Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered Freedom Shield and Long Ride Shield to try out on 2018 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 12:20 PM
Mountainhunter76
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ordered Freedom Shield and Long Ride Shield to try out on 2018 Street Glide

I ordered 3 different shields to try out on my 2018 Street Glide. An 8" Freedom Shield and a 7" and 8" LRS Ultra Recurve.
I like the Freedom, but it is much lighter tint that my fairing mounted deflectors (and that bothers me for some reason). Buffeting is eliminated with this shield. Other than the tint being too light, the only other problem I have with this shield is it's so thick it creates a gap at the corners of my fairing where the seam where outer fairing and the instrument bezel meet up at the windshield.
I just got the LRS both in yesterday and tried the 7". I tried to mount it with the plastic on it as they instruct but it wouldn't slip in between the fairing and around the 3 windshield lugs (it was wrapped with 2-3 layers of sticky plastic wrap) so I took off the plastic wrap. The holes in the bottom of the shield are off. They are not milled correctly or the shield is the incorrect shield altogether. Either way, it's a no-go and it looks like LRS probably won't take it back now that I removed the plastic wrap. I rechecked my invoice and I ordered and paid for the correct shields. The 8" shield doesn't even have plastic wrap on it, it was shipped in a loose fitting plastic bag. How in the hell am I supposed to check fitment with that??? I didn't even try to mount the 8" LRS Shield, I think I will just return it.
Anyone have another windshield suggestion?

Old 06-02-2018, 12:33 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

I have used both LRS and Freedom. In my opinion Freedom was a better shield.

The following users liked this post:
troopin (04-30-2019)
Old 06-02-2018, 08:52 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 215 Posts

Shoot LRS and email or a call, they will take care of you. My guess is they shipped out shields for the wrong year bike model.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:13 AM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

I don't own a Street Glide but they have the same fairing as my Ultra. I have a LRS in medium tint on it and couldn't be more satisfied. I suspect you have a shield for a different year model bike. Give LRS a call, explain whats wrong and I'll bet they will fix you up.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:30 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I owned them all and the ones I prefer are made by Klock Werks. More expensive but better quality. Not everyone likes their looks but they really deflect air. FWIW.

The following users liked this post:
FNGonaRK (04-26-2019)
Old 06-03-2018, 07:59 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 999 Likes on 594 Posts

Sounds normal for LRS.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:32 AM
Skrimps
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
I owned them all and the ones I prefer are made by Klock Werks. More expensive but better quality. Not everyone likes their looks but they really deflect air. FWIW.
Just ordered an 8.5" Klock Werks Flare for my new to me 2016 Street Glide. Really hoping it works out. I have had LRS shields in the past and they always worked good. This time I was deciding between Freedom and KW and decided to try the KW. However if the KW doesn't work out I am def. going to try the Freedom shield.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:31 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Skrimps
Just ordered an 8.5" Klock Werks Flare for my new to me 2016 Street Glide. Really hoping it works out. I have had LRS shields in the past and they always worked good. This time I was deciding between Freedom and KW and decided to try the KW. However if the KW doesn't work out I am def. going to try the Freedom shield.
I have the 8.5" KW in dark tint and it's the best shield I've ever used.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:35 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Sounds normal for LRS.
I wouldn’t go that far. I’ve had no issues, same as many, many others. As was said OP, email LRS about what’s happening. As far as fitment, you didn’t need to pull the plastic wrap all the way off. You could have just pulled it up past the mounting holes far enough to install it.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 06-03-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:50 AM
Mountainhunter76
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pulling the plastic wrap off completely made no difference in condition of the shield in regards to simply trying to mount it. Obviously, I never even got it out on the road because it doesn't fit.

Quick Reply: Ordered Freedom Shield and Long Ride Shield to try out on 2018 Street Glide