Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Stone through drive belt advice (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1255842-stone-through-drive-belt-advice.html)

bagga 10-02-2018 07:18 AM

i had a stone go thru mine when i was about 1300 miles from home. i pushed the stone out with a screwdriver and rode it home. i rode it like that for 11 more years and the only reason i changed it was because the teeth on the whole belt started to peel off.

TheGrandPoohBah 10-02-2018 07:51 AM

Text book wound OK to ride, but it would bug the pizz outta me, so I would replace it.

SBates08 10-02-2018 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
Am I having hallucinations?
You most DEFINITELY have sprocket damage !
.It will probably go another 1000 miles or so..
But every time that sprocket comes around it is injuring the belt somewhere else.
I would at least take the rough edges off the sprocket.
Not a full-blown emergency yet.........but getting there.

Yes you are. The only pic that shows the sprocket, you're looking at the top of the belt, not the sprocket.
Personally I'd run it. These belts are a lot stronger than you think.

Sam2010 10-02-2018 09:00 AM

I've seen a belt go a long ways with a hole like that in the middle. Not mine personally but a buddy. That was me I would replace it first chance I got but I wouldn't hesitate to run it.

hattitude 10-02-2018 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah (Post 17725526)
Text book wound OK to ride, but it would bug the pizz outta me, so I would replace it.

:icon_that:

I've heard of a few cases personally, and read several on forums, of holes like that where the belt went many thousands of miles without an incident. If you don't do burnouts or attempt wheelies, that belt will probably last just as long as it would have without the puncture, as long as it receives no more damage.

But it would always be in the back of my mind, whispering to me that it should be changed. I'd change it at the first, convenient moment, just to quiet the voices in my head...! Well, at least it would quiet one of the voices in my head....

sailmotion 10-02-2018 03:01 PM

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong" - why help it along?

dave grider 10-02-2018 03:02 PM

Replace it

markwolula 10-02-2018 06:41 PM

Thanks for all the replies fella's …
I have ordered new belt and parts for belt replacement, should all be delivered early next week ....
I am going on my three day ride this weekend as I am confident that all will/should be good … If the damage was on the edges of the belt and more substantial , it would be a no go.... Of course I will check along the way. …. The comments that ,, "It will be on your mind etc", no doubt will come into play.... Cheers …..

FLSTC-Dave 10-02-2018 06:48 PM

If it's gonna be on your mind all the time and keeping you up all replace it. Otherwise ride on

470004 10-03-2018 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by dave grider (Post 17726624)
Replace it

Agree!