Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Street Glide limped at the entrance to Devil's Tower during Sturgis rally

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 11:46 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by CndUltra95
No need to apologize for your inner voice being vocal.
As has been mentioned schitz happens and when it happens to one of us it is the worst possible time ever.
I recently bought a 2011 RoadGlide Ultra with 31k on the clock, three days later go to fire it up cold and she is showing a C/E light and in limp mode.
Run upstairs and get a code reader I bought (harley brand) and connected to the data port with 9 current codes (dont recall all) .
All where historic and boy was I choked ..anyways, flashed the bike up and she ran normal.
Cleared the codes with the orange lil box and went on a450 mile ride that day.
Two weeks later limp mode crossing 6 lanes of a busy hwy and suddenly in limp mode and I barely made it through the light change.
Shut bike down , scratched my head stripped the ridding gear down and pondered a few.
Turned ignition to on and she flashed up like a champ.
Rode home connected scanner and found 5 more historic codes.
Called the dealership to come get it and they couldnt send someone till Wednesday as this was late Saturday and the Monday was a Stat Holiday here in BC.
Bike is still in the shop today and tye have not even looked at it.
Oh yeah, I have extended service plan that covers the wheels/tires and wouldnt you know it, i found a effin nail in the front tire too.
So, do I win the T-shirt too, LOL ?
Sucks when it happens to on of us ...I do recall in the owners manual there is a line or two about limp mode and the generic warning about dangers, but it also suggest the limp mode can be cleared by two cycles of the ignition switch...that maybe for earlier generations of the tbw though.
Couple of points of interest:
My extended SP covers up to $200.00 towing per event.
$50.000 deductible for Covered events.
Courtesy car up to $750.00 per event.
And some accommodations per event.
Trouble is one does not know what is actually covered until diagnosis .... so I'm waiting with abated breath on hearing from the Dealership in a timely fashion.
Rob
I had my 2011 FLHX do the limp mode thang last year. I consulted this forum, and discovered that one way to fix it was to remove the large connector on the throttle body, douche with contact cleaner, let it dry, apply dielectric grease, and reconnect. Did just that, not a problem since. Some suggest doing that at every oil change...which I haven't done.

You might think about grabbing your sled back from the dealer and doing that. There has also been discussion here about changing out the gold terminals in the cannon plug, again, something I haven't done yet.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:51 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I had it happen on my 09 and cycling the ignition worked until I got home and got to the connector on the throttle body. I cleaned it and greased it every time I cleaned the K&N and never had an issue again.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:01 AM
Shawn Thomas
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sechracer
I'm just blown away by the cost for the tow..... $800+? Around here that wouldn't even hit $300 in the middle of the night.....
As said before, the power vision should clear the codes.... I would wait to tune though because of the warranty....
Due to the tens of thousands of bikes in the area. Should have been about $67 according to the HOG guy on the phone.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:04 AM
Shawn Thomas
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Veekness
I had my 2011 FLHX do the limp mode thang last year. I consulted this forum, and discovered that one way to fix it was to remove the large connector on the throttle body, douche with contact cleaner, let it dry, apply dielectric grease, and reconnect. Did just that, not a problem since. Some suggest doing that at every oil change...which I haven't done.

You might think about grabbing your sled back from the dealer and doing that. There has also been discussion here about changing out the gold terminals in the cannon plug, again, something I haven't done yet.
Thanks for the tip. I think that's exactly what the dealer did. Bike is back now, made it home fine. Crossing fingers this doesn't happen again. After more research, I'm thinking if I cleared the codes through the odometer, screwed with the plug, and cycled the ignition, maybe I would have been on my way again.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:23 AM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Thomas
Thanks for the tip. I think that's exactly what the dealer did. Bike is back now, made it home fine. Crossing fingers this doesn't happen again. After more research, I'm thinking if I cleared the codes through the odometer, screwed with the plug, and cycled the ignition, maybe I would have been on my way again.
definately would've been the way to go, at least worth a try before calling a tow truck

Old 08-13-2018, 03:58 PM
Haarley
Road Master
Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo
We were in the Black Hills the entire week before the rally started.
Even then the line going into Devils Tower stretched from the trading post back almost to the highway.
There were several thousand bikes in the area that week, and I never once saw one broke down.
Statements like that are 0% helpful for the riders who did have a problem.

The following 3 users liked this post by Haarley:
Geoff (08-14-2018), RandyL (09-05-2018), Veekness (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 07:00 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

So sorry to hear of your troubles; I most certainly would not have been in a good mood over the whole affair!

Glad you're up and running.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:40 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Haarley
Statements like that are 0% helpful for the riders who did have a problem.
Sorry to let some "facts" get in your way.
I don't see where you were any more helpful.

The OP only joined this forum to complain about his POS Harley.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:10 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

all the while ignoring that people did in "fact" have breakdowns.

no sense letting worthless conversation go by.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:19 AM
Shawn Thomas
6th Gear

I joined back in April, as you can plainly see to the right. I joined to research the M8 and touring bikes before buying one. I just haven't had a reason to post yet.

The following users liked this post:
Tony P (08-14-2018)

Quick Reply: New Street Glide limped at the entrance to Devil's Tower during Sturgis rally