Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handle Bars do Slow shimmy help

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 04:42 PM
john510
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handle Bars do Slow shimmy help

Hi All,
Can anyone help me with this problem. I have a '05 road glide, 8k on the odometer. Not a lot of extra equipment on it. No tour pak.

The problem is that the bike recently started a "slow" front end shimmy. It doesn't happen at any particular speed but most likely around 55 to 60 mph.Sometimes it doesnt happen at all. It is like the handle bars move slowly from left to right. It will also happen during deceleration or when coming to a stop sign but not just when braking. I have checked the the tire pressure, they were a little low, I have them right at spec now and it helped a little but it is still there. I haven't hit anything, I put the bike on a lift and there is nothing wrong with the tires. There is no apparent wobble in the wheel, I checked the wheel andaxel nuts, everything tight.

Any Ideas, I'm not much of a bike mechanic but I can handle some basic stuff.

Thanks much.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:17 PM
dionne51
Road Captain
Default RE: Handle Bars do Slow shimmy help

I'm no expert here but it could be a loose or partially worn steering head bearing, this could allow for wobble or play in the front end.

D

Old 06-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Freedom
Advanced

Same thing happened on my '68 hog. The steering head bearing needs more "preload" Just tighten it up.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:31 PM
ride05
Novice

Yeah I have an 05 FLHTCU and it sharted this at 22,000 klms. I have changed tyres, rims, had the front fork oil changed steering head bearings adjusted (too tight and nearly killed myself because it still wobbles but it would not self steer/centre and drive out of it). Now I have new fork iternals and all this did not fix it, I am thinking its the rear moving trasfering if to the front when I power off or brake. Am looking at a true track or get dealer to do rear bushes under warranty. I hope your's is just a tyre wearing funny or balance but it could be from wear in the rear swingarm. Best of luck, I,m nearly out of money andenergy.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dionne51

I'm no expert here but it could be a loose or partially worn steering head bearing, this could allow for wobble or play in the front end.

D
I had this problem a year back.Dropped it of at the dealer one morning and picked it up that evening and it was fixed.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:49 PM
BIGCHIEF
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you still have time...sounds like a dealer could fix it quickly. Motor mount? Cupping in the tires?

Old 06-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Harley Rulz

ORIGINAL: dionne51

D
I had this problem a year back.Dropped it of at the dealer one morning and picked it up that evening and it was fixed.
Would you kindly ask them to recall your service log and relay to us what they did to fix your bike? Don't leave us hanging for Heaven's sake!

Old 06-18-2007, 09:56 PM
john510
Novice

Thanks to everyone who helped me on this so quickly. I really appreciate it. Yea, I have about a month left on the warranty and it's going back to the dealer. This is starting to scare me a bit....I have to get it fixed. Thanks again. I guess this is one of the benefits of being a Harley owner ...and having support from folks like all of you.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Let us know how it turns out and the method of repair........mine seems a tiny bit "wiggly" going straight at times. I too have proper pressures, even unloaded the bags. Took it to the dealer, two trusted techs rode it, checked it over. Steering head bearing is a smidgeon tight, but both thought it was "the loose nut behind the handlebar".......meaning it is in my head. I think the head bearing might just well be worn......over 29K on the clock.....but serviced by the book.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get that every now and then. It tells me it's time to put some air in the rear shocks. Mine are old and leak somewhat. If I didn't weigh so much probably would be a non issue but........... I do so I add some air, just a thought for you.

Quick Reply: Handle Bars do Slow shimmy help