Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 11:55 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,103 Likes on 1,915 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
So then, it sounds like an opportunity. My bikes clearly stated the recommended tires for each bike.

Just because a tire is DOT compliant, doesn’t mean it’s the right tire for the the application.
HMMMM, how do all the guys running oversized (not recommended size) tires get away with it?

Old 04-02-2018, 01:25 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Totally get that.
I am not some cheerleader for car tires on motor-sickles. Never ran one, not planning too.
All I am asking for is that someone somewhere, show me SOME evidence that insurance coverage was denied due to the type of rear tire that was installed. Because I simply think it does NOT exist. I just want the plethora of misinformation to stop.
You could also ask them to find you a documented example of a car tire failing under "normal" use on a motorcycle. You would think that if a car tire came off the rim or disintegrated at speed the cops or the NHTSA would have noted that somewhere. Amazingly enough all the "it will never fly" bunch never seem to do that. I wonder why...

The answer is they don't need proof, they just "know in their hearts" it does not work and will not be covered by insurance companies. Why, if you were really such a hot shot lawyer you would "know" it too without asking to see proof....

Old 04-02-2018, 06:00 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey car tire aficionados, why don't you post in your dedicated forum rather than here?

Here's the link:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-dark-side-167/

Old 04-02-2018, 07:35 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,252 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Hey car tire aficionados, why don't you post in your dedicated forum rather than here?
Because the op asked a question here. He got some straight up answers to his question.

But, it only took four posts for a nay sayer to come in throwing poo. The folk who hate and fear car tires and the people who use them continued the downward spiral.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:57 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,741 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Totally get that.
I am not some cheerleader for car tires on motor-sickles. Never ran one, not planning too.
All I am asking for is that someone somewhere, show me SOME evidence that insurance coverage was denied due to the type of rear tire that was installed. Because I simply think it does NOT exist. I just want the plethora of misinformation to stop.

Theres a paragraph there about what an insurance company was quoted as saying. Maybe you've seen it before?
http://trafficsafe.org/index.php/tra...ark-side-1683/

Last edited by hellonewman; 04-02-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:19 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,252 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Theres a paragraph there about what an insurance company was quoted as saying. Maybe you've seen it before?
http://trafficsafe.org/index.php/tra...ark-side-1683/
That's a fun one to start with!

They claim the Michelin Primacy Alpine PA3 ZP is over inflated to 40 psi. Honda specs 41 psi for the rear tire of s 2012 gold wing. Michelin gives a maximum pressure of 51 psi.

So in no way is the tire over inflated at 40 psi.

Did trafficsafe deliberately lie, or are they simply incompetent? That is indeterminate.

They also state a flat tire at 40 psi would be extremely dangerous. This is true. But their implication that it would be worse because of the false "over inflation" is deliberately inflammatory and deceptive.

The Michelin Primacy Alpine PA3 ZP is a run flat tire. It is specifically designed to not come off the rim from s puncture, nor will the sidewalk collapse under the weight of the vehicle. Something that cannot be said about the "proper" motorcycle tire.

So when looked at with facts, their claim is backwards. The Michelin Primacy Alpine PA3 ZP is in fact far safer in a blowout than a motorcycle tire.

Again we are left with the question of did trafficsafe deliberately lie or are they just grossly incompetent?

They were completely unable to find any insurance company in the USA that would tell them an insurance claim could or would be denied because of a tire type.

Of course that is not how trafficsafe presented it, but in fact that is the reality.

The best that they could get was an unknown representative from an unspecified insurance company in the U.K. postulating a claim could be denied there....maybe.

Not exactly a glowing warning of doom upon reflection and with just a little research.

Last edited by foxtrapper; 04-02-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:52 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm curious. For those of us that ride dark, why? Why do you choose to put a car tire on a motorcycle? Is it all about tire life and cost or is there something else?

Old 04-02-2018, 10:12 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,288 Likes on 11,148 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
HMMMM, how do all the guys running oversized (not recommended size) tires get away with it?
You could put a skinny front tire on the rear, and it would be DOT compliant.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:15 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,118 Likes on 8,925 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker

Here's the link:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-dark-side-167/
Because then us LightSiders can’t ridicule them ....

Originally Posted by jefla
I'm curious. For those of us that ride dark, why? Why do you choose to put a car tire on a motorcycle? Is it all about tire life and cost or is there something else?
Because their cheap ...... which goes back to my answer to FrenchBiker, doesn’t it.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:23 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,288 Likes on 11,148 Posts

I think we scared off the OP.

Quick Reply: Car tires