research and stumbled back to this thread...I think I spent less time researching the last house I bought lol

Old 02-18-2018, 05:02 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

An alternative brand is Avon Storm, I have the same size front as you and a 160/70 XM on my old Glide.

Quick Reply: 2008 Road King CVO wanders on freeway rain grooves. Advice?