Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First oil change on my 2010 Street Glide and oil plug is leaking....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 05:57 PM
TravisD27
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation First oil change on my 2010 Street Glide and oil plug is leaking....

I didn't have any problems with my transmission or primary plug but I noticed my oil drain plug was harder to screw in. I could only get it half way finger tight and had to use a ratchet to tighten it down the rest of the way. I checked the plug several times before screwing it down but it didnt appear to be cross threaded or anything. I noticed today that it is leaking slightly and my new rubber o ring was squashed out and actually broke.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:02 PM
TravisD27
Cruiser

i ordered a new oil drain plug with a rubber washer and another new o ring to see if that stops it. Anybody else have a problem like this

Old 08-16-2018, 06:20 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Just snug it up and then a tweek more.
Always use the drain plug oil ring one time only...
Rob

Old 08-16-2018, 06:25 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,913 Likes on 2,812 Posts

A bit concerned that it required a ratchet to draw it close to home ..... I use a socket head spun with my fingers only (no ratchet connected) simply because of where the plug resides. Would it spin on for you in that fashion or are you encountering pretty good resistance against the threads ? Hoping it's not the threads in the engine case.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:30 PM
TravisD27
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Northern Glide
A bit concerned that it required a ratchet to draw it close to home ..... I use a socket head spun with my fingers only (no ratchet connected) simply because of where the plug resides. Would it spin on for you in that fashion or are you encountering pretty good resistance against the threads ? Hoping it's not the threads in the engine case.
Thats what I was worried about also but its not alot of resistance. Once I use a ratchet I barley have to apply pressure to get it screw down. I just noticed on my primary and transmission I didn't need to do that

Old 08-16-2018, 07:16 PM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Was there any old thread sealant on the plug when you took it out? If so, did you get the threads (plug and drain hole) nice and clean before you put it back in? A lot of people use thread sealant or Teflon tape on their drain plugs. I wonder if the previous owner did and there was some residue left behind?

Old 08-16-2018, 07:25 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,913 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Originally Posted by blackxpress
Was there any old thread sealant on the plug when you took it out? If so, did you get the threads (plug and drain hole) nice and clean before you put it back in? A lot of people use thread sealant or Teflon tape on their drain plugs. I wonder if the previous owner did and there was some residue left behind?
Yes - great point. Nice 'n clean and a new proper o-ring could be the ticket! New thread sealant (not a fan of Teflon tape) as a last resort.......

Old 08-16-2018, 07:36 PM
Rustyg500
Road Captain
Received 200 Likes on 106 Posts

I would chase the threads with a tap cleaning them out real good. Clean plug real good and coat with pipe sealant, use new O-Ring, finger tighten the plug using a socket to hold it then torque to specs if you have a torque wrench or just tweak the plug a 1/2 turn or so passed finger tight.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:48 PM
TravisD27
Cruiser

Originally Posted by blackxpress
There was some thread sealant on the plug. I never really cleaned the drain hole very good. I hate to waste the new oil by removing the plug now. Im probably gonna just wait to next oil change since its not really leaking bad and then Ill clean everything real good before putting in the new plug. Hopefully that will fix the problem. It does bother me seeing those little drops of oil on the ground though lol I did put some black RTV sealant around the plug hoping that would make it stop until next oil change. Im gonna check it the morning to see if that worked

Last edited by TravisD27; 08-16-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:03 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisD27
There was some thread sealant on the plug. I never really cleaned the drain hole very good. I hate to waste the new oil by removing the plug now. Im probably gonna just wait to next oil change since its not really leaking bad and then Ill clean everything real good before putting in the new plug. Hopefully that will fix the problem. It does bother me seeing those little drops of oil on the ground though lol I did put some black RTV sealant around the plug hoping that would make it stop until next oil change. Im gonna check it the morning to see if that worked
The oil is fresh right? Just clean around the drain, use a clean catch pan to drain into, replace the plug with a new o ring after cleaning threads on both bolt and block and reuse the oil. Strain it if you're really that concerned.
That's what I would do anyway.

Quick Reply: First oil change on my 2010 Street Glide and oil plug is leaking....