Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Road King engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 12:43 PM
xxjutexx
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 09 Road King engine swap

Hey guys,

A buddy of mine just upgraded his trike to a 120 from a 103. After building his engine up, he didnt think it was fast enough so he decided he'll just go up to 120 and build that up. So he now has a built 103 in his garage. That engine was fast! I remember not being able to keep up with him when we both take off at the same time. And mind you that is a fully loaded trike!

Enough with the back story. I was fortunate enough to get that motor from him for a whopping $0.. (Nice to have generous friends!) Anyways, come fall/winter months, i would be doing the swap myself. Only because i want to learn how to do it and partially too cheap to spend 2k for the dealer to do the swap.

Would I need any special tools on doing this project? I know HD loves to throw parts in their product using weird tools. Ive been doing research and i cant seem to find anything about special tools needed. I just want to confirm that from you guys.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Old 08-16-2018, 01:12 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

The service manual is invaluable as it will detail the sequence of removal and installation to include all of the important torques, etc. You will not only need tools to remove the motor / primary / drive system but also the gaskets and seals for reassembly. Furthermore, as you are going from a stock 96"? to a performance 103" you will need to upload a new map to the ECM. What about intake and exhaust for this high performance 103"? Are you running a stock exhaust on your current motor?

So, not only do you need the tools, manuals, gasket kits, you potentially need other supporting parts to complete the swap? You may find that by the time you cost all of this out it may be less expensive to upgrade your current motor?

Last but not least, I don't know about Washington, but here in California the engine is part of the bikes title. What are the rules in Washington for replacing motors?

Old 08-16-2018, 01:18 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,621 Likes on 9,824 Posts

Originally Posted by xxjutexx
Hey guys,

A buddy of mine just upgraded his trike to a 120 from a 103. After building his engine up, he didnt think it was fast enough so he decided he'll just go up to 120 and build that up. So he now has a built 103 in his garage. That engine was fast! I remember not being able to keep up with him when we both take off at the same time. And mind you that is a fully loaded trike!

Enough with the back story. I was fortunate enough to get that motor from him for a whopping $0.. (Nice to have generous friends!) Anyways, come fall/winter months, i would be doing the swap myself. Only because i want to learn how to do it and partially too cheap to spend 2k for the dealer to do the swap.

Would I need any special tools on doing this project? I know HD loves to throw parts in their product using weird tools. Ive been doing research and i cant seem to find anything about special tools needed. I just want to confirm that from you guys.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
I'd be leery of the $0 price tag.....but I am not the type that likes owing anybody Id say a hammer, duct tape and some wire ties will get it done...

Old 08-16-2018, 01:27 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 236 Likes on 155 Posts

I have changed a motorcycle engine in California. You need a bill of sale or anything showing it’s origin. Then DMV will send you to the highway patrol to check the engine vin to make sure it isn’t stolen and then you will receive an amended title showing the updated engine vin. It’s just paperwork

Old 08-16-2018, 01:32 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 236 Likes on 155 Posts

Besides standard mechanic tools the only thing I know you will need is something to lock the primary to loosen and tighten the nuts on the compensator and clutch hub. Some people buy a tool and some just use a length of wood

Old 08-16-2018, 02:29 PM
xxjutexx
Advanced

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
I'd be leery of the $0 price tag.....but I am not the type that likes owing anybody Id say a hammer, duct tape and some wire ties will get it done...
Hes a very good friend of mine. Id say the $0 price tag will even out most of the stuff we've done together.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:31 PM
xxjutexx
Advanced

Originally Posted by cncmike
Besides standard mechanic tools the only thing I know you will need is something to lock the primary to loosen and tighten the nuts on the compensator and clutch hub. Some people buy a tool and some just use a length of wood
Thank you! I will look into that. I dont mind buyimg the tools. I just need to know what I need to get. Im sure we have most of the mechanic tools needed, just the special ones im worried about.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:33 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,621 Likes on 9,824 Posts

Originally Posted by xxjutexx
Hes a very good friend of mine. Id say the $0 price tag will even out most of the stuff we've done together.
That's col, I have a few friends like that . they're like brothers.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:43 PM
xxjutexx
Advanced

Originally Posted by mmesa005
The service manual is invaluable as it will detail the sequence of removal and installation to include all of the important torques, etc. You will not only need tools to remove the motor / primary / drive system but also the gaskets and seals for reassembly. Furthermore, as you are going from a stock 96"? to a performance 103" you will need to upload a new map to the ECM. What about intake and exhaust for this high performance 103"? Are you running a stock exhaust on your current motor?

So, not only do you need the tools, manuals, gasket kits, you potentially need other supporting parts to complete the swap? You may find that by the time you cost all of this out it may be less expensive to upgrade your current motor?

Last but not least, I don't know about Washington, but here in California the engine is part of the bikes title. What are the rules in Washington for replacing motors?
I have a 96 engine with cams, rods, exhaust, etc, which all of it we installed ourselves. I know that i would need to remap my tuner for all that. Thats one thing I'm gonna have the dealer do actually. Once everything is set and done, i would trailer my bike to get it dyno tuned.

I also got all the gaskets needed for the swap. We are actually doing this swap in a mechanic shop (car repair) so most of the basic tools needed will be available. Im just not sure of any special tools.

In regards to engine swap in Washington, thats a very good question. I dont know of any rules about changing them. Maybe i should look into that as well. When my buddy got his swapped, he didnt mention anything about contacting DMV. hopefully its just a california law.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:43 PM
xxjutexx
Advanced

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
That's col, I have a few friends like that . they're like brothers.
Exactly!

Quick Reply: 09 Road King engine swap