Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   New guy needs help with unexplained wobble (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1256907-new-guy-needs-help-with-unexplained-wobble.html)

Markroadking 10-09-2018 07:04 PM

New guy needs help with unexplained wobble

I really need some help!!! I’ve owned a 06 Road King since 07 and really don’t ride it that much, but have managed to put 13k on it since 07. Last week I took it to the dealership for an oil change and decided to put new tires on it and have spokes checked and tightened. Pick her up Friday and road to my sons soccer game 2 hours away. The bike road like brand new. Everything was tight and really enjoyed the ride. On my way back I stopped and met my family for dinner. About 30 min back on the highway I noticed that the bike felt like it was on ice. No vibration, just a very uncontrollable feeling. I havd to decrease my speed from 70mph to 45 mph and then finally pulled off on my exit and checked my tires. Everything looked ok so I proceeded on trying to get the bike back home. I had to decrease my speed to just under 20mph before I finally had to park the bike and call my wife to pick me up. Harley cane and picked up the bike the next day and 2 different techs road it today for 20-30 min and could not find anything wrong with it. I really need some help, my first response was to sell the bike. I’ve got a family that depends on me and quite honestly I’m scared of the bike now. The only way I can explain the feeling is that it feels like you are on ice sliding from one side of the road to the other. Any help would be much appreciated.

oldhippie 10-09-2018 07:12 PM

tire pressure way down?

If it's not tire pressure I'd go ride it and see if it still doing it, ...wouldn't be the first time a tech found something not done right, makes it right and then doesn't own up to it. Just saying, if they say it's fixed, go see.

2wheelwanderer 10-09-2018 07:19 PM

Tire pressure
If your tires are 10 years old, they shouldn't be. Even if the tread is good as yours probably is with minimal riding, the tires need replaced if they are the originals. Go with a good tire, which is a thread unto itself. I personally like Metzlers. Many dislike Dunlop. If you can take the wheels in off the bike and take them in loose you'll save yourself a chunk of change.

Good luck and keep us posted!

albatross 10-09-2018 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheelwanderer (Post 17745495)
Tire pressure
If your tires are 10 years old, they shouldn't be. Even if the tread is good as yours probably is with minimal riding, the tires need replaced if they are the originals. Go with a good tire, which is a thread unto itself. I personally like Metzlers. Many dislike Dunlop. If you can take the wheels in off the bike and take them in loose you'll save yourself a chunk of change.

Good luck and keep us posted!

The OP said he had new tires put on- pressure would be the first thing I’d check.

GalvTexGuy 10-09-2018 07:32 PM

New tires will definitely ride differently than old worn tires. Also, different road surfaces will affect the feel, as well.

ve9aa 10-09-2018 07:37 PM

Don't new tires have a greasy (preservative) substance on them?

Checking pressure is the first thing I'd do though.

Markroadking 10-09-2018 07:42 PM

I did not check the pressure, but the bike road perfect for 75% of the trip and then progressively got worse over 3 different asphalt conditions. Like I said I was running about 70 then had to slow to 45 on the four lane and then finally down to 25 on the secondary roads before I finally had to park it. I thought I was going to have to get off and push. What do you guys think about the bearings. Could this be the issue? Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions.

ve9aa 10-09-2018 07:50 PM

Can't you run outside and check the pressure NOW ?

Maybe one of them has a leak, or you ran over some diesel, etc etc.

In 5 minutes you could be back on here with (possibly) an answer...........or, you are just stringing us all along..........which happens ALL TOO FREQUENTLY these days. Sigh

GalvTexGuy 10-09-2018 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Markroadking (Post 17745444)
Harley cane and picked up the bike the next day and 2 different techs road it today for 20-30 min and could not find anything wrong with it.

Have you ridden it since then?

kel03 10-09-2018 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Markroadking (Post 17745599)
I did not check the pressure, but the bike road perfect for 75% of the trip and then progressively got worse over 3 different asphalt conditions. Like I said I was running about 70 then had to slow to 45 on the four lane and then finally down to 25 on the secondary roads before I finally had to park it. I thought I was going to have to get off and push. What do you guys think about the bearings. Could this be the issue? Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions.

Wait a second here, have you rode the bike since the tech's checked it out? They may have fixed something they didn't want to own up to when they said it was ok. Please let us know. It may be ok now.
From your first post, sounded like low tire pressures, that's pretty easy to check.