Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 06:50 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide

google htt abs cutaway pictures

A link DIRECTLY to the BWI website where the diagram and abs pics were posted is in a htt thread dated Nov of 2015. However, BWI removed the HD abs info.
Added a URL to your post.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:00 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,412 Likes on 4,016 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Ha Ha. That's what I thought you would say. Another forum "expert" goes down in flames.

You're joking right.... what has he got to do? He gave you everything you asked for, and you still don't believe him..!?!?!

OK then.... prove him wrong.... Oh wait, that would require you to actually put out some effort and think for yourself... never mind....

Old 09-19-2018, 09:34 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,255 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Ha Ha. That's what I thought you would say. Another forum "expert" goes down in flames.
Yeah the one quoting the manual..

Old 09-19-2018, 10:57 AM
Chasarms
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer the OP, no, there is no timing limitation. I had mine flushed about a month before the recall came out. The dealership tested the fluid for moisture and recommended it. After the recall, I went to the dealer to see if they would refund me. The service manager said no, but I could just wait and get my freebie in two years.

FYI, if you take your bike to any dealer's service department for any reason, they will do the recall fluid change if your VIN is still open. I had problems on the road and had to take my bike to a dealer in Louisville, Kentucky. They changed the fluid again even though it had been a few months before. Service manager didn't even tell me he was doing it. I lost my future freebie.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:59 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Well, I'm not going to debate whether or not that is a diagram of an H-D ABS system, but can you show us where these so-called accumulators are located and how much of this trapped brake fluid doesn't get flushed? Also, while you're at it, can you provide any reliable references for the information your are providing? If, what you say is accurate, how do you explain the manual providing instructions on how to replace (flush) the brake fluid without mentioning anything about accessing this trapped brake fluid or activating the ABS?
I'm not exactly sure where KumaRide acquired that diagram, but I'm willing to bet it's not a diagram for any H-D ABS system. And, the photos of the mutilated HCU doesn't confirm, at least to me, that there are inaccessible reservoirs of brake fluid. Maybe he can elaborate and give more details.

As has been documented, the manual gives specific guidelines on brake fluid "replacement" (flushing), which does not require activating the ABS. So, I'm going with the manual. You're certainly free to take it to the dealer.
Definitely no expert. Had an abs failure three years ago and know who and where the credible sources are.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:34 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

It you spend some time looking at the cutaway and the diagram, you can see that they match.

BTW, I'm likely wrong on which valve sticks after studying the diagram.. Normally the red valve is open and the blue valve is closed (the position is shown clearly in the updated diagram) It's the red valve that sticks closed if the lever is hard. If brake lever pressure goes away the blue calve it stuck open. Red valve closes on ABS event and blue valve opens. The ABS modulates the valves set breaking force With the red valve closed no pressure get to the caliper and the lever becomes rock hard.

During a good flush the valves need cycling (arrows ) . Red lines showing areas where flushing without cycling are missed. The accumulator and pump could also use some movement but probably not much of a problem.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:24 PM
Essbaum
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
I still find it hard to believe this problem affects only 2008 - 2011 models "Because so and so did not flush their brake fluid every 2 years" and that the MoCo is NOT at fault.
And before someone starts it, brake fluid was attracting moisture before 2008 and didn't stop attracting moisture after 2011.
Nah, and I don't want to hear about the new type brake fluid either.
Why not the 2012 models too?
The MoCo is playing CYA.
I smell BS.
BS is correct. My 12 had the same problem. Module was beyond repair. I have only owned it a year.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:38 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Essbaum
BS is correct. My 12 had the same problem. Module was beyond repair. I have only owned it a year.
I'll agree.. The hole thing smells like a ton of rotting salmon.. The recall lets HD test your bikes ABS then charge you for any repairs.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:22 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm not exactly sure where KumaRide acquired that diagram, but I'm willing to bet it's not a diagram for any H-D ABS system. And, the photos of the mutilated HCU doesn't confirm, at least to me, that there are inaccessible reservoirs of brake fluid. Maybe he can elaborate and give more details.

As has been documented, the manual gives specific guidelines on brake fluid "replacement" (flushing), which does not require activating the ABS. So, I'm going with the manual. You're certainly free to take it to the dealer.
Originally Posted by Max Headflow
It you spend some time looking at the cutaway and the diagram, you can see that they match.

BTW, I'm likely wrong on which valve sticks after studying the diagram.. Normally the red valve is open and the blue valve is closed (the position is shown clearly in the updated diagram) It's the red valve that sticks closed if the lever is hard. If brake lever pressure goes away the blue calve it stuck open. Red valve closes on ABS event and blue valve opens. The ABS modulates the valves set breaking force With the red valve closed no pressure get to the caliper and the lever becomes rock hard.

During a good flush the valves need cycling (arrows ) . Red lines showing areas where flushing without cycling are missed. The accumulator and pump could also use some movement but probably not much of a problem.

Glad you were able to understand the "mutilated" abs cutaway Max.

Originally Posted by Essbaum
Yes indeed, pure crap. Please report to NHTSA if you have not already.

Post 51:

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Their have been reports of some 2012 abs failing. The NHTSA investigation is not a complete and thorough investigation. The number of bikes listed in the recall is ridiculously low.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:07 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Good info in this thread.

I swung by the local dealer yesterday to get some brake fluid for flushing the bikes before winter storage. Popped back to Service to talk w/ the service manager about the recall and flush etc.- specifically in regard to the 08 I own w/ ABS. I asked what happens if I bring in the bike, they do the flush and the ABS unit fails. I mentioned based upon reading, I'm not seeing a replacement part for that unit (for 2008s). He seemed to assume the newer ABS part would fit the 08, but when looking it up, he found out it is not backwards compatible (as has been discussed on the HDF). He wasn't a dick about it, and he had a similar look of confusion about all of this as many of us do.

My bike is fine now....but in being proactive, I am wondering where this will go if the ABS unit on this 2008 Ultra fails at some point. Wondering how others are handling that. Maybe best discussed in a diff thread specifically about 08s w/ ABS. I may start that thread shortly....
My questions revolve around the nuclear option of removing ABS from the bike (if left no other choice due to component failure).
Also not sure of the legality of removing or disabling ABS....can one sell their bike if they do that? (again, if left no other choice due to component failure). Guessing a HD dealer would not accept that as a trade in. Could prob sell private party.

Last edited by F150HD; 09-23-2018 at 09:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Recall