Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy needs help with unexplained wobble

Old 10-09-2018, 08:01 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

Loose rear axle.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:04 PM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

If it handled fine before you took it to the shop it had to be something they did. I’m guessing either low tire pressure or a defective tire or both. I’ve had new tires installed at Harley dealers more than once and got them back with 32 psi, which is way too low. I’m more inclined to believe you have a defective tire and the defect doesn’t show up until the tire gets good and hot. The dealer techs are not going to take the time to run it long and hard on the interstate unless you force them to. Their idea of a test ride is a quick jaunt around the block. I would go back and make them prove those tires are inflated to 36 psi front and 40 psi rear cold. Then make them take it for a long run at 70 on the interstate before they tell you there’s nothing wrong with it. I can almost guarantee they did not duplicate the conditions. As for being scared of the bike I don’t know what to tell you. I’d be more scared of that dealer’s service dept. if it was me.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:06 PM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by bad tappets
Loose rear axle.
Hadn’t thought of that. Good point.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:07 PM
Markroadking
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not rode it yet.

They just called me at 6pm to let me know they could not find anything wrong with it and I could not get over there in time to pick it up. I have asked them to order me wheel bearing and replace them ASAP. They say bearings will be in and installed Friday so hopefully I can ride it then. I know the bearings are a shot in the dark, but I’ll try anything at this point. I can tell you that if i can’t figure this thing out I’m going to have one less toy in the garage.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:17 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

If they called and said its ready, why put in bearings???? Next you'll be putting in new axles.......Pick the bike up and try it first, they've given you the thumbs up for pick up.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:23 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts

I dunno man....I am not you, but seems like you're throwing money at the (now non-existent?) problem.
Even being pretty new to bikes, I would've rubbed my hand on the tires (to see if they were slick) and used an air tire gauge (that I have on the bike) to check both pressures
before calling the ol' ball n' chain and a dealer.

Easy peasy. You could do that on the side of the road.

Why do I feel like we're being slowly sucked into a thread that's not real?

Old 10-09-2018, 08:34 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,998 Likes on 1,998 Posts

For your own safety just give me the goddamn bike before your hurt yourself. Now if you have at least half a nut left between your legs your bike is fine. New tires have a mold releasing agent on them...makes them pretty damn slick for a while. Go ride carefully for awhile gradually increasing how far you lean over in corners, go easy on the throttle too. It doesn't take very long, couple miles to scrub them in if you're trying.That's all it is, the " techs" should have warned you about that when you picked up the bike the first time. So go ride or or ship it to me...i like new tires.

The following users liked this post:
jsrracing (10-20-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 08:49 PM
Markroadking
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Report Back

Hopefully will get it back Friday and report back to you guys on results. Thanks again for your help.

BTW not sure what’s up with the string you along thing. Can’t image why anyone would Spend the time writing back and forth for kicks.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:05 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by kel03
Wait a second here, have you rode the bike since the tech's checked it out? They may have fixed something they didn't want to own up to when they said it was ok. Please let us know. It may be ok now.
From your first post, sounded like low tire pressures, that's pretty easy to check.
That's what I think too, but the idea of bad belt in the tire and not happening till hot is another possibility, as is the loose axle, missing spacer etc type things.

But he has to go ride it again. Could be a case of magical being fixed... because they didn't want to own the problem.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:15 PM
rubberguy
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

what if the tires were mounted in reverse direction?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New guy needs help with unexplained wobble