Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer, Turn Signals, Horn, Cruise all down. - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 11:21 PM
cgrafton
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Speedometer, Turn Signals, Horn, Cruise all down. - Please help!

Bike is a 2007 FLHTCU with 35,xxx miles on it. No modifications besides new bars (no wire extension) and a replacement horn. This problem will be the death of me, it's been a long process and I feel like I am going nowhere.

First things first, on a great ride, notice turn signals don't work, horn doesn't work and cruise control won't work. Speedometer still working at this point. Fuses blow, replace, last awhile and then blow again.

Long story short, discovered that everyone usually points to VSS as the problem, switched it out, nothing has changed and now my speedometer isn't picking up speed. It still goes from 120 to 0 when I put it in DIAG but won't register when I'm riding. Odometer and light still working though. Fuses still lasting for a slight bit and then blowing. I pulled the fairing and looked at the harness/plug for the speedometer, everything checked out with a power probe. I put new bars on the bike after all of these issues started, I didn't like the bars on the bike and decided that if I was going to tear into it to trouble shoot my problem, I might as well switch the bars out. The bars that were on were outrageously tall ape hangers so I did not need to extend the wiring or anything like that.

I want to warn you, I know very little about electrical. I just now decided to check the wiring. (I know! I should have done that first but I'm lost when it comes to electricity.)

Without further to do, when I checked the wiring going to the VSS, I have a ground, a no-reading (read that that can be the "sending" wire) and 4.5vs on the "positive?" I am very confused, did I just find my problem, or is the system only supposed to get 4.5v at the VSS. I have the Clymer manual for my bike but when it comes to the nitty gritty like voltage values, it leaves a lot to be desired.

To compound the frustration, I see on this thread that this problem is somewhat common however it seems like no one has be able to reply with a fix that works on my bike. I'm hoping that I am not supposed to be getting 4.5v at the VSS and I just found my problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:25 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

What kind of replacement horn?
Reason: some horns are high load and require a relay or the horn switch can become damaged and blow a fuse when used.
When you state "Odometer and light still working".
Does that mean that odometer mileage is recording the exact distance traveled?
To clarify: if you travel 2 miles, the odometer will record that 2 miles have been traveled.
The vehicle speed sensor uses 5 volts as the trigger voltage in some model years.
Many wire problems on a FLHTCU are related to wire loom at neck frame. Most times a short will be discovered when bars are turned to one side.
Another common spot for a short circuit might be underside of rear fender if it was lowered at rear and tire scrubbed against wire loom on underside top of rear fender.
Just because the handlebar wiring was done before does not mean it is OK.
You know what fuse blew so you know the circuit that requires review.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:34 AM
cgrafton
6th Gear

The horn is a Kuryakyn Wolo Bad Boy.

I will check those spots, the fuse that keeps blowing is the 15A ACC. Also noticed that the brake lights do not illuminate when I pull the front brake handle or press the rear brake pedal. The running light is illuminated on the brake light however.

I will test the odometer again, it is telling me miles but i will try riding a mile and see if the mileage reflects accordingly.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:09 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

IM has a good point …. the horn might be drawing to much power and blowing the ACC fuse. Try disconnecting the horn and see if the fuse blows. On many bikes, the ACC fuse will power the Speedometer, turn signals, horn, & brake light. Without looking at a wiring diagram for your bike, I can't be sure if the Cruise is also on that fuse.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:12 PM
cgrafton
6th Gear

I pulled the plugs off the horn, once I get the bike put back together I’ll ride around and see if the fuses stop blowing.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:26 PM
wmprof
Road Master
Received 1,262 Likes on 433 Posts

Same issue on my 2001 Heritage. I'll be interested to see what you find. Thanks!

Old 05-27-2018, 07:22 PM
cgrafton
6th Gear

Thinking back, i had to leave my bike outside in the rain one time and now that I’m racking my head about anything and everything, i realize that the left hand control had only 1 of the 2 screws in it that is supposed to be holding it together. I was curious to see if maybe water got in there and mucked things up. I took apart my hand controls and when I was inspecting the left side, I found quite a bit of (corrosion?) inside? I’m curious if this could lead to issues that I’m experiencing, especially since it’s on one of the components that my ACC wire (orange/white) is running to.

Last edited by cgrafton; 05-27-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:07 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I read this quick, so probaly wrong. My 07, and I don't think anything unique to 07, had intermittent lights, from bad plug under fairing. Dealer tywrapped under warranty. I never made it back to have the plug replaced.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:08 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Unlikely the problem is your VSS. You noted the bars were changed out. So, specifically ... what fuse or fuses are blowing?

Old 05-27-2018, 09:18 PM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts

I'll bet you've got a pinched wire in the left side switchpack, causing a short.

GM

Quick Reply: Speedometer, Turn Signals, Horn, Cruise all down. - Please help!