Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oem or ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 11:34 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts
Default oem or ???

my stator decided to ground out sunday after a nice ride in the rain. I am looking to replace it asap, and am looking for any advice on which brands are good better and best. I have been doing a lot of reading and was hoping for some real life input. Thanks in advance. 2000 ultra classic fuel injected.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:33 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

Search the forum and Cyclelectric will come up often : http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/

Old 08-08-2018, 06:41 AM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by svarnster
my stator decided to ground out sunday after a nice ride in the rain. I am looking to replace it asap, and am looking for any advice on which brands are good better and best. I have been doing a lot of reading and was hoping for some real life input. Thanks in advance. 2000 ultra classic fuel injected.
You've done the continuity and volt meter test to insure it's not the voltage regulator. Also, might be a possibility that a faulty VR shorted the stator. I had a CycleElectric VR on my previous bike and was very impressed with it, it's weight the size of the heat sinks etc. Made in America and not much more than the very lightweight HD version.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:30 AM
svarnster
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oldhippie
You've done the continuity and volt meter test to insure it's not the voltage regulator. Also, might be a possibility that a faulty VR shorted the stator. I had a CycleElectric VR on my previous bike and was very impressed with it, it's weight the size of the heat sinks etc. Made in America and not much more than the very lightweight HD version.
I unplugged stator from vr and set the meter to ohms positive lead to the pins in the plug and the negative lead to the primary cover bolt and got a reading of .3 I understand that I should not get a reading at all. So based on this I believe the stator is shorted to ground. I am also getting a weird smell when bike is running. and no charge going to battery. I also did bleed test on vr and that checked correctly.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:26 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,413 Likes on 4,017 Posts

Pop your primary derby cover.... if you toasted the stator, you can usually smell it in the primary....

But..... the VR, Stator, and battery work as a team. I always check them all, when one takes a dump. It is possible for a bad stator to kill a VR , and vise versa.... Sounds like you may have caught it soon enough not to worry about the battery...

Good luck with the repair...

Old 08-08-2018, 10:56 AM
svarnster
Road Warrior

I am debating on just the stator or possibly doing the cycle electric 3 phase. I am going to test the vr again trying to make sure it is good before I decide.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:28 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,312 Likes on 2,358 Posts

If you are the original owner of the bike I'm quite surprised the stator lasted this long. +1 with Cycle Electric products.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:39 PM
st john
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

My short answer is, under warranty OEM, out of warranty after market, preferably Made in the USA.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:43 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,620 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Heres whats left of OEM stators I've replaced in the last 9 years. Cycle electric installed this time, I was impressed with the weight and quality. I expect it to last much longer this time.

The following users liked this post:
svarnster (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 12:12 AM
svarnster
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rizzo
Heres whats left of OEM stators I've replaced in the last 9 years. Cycle electric installed this time, I was impressed with the weight and quality. I expect it to last much longer this time.

ow that looks awful. I am going to open it up, and see how bad it looks. I was gonna order parts first but I better have a look first. I am leaning towards the cycle electric 3 phase system. If it looks anything like the above pics. thanks for the insight

Quick Reply: oem or ???