New guy needs help with unexplained wobble - Harley Davidson Forums

Go Back  Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Reload this Page >

New guy needs help with unexplained wobble

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy needs help with unexplained wobble

Old 10-09-2018, 07:04 PM
Markroadking
Default New guy needs help with unexplained wobble

I really need some help!!! Iíve owned a 06 Road King since 07 and really donít ride it that much, but have managed to put 13k on it since 07. Last week I took it to the dealership for an oil change and decided to put new tires on it and have spokes checked and tightened. Pick her up Friday and road to my sons soccer game 2 hours away. The bike road like brand new. Everything was tight and really enjoyed the ride. On my way back I stopped and met my family for dinner. About 30 min back on the highway I noticed that the bike felt like it was on ice. No vibration, just a very uncontrollable feeling. I havd to decrease my speed from 70mph to 45 mph and then finally pulled off on my exit and checked my tires. Everything looked ok so I proceeded on trying to get the bike back home. I had to decrease my speed to just under 20mph before I finally had to park the bike and call my wife to pick me up. Harley cane and picked up the bike the next day and 2 different techs road it today for 20-30 min and could not find anything wrong with it. I really need some help, my first response was to sell the bike. Iíve got a family that depends on me and quite honestly Iím scared of the bike now. The only way I can explain the feeling is that it feels like you are on ice sliding from one side of the road to the other. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:12 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member

tire pressure way down?

If it's not tire pressure I'd go ride it and see if it still doing it, ...wouldn't be the first time a tech found something not done right, makes it right and then doesn't own up to it. Just saying, if they say it's fixed, go see.

Last edited by oldhippie; 10-09-2018 at 07:18 PM. Reason: more ideas
Old 10-09-2018, 07:19 PM
2wheelwanderer
One Of The Regulars

Tire pressure
If your tires are 10 years old, they shouldn't be. Even if the tread is good as yours probably is with minimal riding, the tires need replaced if they are the originals. Go with a good tire, which is a thread unto itself. I personally like Metzlers. Many dislike Dunlop. If you can take the wheels in off the bike and take them in loose you'll save yourself a chunk of change.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 10-09-2018, 07:29 PM
albatross
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2wheelwanderer View Post
Tire pressure
If your tires are 10 years old, they shouldn't be. Even if the tread is good as yours probably is with minimal riding, the tires need replaced if they are the originals. Go with a good tire, which is a thread unto itself. I personally like Metzlers. Many dislike Dunlop. If you can take the wheels in off the bike and take them in loose you'll save yourself a chunk of change.

Good luck and keep us posted!
The OP said he had new tires put on- pressure would be the first thing Iíd check.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to albatross For This Useful Post:
2wheelwanderer (10-09-2018), jeeper101 (10-09-2018), nytryder (10-12-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 07:32 PM
GalvTexGuy
Outstanding HDF Member

New tires will definitely ride differently than old worn tires. Also, different road surfaces will affect the feel, as well.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:37 PM
ve9aa
Road Master

Don't new tires have a greasy (preservative) substance on them?

Checking pressure is the first thing I'd do though.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:42 PM
Markroadking
Default Reply

I did not check the pressure, but the bike road perfect for 75% of the trip and then progressively got worse over 3 different asphalt conditions. Like I said I was running about 70 then had to slow to 45 on the four lane and then finally down to 25 on the secondary roads before I finally had to park it. I thought I was going to have to get off and push. What do you guys think about the bearings. Could this be the issue? Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:50 PM
ve9aa
Road Master

Can't you run outside and check the pressure NOW ?

Maybe one of them has a leak, or you ran over some diesel, etc etc.

In 5 minutes you could be back on here with (possibly) an answer...........or, you are just stringing us all along..........which happens ALL TOO FREQUENTLY these days. Sigh

Old 10-09-2018, 07:50 PM
GalvTexGuy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Markroadking View Post
Harley cane and picked up the bike the next day and 2 different techs road it today for 20-30 min and could not find anything wrong with it.
Have you ridden it since then?

Old 10-09-2018, 07:57 PM
kel03
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Markroadking View Post
I did not check the pressure, but the bike road perfect for 75% of the trip and then progressively got worse over 3 different asphalt conditions. Like I said I was running about 70 then had to slow to 45 on the four lane and then finally down to 25 on the secondary roads before I finally had to park it. I thought I was going to have to get off and push. What do you guys think about the bearings. Could this be the issue? Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions.
Wait a second here, have you rode the bike since the tech's checked it out? They may have fixed something they didn't want to own up to when they said it was ok. Please let us know. It may be ok now.
From your first post, sounded like low tire pressures, that's pretty easy to check.

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: